Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any iPod/Apple buffs here?

Recently my ipod classic just decided to stop charging after syncing with iTunes. It charges while it syncs, then stops when it says 'ok to disconnect'. I've tried different cables, tried a wall plug (it lights up, so recognises it's connected, but doesn't charge) and tried restoring it. The only way I can get some charge is by preventing iTunes from opening when I connect it, so it then just stays on a screen that says 'connected, eject before disconnecting' - It's like the screen is frozen as the clock will no longer move and there's no way of telling how much it has charged as it'll never show the fully charged icon, only the charging one.

It is really annoying me! Any ideas?

Comments

• Have you tried plugging it into your computer, then once it recognises it, hold the middle and menu buttons until it turns itself off? I hate the fact that iTunes is so controlling when I just want to charge my ipod at work so I do that. Then the apple icon appears and it comes back on with the top right icon clearly showing it's charging but no syncing or connecting or any of that rubbish.
  • Anyone know how to get my i-pad playing through my TV ?
  • Amazon /Apple does converters to hdmi from lightening connector or the older 32 pin type
  • JaShea99 said:

Have you tried plugging it into your computer, then once it recognises it, hold the middle and menu buttons until it turns itself off? I hate the fact that iTunes is so controlling when I just want to charge my ipod at work so I do that. Then the apple icon appears and it comes back on with the top right icon clearly showing it's charging but no syncing or connecting or any of that rubbish.

Yh I can get to that bit so it's charging at least, but not correctly. It just remains stuck on that screen with no indication when the charge is finished, I have to remove it then plug it in again to see if the fully charged icon appears. Having searched google it could be a problem with the windows 8.1 update rather than the ipod itself, though don't understand why it wouldn't charge in a wall socket :S
  • razil said:

Amazon /Apple does converters to hdmi from lightening connector or the older 32 pin type

You just plug it in ? what's a lightening connector ?
  • Oh right. Good luck anyway. It must be a testament to my faith in modern technology but I can't believe my own classic hasn't given up yet. I've had it 6 years, use it every day but feel sure it won't last much longer so I back it up obsessively. Nothing seems to last these days no matter how much I look after it so 6 years and still going strong seems crazy to me.
  • The new smaller iphone 5 connector
  • PL54 said:

razil said:

Amazon /Apple does converters to hdmi from lightening connector or the older 32 pin type

You just plug it in ? what's a lightening connector ?
    Rubber thing what your dad used to have hanging from the back of his brown Ford Cortina....
  • Probably needs a new battery. They come with a tool to open the case. Battery is glued in. They suggest heating with hair dryer but I used a teaspoon heated in a mug of boiling water. One with a plastic handle.
  • If you've one nearby, book yourself an appointment at an Apple Genius Bar to get it looked at. That bit's free. They'll probably charge for any repairs though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had more problems, sync started to go wrong as well so decided to scrap iTunes (for now anyway) and use copytrans manager. Don't know how good it'll be in the long term but so far it's working fine, ipod charges properly again and sync all good. Maybe if I reinstalled iTunes it would work but I'll stick with this for now. Thanks for the bits of advice.
  • edited May 2014
    Talal, there's a couple of buttons you have to hold down together. I think it's play and the centre button. Hold them down for 10 secs and hopefully it will sort itself.
  • Cheers Stig but now I've got it working I don't wanna mess about with it. Will give that a go if it screws up again.
  • Having recently gone through hours of fuckery with ipod synching I'd offer 2 bits of advice
    1 never update iTunes no matter how much it pleads. I bet you did shortly before it ducked up.
    2 never buy apple products. They are a bum hole company that make wank products that don't work properly and that are worshiped by idiots.

Suspect you're on w8? The two don't play well together, deliberately I suspect. If you can try with a machine with an older windows or iTunes it might work.
  • PL54 said:

Anyone know how to get my i-pad playing through my TV ?

There is a lead you need that costs thousands at Apple .

However, the father in law just acquired one for fifteen quid down the market

• Having recently gone through hours of fuckery with ipod synching I'd offer 2 bits of advice
    1 never update iTunes no matter how much it pleads. I bet you did shortly before it ducked up.
    2 never buy apple products. They are a bum hole company that make wank products that don't work properly and that are worshiped by idiots.

Suspect you're on w8? The two don't play well together, deliberately I suspect. If you can try with a machine with an older windows or iTunes it might work.

Yep I updated iTunes a few weeks ago but I think it's been the w8.1 update that's done the damage (or maybe a combination of both). My laptop takes ages to hibernate or shut down as well since the update. IPod is only Apple product I own, have always avoided other stuff. Thankfully for now I don't need iTunes as this copytrans version is doing a better job, just hoping I don't run into more issues.
  • edited May 2014

PL54 said:

The Apple lead is called a composite AV cable, connect up the ipad, at the other end put the red, yellow and white plugs into either your TV or dvd/hard disc recorder etc. Find the right AV channel and off you go. Thirty five quid off of Apple, like Carly says probably some cheaper options elsewhere.
  • PL54 said:

Chromecast
  • This is what I got from amazon, works great, mine's for the iphone4/ipad2 charger though

VicTsing® HDMI Digital AV Video Adapter Dock to HDMI HDTV Cable for Apple iPad 2 iPhone 4 4S iPod 4G With 3 Feet HDMI Cable by VicTsing http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GD9RDL6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_mXAGtb1K2326H
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

All working with £6 connector from Amazon and hdmi cable. @smiffyboy‌ emailed me a picture of the connector which made it easier.....
  • Anyone had a "Code 43" error message when connecting an ipod classic to their PC. Mine was working perfectly a couple of weeks ago but now the PC won't recognise the device.
  • Anyone had a "Code 43" error message when connecting an ipod classic to their PC. Mine was working perfectly a couple of weeks ago but now the PC won't recognise the device.

try resetting it by pressing and holding the centre and menu buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds
  • ads said:

Anyone had a "Code 43" error message when connecting an ipod classic to their PC. Mine was working perfectly a couple of weeks ago but now the PC won't recognise the device.

try resetting it by pressing and holding the centre and menu buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds
    Thanks, tried that and also checked the driver software, which it says is the most up to date. Could it be the cable, it's not an Apple original.
  • Strangely enough just updated Mrs ET's iPhone to ios8 via iTunes. Kept bombing halfway through (then worried cos I bricked her phone). One of the suggestions on the Apple error code was to use an Apple USB (I was using a decent spare from Sainsburys).

Found the original and it worked.

• I believe Mediamonkey is now compatible with apple stuff. I'd use that rather than itunes. Great for music with capability to manage a huge library without all the crap apple aggravation. (There's a free version.)
  • Got another question....

Decided to put a load of old house/trance albums on my ipod, and obviously there are multiple artists. I've tried everything I can think of in the 'sorting' option, to try and get them all in one place when I search under 'artists' on the ipod, but they are still coming up in a long list as all different artists. Also tried ticking/unticking the 'album is part of a compilation' button but doesn't change anything. Any ideas?
  • On my iPod I would select Music, then select Playlists, then select Add Playlist, then type 'Trance' and save and then scroll through song list selecting the tracks you want included in the new Trance Playlist.
  • Ok thanks I'll try that later. I guess there are a few other ways to do things that I'll have to experiment with, I've just always kept it really basic and only used Artists to search for stuff.