Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prem or Champ ?

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
So we go up(this season or next ,maybe) do we really want to be back hoping for that"Magic 40 points" geting hammered by TheGoonershits 4th eleven , being the very last on MoTD never geting mentioned when we play well and the pi55taking when we get hammered. Rodney Marsh/Gary Lineker. Then when we get bored of finishing 5/6/7th from bottommoaning mile f**k and hoping onhope if we spend pot fulls of cash we might just make 7th place, and if we dont that it dosnt bankrupt the club ???

Or better to stay in a naff league and be a bigger fish ,where we can play total shittte and still be up there ? where we can get tickets to the matches.

I dont think we will ever see the likes of SirClive,Hunt,Rufus,Powel,Parker,Costa,Konch,Young,Jenson,Di-Canio,LittleBent,Kinsella again.So maybe its about the day out out and mates and laughs and not about The Prem at all.

But maybe its all about achieving the highest level at all costs ?

Comments

• Champ all day long for me, or even League 1 or 2 rather than Prem.
  • Trouble is, if we stay in the Championship more than 2 years, we'll end up like another QPR or Crystal Palace, whoever they are.

We owe it to ourselves to get back to the Prem.
    Even an instant relegation comes with a £50 million instant handshake, more parachute money and selling Bougherra for £10 million.

Then we can try and do it all over again.
    Boing, boing as they say at West Brom.
  • In all aspects of life, you should always set out to achieve the highest level you can. But you don't want to sacrifice happiness along the way.

Unless there is a major self-destruction in the finances of the top 5-6 clubs, which will bring them back into line with the Prem 2nd tier pack, then i go against my original statement, because being fodder for the egos of the 'big clubs' simply does not interest me.
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Champ all day long for me, or even League 1 or 2 rather than Prem.
    I thought you were "more of a footballing fan than a Charlton fan". Surely being in the Premiership would suit you more then?

After half of this season, i definately want to be back up with the so called big boys. I've been so bored at a few matches this season, not saying that i'll stop going but i would much rather be watching us in the Premiership and those who say they would prefer not to are not real Charlton fans. ;-)

I don't want a "Pride and Championship" DVD in 8 years time for Christmas
  • i mean the standard of football is so chuff in the championship compared to the premiership and even if we win 5-0 against colchester it won't be anywhere near as pleasing as any premiership win IMO
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Trouble is, if we stay in the Championship more than 2 years, we'll end up like another Crystal Palace, whoever they are.

They go up this year. FACT.
  • Beating Colchester won't have the same feel as beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Spuds & Liverpool.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Champ all day long for me, or even League 1 or 2 rather than Prem.
    I thought you were "more of a footballing fan than a Charlton fan". Surely being in the Premiership would suit you more then?
    IMO The Premiership now has nothing to do with football.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Beating Colchester won't have the same feel as beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Spuds & Liverpool.

You only get 3 points whoever you beat.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    IMO The Premiership now hasnothingto do with football.

match of the day on saturday was probably one of the best i've ever seen plenty of quality entertaining football and a little bit of acting from fabregas and some fcuk ups from the lino at chelsea not forgetting man utd getting turned over by a miracle working manager, different gravy
  • Sponsored links:

• I was talking about how it feels to beat these overblown, over rated media circus type clubs.

And going into work on a Monday when people are full of sh!t saying how bad these teams were and giving no credit to Charlton for beating them - it made you feel warm inside.

Even 3 points against a team that we should beat 5-0 but may struggle to score at all, won't give the same glow of satisfaction.
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Beating Colchester won't have the same feel as beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Spuds & Liverpool.

Well said mate, I see exactly what everyone is saying about it being a bit more satisfying but we have to accept where we are at present and if we want to get back where we were it doesn't happen overnight and didn't before. Forget the championship season as that was much, much different.
  • Oohaah, you've just did it, focused on the big three in the Premiership, nothing about the other teams
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Beating Colchester won't have the same feel as beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Spuds & Liverpool.

Well said mate, I see exactly what everyone is saying about it being a bit more satisfying but we have to accept where we are at present and if we want to get back where we were it doesn't happen overnight and didn't before. Forget the championship season as that was much, much different.
    That wasnt the question though was it? Where would you prefer to be? Regardless of where we are now. In with a chance of beating the yiddos 1-0 or stuffing Colchester 5-0?

Then again, you are a closet Spurs fan so i know your answer...

I know you get three points regardless and i appreciate we are where we are but i don;t want to be here for too long. Yes, the Prem is dominated by a Big 4 at the moment but i'd rather be in the "Big 20" than "The Rest"
  • I'm interested in seeing Charlton getting 3 points, I don't give a monkeys who against.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Oohaah, you've just did it, focused on the big three in the Premiership, nothing about the other teams

That's all he ever does, that and his love-in with Mr Boring.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Oohaah, you've just did it, focused on the big three in the Premiership, nothing about the other teams

ok the miracle working manager was west hams, newcastle got turned over by a bad lino decision, everton failed to turn they're possession/domination into goals, spurs v reading was a classic end to end game of pure entertainment and not the greatest defending... pompey boro was boring...and villa had a very impressive away following at wigan:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm interested in seeing Charlton getting 3 points, I don't give a monkeys who against.
    Do you really think that mate?

