Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So whats your favourite nut?

Bit of a quandary for me as a Brazil isn't actually a nut. But then again most nuts we eat aren't actually nuts.

Comments

• Now you are confusing me...
  • Len Glover ;0)

Almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamias, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts are all technically not really nuts.

Hazelnuts, hickory nuts, chestnuts and acorns are some examples of true nuts.
  • honey roasted cashews
  • Any kind of cashew for me.
  • My right one.
  • macadamias
  • Pistachio and anything Pistachio related. Icecream, milkshake, and Pistachio Cream with chocolate cake is my favourite dessert.
  • pistachio and peanuts. Love me some salty balls.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good call Pistachio, love em. Also wrap a cashew in honey and salt and I'll roll over and let you tickle my belly.
  • Boris Johnson

Almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamias, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts are all technically not really nuts.

My life is now in tatters... You will be telling me Father Christmas does not exist next!

Bloody biologists, spoiling it for everyone. :-(
  • Plain old almonds. Drink almond milk too now I've ditched dairy.
  • ginger nuts.

or are you gonna tell me they're not nuts either.
  • wing..no need for a spanner!
  • Chocolate covered Brazil nuts or almonds

La-di-da
  • Cashews or peanuts
  • Cashews and pistachios but I like them all except for macadamias.

Almond butter is tons better than peanut butter but sadly us much more expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Andy Hughes - OUR nut ( well he was !)

La-di-da

Lol not quite. I just couldn't turn a blind eye to the treatment of cows in the dairy industry any longer.
  • An Inbetweener nut
  • Balotelli
  • Balotelli

Left or right?

What's the difference then?
  • Tony Pulis on James Beattie.
  • Hazel
  • A true nut, botanically speaking, is a hard-shelled pod that contains both the fruit and seed of the plant, where the fruit does not open to release the seed to the world. Some examples of botanical nuts are chestnuts, hazelnuts, and acorns.

Most of what we think of as nuts aren't really nuts at all, they're drupes! eg peaches, plums, cherries, mangoes, olives, dates, coffee, coconut, cashes, pistachio, brazil, walnuts, almonds, and pecans. A drupe is a type of fruit in which an outer fleshy part surrounds a shell (what we sometimes call a pit) with a seed inside. The ones we think of as nuts are the drupes in which we eat the seed inside the pit instead of the fruit!

Peanuts are not nuts—they are members of the legume family, hence related to peas. The shells are pods, and the peanuts are seeds.