Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Interesting. I live right by the Firepower museum so might enquire when it's finished.
  • thought it was fought on the continent, not here..

my 5 year old son is learning about WW1, seems a little bit young to me?
  • razil said:

thought it was fought on the continent, not here..

my 5 year old son is learning about WW1, seems a little bit young to me?

Never too young to learn Razil! I remember doing it at school when I was about his age and I've yet to start a war…outside of Charlton Life.
  • I thought you were talking about last years pitch.
  • "Come to the Barrack Field, Woolwich to see what life in a First World War trench was really like."

So, there'll be rats, lice, a foot of water in the bottom, and someone lobbing high explosive at you. I can't see that getting past the health and safety wallahs.
  • edited June 2014

"Come to the Barrack Field, Woolwich to see what life in a First World War trench was really like."

So, there'll be rats, lice, a foot of water in the bottom, and someone lobbing high explosive at you. I can't see that getting past the health and safety wallahs.

Probably......Its in woolwich after all. (:

• edited June 2014
    Been contacted by the MOD/CWG..... regarding my distant relative whose remains have been found re the first world war.
    http://www.sleafordtarget.co.uk/World-War-soldier-William-Singyard-reburied/story-20850233-detail/story.html
    I contacted Barry who is mentioned in the article, we have never met, but hope to meet up in October for the ceremony.
    My brother has been tracing our family history, and the first world war, and has been doing some research on it.
    My other Grandfather went to the front, and lost his brother in the war, which I had already visited.
    Ironically he used to maintain/manage the first world war memorial on Blackheath for the council up till the late 60's.
    The war of course had a profound effect on him, so I do have a sense of loyalty to attend this event.

• "Come to the Barrack Field, Woolwich to see what life in a First World War trench was really like."

That's Woolwich on a normal day mate.

Improving by the day, mate, improving by the day.

Having said that, I believe that "Firepower" is to close, and relocate, due to poor visitor numbers. Which is a shame.
  • Been contacted by the MOD/CWG..... regarding my distant relative whose remains have been found re the first world war.
    http://www.sleafordtarget.co.uk/World-War-soldier-William-Singyard-reburied/story-20850233-detail/story.html
    I contacted Barry who is mentioned in the article, we have never met, but hope to meet up in October for the ceremony.
    My brother has been tracing our family history, and the first world war, and has been doing some research on it.
    My other Grandfather went to the front, and lost his brother in the war, which I had already visited.
    Ironically he used to maintain/manage the first world war memorial on Blackheath for the council up till the late 60's.
    The war of course had a profound effect on him, so I do have a sense of loyalty to attend this event.

Ken I was with the CWGC today the planned date of the reburial has been provisionally booked for the week 20th October, will let you know if I hear further I will be across.

I would also recommend going to the Fire Power museum sooner rather than later as I believe it's future is far from secure, hope that's not the case. Thanks for sharing the link.
  • Sponsored links:

So you have to wonder why they need a special exhibition for it.

Improving by the day, mate, improving by the day.

Having said that, I believe that "Firepower" is to close, and relocate, due to poor visitor numbers. Which is a shame.
    Oh I know, I live there! I'm not surprised Firepower doesn't get any visitors as it's tucked away in what is effectively a housing estate.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Been contacted by the MOD/CWG..... regarding my distant relative whose remains have been found re the first world war.

Ken I was with the CWGC today the planned date of the reburial has been provisionally booked for the week 20th October, will let you know if I hear further I will be across.

I would also recommend going to the Fire Power museum sooner rather than later as I believe it's future is far from secure, hope that's not the case. Thanks for sharing the link.
    Thanks been told it is the morning of the 22nd October, a few weeks ago, but was going to double check with the email I got from them.
    Be grateful for any updates.....
    thanks ken