Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diego's Fee

I know we have another thread but ......

Does anyone know the definitive answer to what sort of fee we are possibly due? I think we all agree that if he goes abroad we get diddly squat. Previously I was under the impression that if he joined a British club we would get 400k as agreed between the PL and FL. Someone then pointed out that applied to academy boys who had yet to sign a pro contract. Diego already had a pro contract, was offered a new contract on better terms, and so we are due compensation. Some have suggested it will just be to cover reasonable expenses to cover that that we have spent nurturing his talent. Some say that it will go to tribunal if we can't agree a fee with his new Club. Anyone know for definate?

Comments

• Huh?
  • It is a good question. He is not an academy player but a Charlton produced first team player under 23 - what is the procedure here?
  • probably 1.5mill or some such derisory amount, in relation to current worth/future potential and charlton's investment...and there's 34 mill!!!!! being quoted around luke shaw - i just don't see it.
  • A few hundred thousand. Completely takes the piss in my opinion.
  • 7.50 and a tub of quality street for the staff canteen
  • Diego who??
  • Move on.
  • I thought I read somewhere that we would get £400,000 as a cat 2 academy?
  • Sponsored links:

• We nurtured him, took him under our wing turned him into a decent youngster.

What do we get? Back pocket change.

Charlton Athletic "we grow your players for you"

Our new brand of advertisement.

• edited June 2014
    Dave2l said:

We nurtured him, took him under our wing turned him into a decent youngster.

That might have applied to some of our previous owners and there is nothing we can do about water under the bridge but for sure RD will will be a little more cute in tying down our youngsters in the future, mark my words.
  • RedChaser said:

Dave2l said:

That might have applied to some of our previous owners and there is nothing we can do about water under the bridge but for sure RD will will be a little more cute in tying down our youngsters in the future, mark my words.
    I'm not slagging the RD dogg off, just merely pointing out we literally cannot hold on to any decent youngster produced through our academy...reflecting the poor history of it.

Scott Parker is the success story that eventually went bad.

Richard Rufus counts amongst the odd one or two.
  • Dave2l said:

RedChaser said:

Dave2l said:

I'm not slagging the RD dogg off,
    ...shouldn't that be "the RDogg"?
  • edited June 2014
    Haven't we always been a selling club though, of course we have ever since I have been a supporter when Billy Bonds went to Wet Spam for £60k, Marvin Hinton went to Chelsea, Mike Bailey went to Wolves, Lenny Glover to Leicester, Alan Campbell to Brum and so on, what's new? Granted we got some decent fees for those players but that's the problem with having someone like the terrible twins in charge of us who just wanted out as soon as they could in the finish and to hell with any additional expense of securing not only the services of young Poyet but a number of last years first team squad.
    Edit; not to mention Paul Walsh and Paul Elliott to Luton.
  • Fucks sake

We will get absolute tops four hundred grand.

Complete bullshit, complete and utter bullshit

This should be bigger shakes than it is in the world outside of Charlton athletic

• We get given Titus Bramble
  • Thread titles missing an 'r'.
  • Couldn't he at least have signed a contract and then left so that we got a fee, like others have done before?
  • Couldn't he at least have signed a contract and then left so that we got a fee, like others have done before?

Yes, he could have, but he didn't. Perhaps that tells us we've been looking through rose-tinted specs and he's not as good as we think he is, so he needs to go on a(n almost) free to get a good contract at his new club.
  • Sponsored links:

Yea he could have done a parker. Parker didnt get any stick from what I can remember.
  • Parker was a completely different situation. He acted badly but in different circumstances.

Yes, he could have, but he didn't. Perhaps that tells us we've been looking through rose-tinted specs and he's not as good as we think he is, so he needs to go on a(n almost) free to get a good contract at his new club.
    Perhaps... Perhaps not.

Can you imagine an agent saying "my client isn't as good as you think he is" haha. I think he just knows that more big clubs will be willing to take a punt on him if he goes for almost free. In my opinion (and I am very level headed compared to some of the "MOVE ON" the second a player leaves brigade) but I don't see why he couldn't have signed a contract, played for us week in week out until say January and then got a fee.

I think academy players should show a tad more gratitude to the club that developed them.

Probably massively reducing any signing on fee! Just because Jenkinson did it, doesn't mean every player in the world should.

• Heard last night that it's 50/50 whether he stays here or goes abroad so wouldn't automatically assume we'll get a fee at this stage.
  • Carter said:

Fucks sake

We will get absolute tops four hundred grand.

Complete bullshit, complete and utter bullshit

This should be bigger shakes than it is in the world outside of Charlton athletic

Ok so we've invested time money and effort into the lad and it must be galling for many fans to think that we cannot cash in on him which I would feel the same if we didn't have pot to p*ss in but with RD's wealth that's no longer the case is it. No one will be gutted as much as RD to see this potential seven figure asset leave for considerably less but it's a situation he's inherited, tried to resolve but for sure will not allow to happen again.

As for the lad, his priorities have got to be to himself for his future in a very limited career span, surely. We can all question his loyalty and morals and compare his actions to those of Jon Jo but don't forget he was held back allegedly so as not to trigger certain pay clauses in his contact until his debut as a sub at Oxford. This together with the upheaval at the club both ownership and managerial may well have left him thinking 'sod it every man for himself come and get me'.

It leaves a sour taste for some but I'm indebted to him for his invaluable contribution to our relegation fight last season. It was a pleasure to have watched him in a Charlton shirt albeit for half a season and I wish him well for the future with no hard feelings, certainly without the benefit of all the facts anyway.
  • he could have done a Shelvey
  • I hope he goes to Chelsea where so many youngsters come through.
  • Found this video of Poyets agent talking to RD.....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