Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Apple Mac

Any help please,I have a Desktop Mac 7 years old with Safari 10.5.8 should I upgrade to a later Browser, or save up for a new one? retail now is about £1600. thanks for any advice.

Comments

• depends what you use it for... if its just browsing the web and writing emails then you can use other browsers such as Google Chrome.
  • 10.5.8 refers to your operating system. What version Safari do you have, and do you have any problems with it?

As @kentaddick says, depends what you use it for. A cheaper way to "upgrade" web and email use would be to consider an iPad. Although personally I cannot recommend the Ipad mini, and that's the first time I've said that about an Apple product.
  • 10.5.8 refers to your operating system. What version Safari do you have, and do you have any problems with it?

As @kentaddick says, depends what you use it for. A cheaper way to "upgrade" web and email use would be to consider an iPad. Although personally I cannot recommend the Ipad mini, and that's the first time I've said that about an Apple product.

What's wrong with the mini PA ? I have both and rarely touch my full size iPad ?

• Why not buy a comparable PC, a meal out with your family, a car, a dream holiday and a deposit on a three bedroom house with the same amount of money.
  • PragueAddick. Information said its Safari 5.0 but that system did not come out till 2010 and as I bought mine in 2008 it must be 4.0
  • Open Safari and click in the top left icon and move mouse down to about Safari. This will show the version number. It probably gives you the option of checking for updates.

I bought a perfectly usuable MacBook in CEx in Tottenham Court Road for £375 recently to replace a Toshiba laptop which failed after 2 years and 3 power supplies
  • If it's just web browsing you're after then I'd listen to the advice of Huskaris or Prague Addick. I'd also agree that you could download google chrome. I use that on my mac instead of safari and find it infinitely less fault ridden and also much faster.

I will never understand those who use mac just for web stuff. I would never go elsewhere because I find a mac is unrivalled when it comes to music and video production with Logic Pro and Final Cut which is what I use it for but if you don't then save your money!
  • edited May 2014
    Apple are starting to lag behind in terms of video editing, the new OS Mavericks doesn't support Final Cut Pro 7 which is still used by video editors on mac systems, Final Cut Pro X (the latest one) is, or was, buggy and weird to navigate around. You can quite easily get a cheaper, faster machine thats a PC and will run Adobe Premiere, After Effecs, Avid Media Composer and Cinema 4d, which are now the most popular non linear editing software and compositing software around. The only remaining draw to macs is the use of apple pro res, but if you're on a PC there are work arounds for it.

Source: I am a video editor... writing this on a mac.

What's wrong with the mini PA ? I have both and rarely touch my full size iPad ?

I am on it now. I particularly hate trying to cut and paste anything when I am on it, such as a link to a website when I'm commenting on CL. The search function within Mail is deficient too. And don't get me started on the new version of Apple Works which I have to use on this, but is not backward compatible with the older versions on my desktop Macs. Overall I expected it to reduce my use of the MacBook to the minimum, but it hasn't done so. But when traveling, it is of course a great asset, and it is a good lunchtime companion, like right now.

I used to be an Apple evangelist, but far less so in the post Jobs era. I'm stuck in the Apple Eco-system, but anyone who is not should carefully consider other options. Sad really, but shows nothing is forever. I can remember when I thought I had no alternative to Nokia for a cellphone

• Apple are starting to lag behind in terms of video editing, the new OS Mavericks doesn't support Final Cut Pro 7 which is still used by video editors on mac systems, Final Cut Pro X (the latest one) is, or was, buggy and weird to navigate around. You can quite easily get a cheaper, faster machine thats a PC and will run Adobe Premiere, After Effecs, Avid Media Composer and Cinema 4d, which are now the most popular non linear editing software and compositing software around. The only remaining draw to macs is the use of apple pro res, but if you're on a PC there are work arounds for it.

I stand corrected then. My video stuff is certainly secondary to my music production so I stand by my point about that though! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Derek1952 said:

PragueAddick. Information said its Safari 5.0 but that system did not come out till 2010 and as I bought mine in 2008 it must be 4.0

Hi Derek

If it is telling you it is 5.0 then it must be. You probably downloaded some system updates automatically.

