Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia

Haven't noticed a thread on this, anyone else watching it?

Yesterday was an epic stage with over half the stage being continuous climbs to over 2000 feet.

The weather was crazy as you can see below.

Comments

• Yep, similar to last year some of the mountain stages were snow bound.

• I cycled the Gavia and Stelvio last year and it wasnt much better weather than that in mid june...great fun though. I'm meant to be cycling over the Col De L'Iseran in two weeks time but found out yesterday that it is unlikely to be open due to the snow...not happy and trying to find a new route now...
  • I rode through scadbury and petts wood last night for two hours. It was like a mudfest. Legs are aching this morning. Any other mountain bike enthusiasts living local and want to have a blast message me. There's a group of us. All levels.
  • Incredible stage yesterday in those conditions amid the alleged controversy http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27595074

Looks like it's Nairo Quintana's to lose now and will kind of justify Movistar's decision to put him up for this rather than Le Tour.
  • Never really watch the Giro d'Italia... Dont know why but it doesnt have the attraction that Le Tour has
  • Stone said:

Incredible stage yesterday in those conditions amid the alleged controversy http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27595074

Looks like it's Nairo Quintana's to lose now and will kind of justify Movistar's decision to put him up for this rather than Le Tour.

That guy, is gonna be huge (in sporting terms). I'm sure it won't be too many years before he wins Le Tour.
  • Quintana is best when it's really steep, yesterday it was 14% in a number of places and he sped up it. Because he is small and light he is not as strong on the long less steep hills, his time trialing although ok is not elite either.

Saying that he is still bloody good.
  • Never really watch the Giro d'Italia... Dont know why but it doesnt have the attraction that Le Tour has

Bit of a poor route IMO this year, and lack of first teams too. Usually take in a couple of stages with a holiday, but no real coastal routes this year. Hopefully next year it will be back to normal and down one of the coast lines.

Quintana's to lose now.
  • Quintana was sublime yesterday. I think if he has the lead after the Time-Trial he's got it in the bag. Can't wait for the tour. There's going to be some great battles
  • Quintana is a twiglet-limbed freak of nature. Frightening to watch what he's capable of when it gets silly steep. Not sure he's suited to winning Le Tour though - the longer climbs will always be more favourable to the more all-round climber. The Giro's climbs are bastard steep in places - worse than pretty much anything the tour has, and far more prevalent in the overall route. Agree that the route is poor - seeing them brutalised through appalling conditions might be amusing for a while, but it doesn't make for a great spectacle overall.
  • Sponsored links:

• To be honest unless Froome sticks to the Tour and Quintana sticks to the Giro (i.e. where they done compete against each other) then we could see a rivalry for a few years like that of Armstrong and Yann Ulrich (just without the drugs being involved)
  • To be honest unless Froome sticks to the Tour and Quintana sticks to the Giro (i.e. where they done compete against each other) then we could see a rivalry for a few years like that of Armstrong and Yann Ulrich (just without the drugs being involved)

...I'll reserve judgement on that for a while.
  • Haven't seen any comments on this year's Giro so thought I would resurrect this old girl!

Loved seeing G grind his way to the maglia rosa and so hope he can hang on over the next few brutal days.  

Sure the riding crowd on here are watching just as avidly as me.  Is Roglic playing possum or is he spent, and does Almeida have the stamina to repeat his mountain-top heroics of the other day.....can't wait to find out!
  • Roglic is done I reckon, he wouldn't have willingly given up 25 seconds to G the other day.

On the subject of G, am I the only one who feels completely ambivalent towards him? Majority of British riders I'm actively cheering for but him I'm just kind of meh. It might be those stupid glasses.
  • edited May 2023
    Really like Thomas - had his fair share of bad luck , but cycling most of the TDF with a broken pelvis is pretty epic 
  • He's a legend. And I'd stake everything on him being 100% clean 
  • Cloudworm said:
    He's a legend. And I'd stake everything on him being 100% clean 
    funny you say that, was talking to a mate yesterday saying that if G's a doper then the whole peloton must be and I'd be done following the sport.

He's such a down-to-earth relatable character and always gives a very honest assessment in interviews.  Chuck in his achievements and massive bad luck over the years with some of the crashes and you can't help but root for the guy.