Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ITV shocked as key pundit Keane pulls out of World Cup

Comments

• Good pundit, at least he's interesting unlike many BBC pundits.
  • Good pundit, at least he's interesting unlike many BBC pundits.
  • 2nd World Cup he has walked out on.... no time for the man, should never be on tv giving his opinions after walking out in Ireland, ask Dean Kiely his opinion of the man
  • Not surprised, the prospect of being stuck in a studio for 4 weeks with Adrian Chiles is enough to put you off anything.
  • Keane was one of ITV's best pundits - do they have anyone else decent left ?
  • BBC have got Neil Lennon in so there must be fck all left
  • edited June 2014
    se9addick said:

Keane was one of ITV's best pundits - do they have anyone else decent left ?

Oh c'mon , the fella was such a miserable git and always had a downer on England , i know they have to show another point of view, but i like my England 'experts' to be tub thumping completely biased berks,sharing the joy, and inevitable misery with us, Roy Keane is perpetually miserable, he sucks any remaining joy there is out of football , they should stick him in panto in drag.

• https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/itv-shock-key-pundit-keane-pulls-world-cup-110851268.html

Phew , really pleased about this , can start to enjoy watching the footie on Itv now.

The rest would need to leave first before I could enjoy it. ITV's 'expert' panel and commentary teams have been consistently the worst on TV for a good 5 years at least.
  • I'd bring in Ian Holloway or Neil Warnock
  • Sponsored links:

• Hated him as a player but i like him as a pundit, will lessen ITV's coverage for me personally but they still beat BBC making us listen to Pulis and even worse Ferdinand.
  • edited June 2014
    I'm not saying the rest are tremendous either SE , you can always mute the tv and put the radio on , or failing that , put a Glen Hoddle diamond lights LP on instead.
  • edited June 2014
    I think opinionated pundits are the most interesting whether you agree with them or not! If I was a TV executive it would be a no brainer as far as I would be concerned to look for these! It is a TV job, not a managerial one. I have named two that would be better to listen to than their existing ones!
  • Your right Mutters, Holloway and Warnock would make interesting tv , they'd probably self combust , or end up in a cat fight if they were on at the same time.
  • Your right Mutters, Holloway and Warnock would make interesting tv , they'd probably self combust , or end up in a cat fight if they were on at the same time.

All the better!

• http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/62271/world-cup-brush-up-with-danny-baker#latest

As a cross reference to the Danny Baker programme thread, there were some brilliant old punditry moments from the 1970s, because the pundits didn't agree, and had completely different opinions which they weren't afraid to state. Keane at least was prepared to go against conventional opinion, 3 pundits all saying much the same thing is incredibly dull...
  • Miserable git anyway.

Makes CL posters look like they are overwhelmingly positive.
  • Brian Clough was great to listen to.
  • Training facilities below par or shocked that he would have to share a room with Adrian Chiles.
  • edited June 2014
    Club gig surely?

Keano walked out of the world cup because the Irish FA were still acting like its 1950. I respect that and also that McCarthy was disliked by staunch Republicans whereas jackie was taken to the bosom.

I dont have no problem with Eire's most cerebral player hating on the English a bit. When you represent a political sphere, you become a figurehead. He never wants to sell out and who can blame an Irishman for that?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014
    They can bring in Gary Neville after two England matches.
  • ITV Sports emergency meeting:

"Okay, we need someone quick who's currently out of work, Knows his football, comfortable in front of a camera, can also make people laugh and is very entertaining. Gentlemen, there's only one man for the job................."

• Number 2 at Villa
  • Don't know if I am right but itv always seem to be England's unlucky channel.
  • Club gig surely?

Keano walked out of the world cup because the Irish FA were still acting like its 1950. I respect that and also that McCarthy was disliked by staunch Republicans whereas jackie was taken to the bosom.

I dont have no problem with Eire's most cerebral player hating on the English a bit. When you represent a political sphere, you become a figurehead. He never wants to sell out and who can blame an Irishman for that?

I'm not sure Keane's "hating on the English"
  • edited June 2014
    Did he tell ITV they could stick it up their bollocks, like he did the FAI and McCarthy in 2002? Does anyone actually know how to "stick it up your bollocks"?
  • edited June 2014
    Here's an idea. What about no pundits? Just have Adrian Chiles and a stadium reporter. Throw to the stadium bloke who might be in the crowd soaking up the atmosphere or down in the tunnel actually getting some information about injuries, substitutions, red cards etc. Then a few replays of the key moments of the first half - and start the second half.

It might be a bit of a stretch for live football I guess - but MOTD should definitely revert back to the format of: highlights, then presenter says 'next Liverpool v Stoke' and into the next set of highlights. Dickie Davies style circa 1975. Shearer and co are painful to watch - and listen to.
  • If they want someone with tactical knowledge gained over many years, who "does like inverted wingers" and showed in his only appearances on the footy tactics show (or whatever it's called) that he has what it takes.....someone who stands by his decisions in key (FA Cup QF) games and is prepared to fall on his sword...

Then there is only one man for the job.
  • Shame to hear, I think he's actually a decent pundit.

He actually has an opinion. Chiles and the rest of them are just complete idiots.

Apparently John Terry is going to replace him... seriously.
  • edited June 2014
    Good. The World Cup is about joy and excitement. None of that when this miserable pratt is involved.