If someone gave you a choice of what you'd prefer, a 1-0 win against Man U at OId Trafford or a 3-0 win over Barnsley at home you'd say "i don't care". I don't believe that for a second.

I know i've mentioned one of the big boys as well but being in the Premiership allows us to have the opportunity of those special days. Maybe if we spend enough time in the CCC, we'll see an away win at Southampton in the same light...
  • No I don't care, seriously, I liked being in the Premier League, but the sheer grind of a season where we were playing for nothing had sucked the life out of me.
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Trouble is, if we stay in the Championship more than 2 years, we'll end up like another Crystal Palace, whoever they are.

They go up this year. FACT.

100% agree davey, i am well scared of them now!! Sounds silly i know, but i would rather beat them, and not win at all till the end of the season, than lose but go up! I couldnt take losing them again (remember the night there 2 11 knocked out our 1sts and with 10 men!) I hated that!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]No I don't care, seriously, I liked being in the Premier League, but the sheer grind of a season where we were playing for nothing had sucked the life out of me.
    Yet we all strive to be there and moan if we are not playing well in our quest to get there.

Strange aint it!
  • I don't get the moaning, we're doing alright, window about to open to improve, and we can have a decent second half of the season
  • Prem any day even though we only got 2 mins on motd at least you had football first to watch the hour long highlights.

And before this turns in to a real fans dont need highlights as we are there already think back to when we did used to win away or get a good point how good it felt to get back put feet up and watch it all over again

On Saturday there was not a mention of us on soccer sat until they scored and until we equalised now that is a load of bollox.

we were only on radio kent and living here all i got was spuds 10 goal thriller

Prem all day long and this from a man who has rinsed free corporate hospitality due sponsers of league and all that would be gone if we go up and still i want us to go up
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]No I don't care, seriously, I liked being in the Premier League, but the sheer grind of a season where we were playing for nothing had sucked the life out of me.[/quote]

Maybe in the last couple of the Alan Cautiously seasons, Rothko.

But despite the ultimate disappointment of relegation, the roller coaster of the 2nd half of last season under Pards was one to remember. Beating West Ham so convincingly, the last minute winners against Villa & Wigan - even losing at Blackburn or all singing VFR together while Judas was banging in the final nail in our Prem coffin gave us the feeling that
    playing in the Prem was the place to be.
  • prem.
    palace and qpr are reletavely lucky. just look at swindon, bradford, forest & oldham.
    if we don't make the prem in the next few years the financial hardship will only increase along with the prem/champ gap. our gates will decrease.
    since leaving the valley we have been a club always striving for something.
    promotion during the first selhurst year.
    4 years trying to stay in the top flight with lennie houdini.
    the battle to get back to the valley including the valley party.
    building the valley from two ends with a temporary west stand & portakabins to what we have now.
    target 10,000 and the initiatives to further increase support.
    promotion again through the play-offs.
    the championship winning side.
    trying (and succeeding) to stay there with curbs.
    having our players recognised internationally.
    trying to push on and be a top 10 side.

imo, if we stop striving for these successes on and off the pitch, then we will fast become one of those previously mentioned clubs.
  • Premiership.

I loved seeing my Club take on the best in the English game week in week out at The Valley.

Curbs worked miracles to get and keep us there.

As I said elsewhere I probably won't see Charlton at the highest level again in my lifetime.
  • just give me a 3-0 against anybody please !

Havn't done it so far this season and not likely too either if the last 3 games are anything to go by.

Would like to be in the Prem but not just trying to survive alongside the other 8 scrappers. This season has had its share of rubbish but at least there has been something to fight for in every game. I have been supporting the club for over 30 years and the first 10 were spent watching us play in the lower division (s) and never thought we would do anything else. 1985/6 came along and somehow Sir Lennie got us into the top tier - got to see the big names then (Rush, Aldridge, Lineker,Shilton, etc) and took relegation when it inevitably happened in 1991. Season 97/98 was a surprise and webley a fantastic day and the result made it even more sweeter - didn't think we would survive but also didn't expect to be champions in 2000 either (13 game winning run - cant see that happening with any of the top 8 now).

Sadly, Sky's money and the Premiership has change football for good. The last 7 years were ok, but not as good as in late 80's. Just not the same. Then you had a chance of beating the top 4 (remember man U at home in 88 or 89, beating them the stay up) nowdays you have to do well not to get stuffed by 4 or 5. Look at Derby. Same as us in 98/99 - up via the play-offs, but we still had a chance with 1 game to go - they're down before January.

Not sure what point i'm trying to make - but prefer going to games knowing that we have at least half a chance than no chance at all
  • Even under Curbs we beat the top 4 occasionally. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool not forgetting the 3-3 thriller against Man Utd.
  • Prem, simply because the club can't survive in this league financialy.
  • For quality of football and finances i say prem all the way.

That said I have had a lot more fun this season, even with my ability to only go to the games we lose (Sheff Wed. apart). Mainly due to the completely massive drop in the quality of play on the pitch. The level of comedy play and officiating has led to far more laughter than I remember.

To be honest though I want us to be in the premier. Whilst I think we stand virtually no chance of breaking into the top 5-6 clubs I still live in hope that the number of clubs getting champs. league places will drop to three which will result is a slight reduction in the peak revenues of the top few teams.