Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5 - Popular Bands/Artists/genres you just don't get

Inspired by the fav bands thread.
Your top 5 popular bands/artists/genres you don't get. Please include reasons.
Remember its totally subjective, so no ones opinion is right (except mine...ahem) ;o)

Smiths - Morrisey sings flatter than a witches tit and is a tool.
Queen - Musically great but I just can't stand looking at Fred and when I listen to Queen thats all I can see.
Any rap artist - that has to sample someone else's hook line to try and sell their poetry, its a bit like an artist copying the Mona Lisa, popping a hat on her and passing it off as their own work.
Freeform Jazz - a bunch of people playing different tunes at the same time.
Pink Floyd - It just drones on and on and on....not for me.

Comments

• The Smiths/ Coldplay both just a whiney dirge to me.

Any of the Genesis, Yes, ELO type groups. Again they just seem to go on and on.
  • Stone Roses - not the band so much (decent first album!) but the near sanctification of them.

Club anthems - just don't get it - noise rather than music but I am an old git so could explain it.

I couldn't agree more with Greenie about freeform jazz - and I couldn't agree less with Greenie about Floyd!
  • Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Overrated horrifically cheesy horrible american crap. Reminds me of over-privileged skaters/snowboarders with dreads.
    The Stone Roses - Mediocre songs with a singer that can't sing, horrible production. Again, horribly overrated and hyped.
    The Flaming Lips - Pretentious and pompous. And this is coming from someone who enjoys 70's Genesis and Quadrophenia-era Who.
    David Bowie - All style no substance. Having said this I don't know anyone else who doesn't like him, so he must have something.
    David Gray/James Blunt/Ed Sheeran/Lana Del Ray - Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh. Vacuous products, not music.

• edited May 2014
    - Monotone, tinny, studenty indie music. Not Oasis, Blur - but the more modern sound which all sounds exactly the same. Maximo Park/Bloc Party shite.

- Drum and Bass. Bores the living daylights out of me. Once you have heard the first 20 seconds of the track it is pretty much all you need.

- Mumford & Sons/any kind of 2012 onwards folk tripe from young artists who seem to have come along with the trend of young people with beards.

Greenie - what is there not to like about Freddie Mercury?!
  • Elbow - mostly because I'm annoyed that everyone likes 'One Day Like This' so much. I find it boring.
    Bob Dylan - don't like his voice
    Sigur Ros - nothing by them really grabs me
    Bruce Springsteen - unmoved by Born in the USA and find it difficult to look past it (unfair, I know)
    Rolling Stones - Mick Jagger's posturing grates
  • cafctom said:

- Monotone, tinny, studenty indie music. Not Oasis, Blur - but the more modern sound which all sounds exactly the same. Maximo Park/Bloc Party shite.

- Drum and Bass. Bores the living daylights out of me. Once you have heard the first 20 seconds of the track it is pretty much all you need.

- Mumford & Sons/any kind of 2012 onwards folk tripe from young artists who seem to have come along with the trend of young people with beards.

Can't disagree with any of this!

• Ive not got a beard, i don't usually like folk music or in fact anything below 100 bpm, but i love Mumford & Sons!
  • I've already mentioned not 'getting' Queen on the other thread. I apologise in advance to anyone I might offend.

Madness: Children's novelty music. And Suggs sounds like he's talking, rather than singing, in every song of theirs I've heard.

And another one to put the cat among the pigeons: Frank Sinatra. Yes, I've been told many times that he is the consummate interpreter of the American songbook, but he still just reminds me of pub singers. 'BLOOOOO MOOOOON'

And another vote for the Floyd. Nah, just not for me.

Metal. I can't stand any form of metal, at all, but especially that kind where it's 7,000 BPM and the singing's just a guttural growl. That kind. Can't stand that.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom, I can't put my finger on it, older Fred (circa 1985)- I think I expect him to start dribbling or something, I know its irrational. Younger Fred (circa 75) he looks like an old aunt of mine, freaks me out big time.......like I said the music side is ok.....sorry!
  • Sponsored links:

• With the strange sh#t I listen to, I'm not commenting.
  • But I DO like avant-garde/free form jazz. John Coltrane's Interstellar Space. There's one to clear a room.
  • Any form of EDM music. David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia etc. Repetitive one-line garbage that all have the same beat behind it that people lap up.

Oasis - they're alright but I never understood the cult-like following of the brothers. Overrated is an understatement.

Jake Bugg - don't get the hype, there's many singer/songwriters that are better.