• Thank you all for help.I will try Chrome,or Opera has good write ups.
  • the app store on your mac might have some updates for you?
  • Huskaris said:

Why not buy a comparable PC, a meal out with your family, a car, a dream holiday and a deposit on a three bedroom house with the same amount of money.

For £1600!

Wow
  • Apple are starting to lag behind in terms of video editing, the new OS Mavericks doesn't support Final Cut Pro 7 which is still used by video editors on mac systems, Final Cut Pro X (the latest one) is, or was, buggy and weird to navigate around. You can quite easily get a cheaper, faster machine thats a PC and will run Adobe Premiere, After Effecs, Avid Media Composer and Cinema 4d, which are now the most popular non linear editing software and compositing software around. The only remaining draw to macs is the use of apple pro res, but if you're on a PC there are work arounds for it.

I'm running Mavericks on a 2010 MBP and Final Cut Pro 7 runs perfectly well.

• Do I have to uninstall Safari before installing Google Chrome
  • Derek1952 said:

Do I have to uninstall Safari before installing Google Chrome

No you can have as many browsers as you like.

• MOBY DUCK said:

Apple are starting to lag behind in terms of video editing, the new OS Mavericks doesn't support Final Cut Pro 7 which is still used by video editors on mac systems, Final Cut Pro X (the latest one) is, or was, buggy and weird to navigate around. You can quite easily get a cheaper, faster machine thats a PC and will run Adobe Premiere, After Effecs, Avid Media Composer and Cinema 4d, which are now the most popular non linear editing software and compositing software around. The only remaining draw to macs is the use of apple pro res, but if you're on a PC there are work arounds for it.

I'm running Mavericks on a 2010 MBP and Final Cut Pro 7 runs perfectly well.

it works for some, doesn't work for others. That's why if you're using it to make a living, don't do it. It can and has crashed on people and then permenantly hasn't worked. Apple made mavericks with no consideration for final cut pro 7 at all. It's probably their worst move since removing Compressor and DVD studio pro support as well. Those two stopped working on lion.
  • Cheers Kentaddick, it was just for reference really, I'd skipped straight from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and all of FCP7, Compressor & DVD studio have all kept working as normal.

Old habits die hard and I'm loath to move away from FCP, but it will be inevitable given the workflow gains to be had.
    I've had to run a CC account now and still resent the monthly fee arrangement and that it can't be bought outright.

Agree that Apple have been a complete arse with the creative industry, all they seem to care about these days is tablets and phones.

• compressor and dvd sp have continued to work? Dayum, lucky you.
  • Sponsored links:

• They're old versions of compressor (3.5.3) and DVDSP (4.2.2), but yeap, they've kept running fine.
    I'm presuming there'll be no more updates or support if they develop problems, but like you say, Adobe CC is the immediate future anyhow.
  • Personally, I wasn't happy with Mavericks. I had to have it in order to run the latest version of Lightroom, but it meant that I had trouble with Gimp that wasted a fair amount of time upgrading and reconfiguring. From my experience I'd say, upgrade if you have to but don't if you don't. I haven't noticed any benefits in having Mavericks other than enabling Lightroom.
  • edited May 2014
    Personally I think Macs have been going downhill since Mac OS 8.6....
  • Anyone know if £280 is worth it for a;

Apple iMac 20" Desktop All In One 2.16 GHz, 4GB RAM, 640 GB HDD
  • edited June 2014

Anyone know if £280 is worth it for a;

At that price, the only questions are moral ones.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I'm confused but that comment...? Good deal do you think? It's a friend whose selling it.
  • Wife says 100 as its old
  • razil said:

Wife says 100 as its old

100?!?
  • yeah thats what she said :D
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I'm confused but that comment...? Good deal do you think? It's a friend whose selling it.
    Ha, I meant it sounded cheap for a Mac! But having googled the spec, Razil is right - i've got two of them in the shed and I don't know what to do with them. If I can get over £200 for either of them, I'm laughing!