Miley Cyrus/Rihanna/Robin Thicke - basically any overly sexual pop song. Why do people not feel embarrassed after listening to the lyrics?
  • When Queen and Phil Collins come on the radio the speed I can turn it off is quite impressive. Queen too over dramatic and come across as members who should of all joined a different band but formed one together. Phil Collins sounds like a child star that never grew up and behaves like one too. Also don't like musicals, I like theatre plays and music but not mixed together.
  • Greenie said:

Inspired by the fav bands thread.
    Your top 5 popular bands/artists/genres you don't get. Please include reasons.
    Remember its totally subjective, so no ones opinion is right (except mine...ahem) ;o)

Smiths - Morrisey sings flatter than a witches tit and is a tool.
    Queen - Musically great but I just can't stand looking at Fred and when I listen to Queen thats all I can see.
    Any rap artist - that has to sample someone else's hook line to try and sell their poetry, its a bit like an artist copying the Mona Lisa, popping a hat on her and passing it off as their own work.
    Freeform Jazz - a bunch of people playing different tunes at the same time.
    Pink Floyd - It just drones on and on and on....not for me.

agree with all of it but Not Freddie ...embrace the Freddie !

cant stand the way Elton John sings now (basically in a lower key than before)

"faux glam rock " bands of the 70s ...Sweet ,Mud ,Gary Glitter,Alvin Stardust,Showaddy waddy etc

I dont mean bowie and bolan ...but i despise the phrase "reinventing himself"

• lolwray said:

"faux glam rock " bands of the 70s ...Sweet ,Mud ,Gary Glitter,Alvin Stardust,Showaddy waddy etc

Who are the "real glam rock" bands then? LOL

For me Mariah Carey and Celine Dion - I don't think I need to expand on that.

Most "Dance" music.

What they now refer to as R 'n' B.

Most Boy Band stuff (generally not the ones who play instruments, just the ones who only "sing").

Irish folk music.

Free form Jazz.

• Top 40 tunes. All exactly the same. You make a shit, simple beat and then get Pitbull on it.

Coldplay. Says it all.

Mumford and sons. Don't like anyone who's fake - that's about as fake as you can get.

Screamo. Just noise with some depressed twat shouting at you. It doesn't even meet the definition of music.
  • Mumford & Sons - beards, wooly jumpers, accoustic guitars, banjos - wtf?
    Ellie Goulding - as above minus the beard
    Bruce Springsteen - so he does long shows and sweats a lot. Neil young he most certainly ain't
    Coldplay - where to start?
    Ed Sheeran - A one man whiney Mumford and Son minus the banjo
  • What! I only get five choices :o

• In no particular order, here goes:

1) Kylie Minogue - lovely to look at but christ, such a shit singer.
    2) Michael Jackson - the early stuff was good, but all the whooping, squeaking and barking he did in all his later material was just fucking ridiculous.
    3) Lighthouse Family - the lead singer is tone deaf. He must be otherwise he wouldn't be inflicting his fucking dreary monotone noise pollution on the world.
    4) Status Quo - Oh for fuck's sake. Just kill me.

Finally, I'm going to say one that I reckon people will be up in arms about, but I don't care, I hate them:

5) Joy Division - Boring, drab, incredibly overrated. Utter Shite.

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree about free-form jazz - played by wankers who can't be bothered about learning a melody.

Agree about Ed Sheeran - whiney one hit wonder

Lily Allen - Woolworths slag made good, all lipstick and chewing gum

Rolling Stones - some good 60s and 70s stuff but have spent decades since then living on past glories

Andre Rieu and his ridiculous multi-strings extravaganzas - best left in the 18th century love

• edited May 2014

• Bruno Mars. Have to switch the radio over whenever he comes on.
  • How could I forget Jackson! Thanks for the reminder Lordromford. Look up overrated in the dictionary and there are his faces staring back at you...
  • edited May 2014

lolwray said:

Free form Jazz.

Usually characterised by five blokes all playing a different song, and if you don't like it you're "unintelligent". Well, pass the Dunces' hat.

I quite like Old time Jazz and stuff like Dudley Moores trio, but it's a minefield. Could never get Be-bop either.

• lolwray said:

Free form Jazz.

Usually characterised by five blokes all playing a different song, and if you don't like it you're "unintelligent". Well, pass the Dunces' hat.

I quite like Old time Jazz and stuff like Dudley Moores trio, but it's a minefield. Could never get Be-bop either.

The out-laws love a bit of Trad/Dixieland, and when we are back in UK we usually go along with them to one of their nights out. Always enjoy it, even though everyone there except us is over 70 - including the band... :-)
  • Queen - generally awful music but I've not no problem with Freddie prancing about

Modern jazz

Anything from TV 'talent' shows

Mumford and Sons - even if their music is catchy, it's fake and so are they

Bastille - appallingly constructed and performed.
  • edited May 2014
    I think the wording don't get is appropriate cos I don't hate any of these bands I just don't get them

Mumford and sons

Artic monkeys

Prince

Nickelback

Areosmith

and most of the artists at this years BBC radio 1 big weekend festival would also get a vote.

• Almost everything recorded by almost anyone in the 1980's.
    Arcade Fire
    Coldplay
    Specials
    Beach Boys
    None of whom are terrible, but I don't get them.
  • Depeche Mode. They are massive out here. I mean, massive. But mention the Human League to these fans, and they think you are talking about the people who give out the Nobel Prizes.
    Floyd. Sorry.
    Bob Dylan. Call that singing? Now when other people cover his songs, then I get it.
    Sinatra. great shout, @hawksmoor‌
    Ozzie Ozbourne. My brother in law's favourite.