Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryan Giggs retires

Ryan Giggs has retired at the age of 40 to become Man United's new assistant manager.

What a career he has had. 972 club appearances for Man United (114 goals) and 64 for Wales (12 goals), as well as the most assists (192) in Premier League history. It is a shame that he did not score this season, even though he has scored in every other season in the Premier League, and the Imogen Thomas incident is the only blot on an otherwise faultless career.

He never got to play in a World Cup, but I bet every football fan in the world must know who he is. My favourite non-Charlton player.

I wonder if they will retire the number 11 shirt at Man United.

Comments

• Shock horror , I never saw that coming.

I hope they don't retire the shirt. It's a silly idea .

I wish they would retire the shirt. Fed up of seeing kids wearing them................
  • Great player and model professional.
  • unbelievable player, to still be playing at the level he was at nearly 40 and adapting his game as the years have gone by.
  • R.I.P Giggsy (Retired in prime)
  • Superb player, his performance in the 3-3 draw at The Valley, when he hit the crossbar from his own half and nearly replicated his famous Arsenal Cup Semi-final goal on 3 or 4 occasions, is still the best individual performance I've ever witnessed.

Shame that he spent several years boning his brother's wife though.
  • Great player and model professional.

Model professional? Surely a model professional is someone who conducts themselves brilliantly on & off the pitch

I'm not sure shagging his brothers wife is setting a great example to kids!
  • Ross said:

Ryan Giggs has retired at the age of 40 to become Man United's new assistant manager.

What a career he has had. 972 club appearances for Man United (114 goals) and 64 for Wales (12 goals), as well as the most assists (192) in Premier League history. It is a shame that he did not score this season, even though he has scored in every other season in the Premier League, and the Imogen Thomas incident is the only blot on an otherwise faultless career.

He never got to play in a World Cup, but I bet every football fan in the world must know who he is. My favourite non-Charlton player.

What about a long affair with his brothers wife and getting her pregnant?
  • Ross said:

What about a long affair with his brothers wife and getting her pregnant?
    That as well. Forgot about that.
  • Sponsored links:

• As a footballer he is / was a model professional. Who cares about who he's shagging off the pitch? Big deal.
  • Very good player, but shagging your brother's wife is unforgivable.

Ruined his legacy for me and every time I see him I just think "scum".

I wish they would retire the shirt. Fed up of seeing kids wearing them................
    prefer kids topless do you????
  • I'm looking forward to a fulsome tribute from MCS......

:-)
  • I'm surprised how much the affair is bothering people here. Not arguing, just surprised. I can't damn Giggs the way I do Terry. Might simply be because I don't know enough about the affair, and frankly, I don't really want to. He's not necessarily a bad person (unlike Terry, who I believe has a dark, twisted heart), but not having a brother, maybe I just don't get it!
  • Same he didn't try and hold out for the 1000th
  • Same he didn't try and hold out for the 1000th

My guess would be that his desire to manage the club in the long term is why he's ready to put some space between himself and the playing squad. His performance in that Champs League cameo implied he had more time in his legs, if he wanted it.
  • Footballing wise, unbelievable career.

But although the Imogen Thomas and brothers wife incidents are nothing to do with his footballing achievements, it doesn't stop me thinking what a vile man he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

I'm looking forward to a fulsome tribute from MCS......

:-)

You will do when he gets back from Paris.
  • edited May 2014
    He has had a long career must be all those quorn burgers.

Yeah pumping up his brothers mrs was way below the belt.

Any hole is a goal great believer of that. But own goals should be avoided.
  • In a lot of trouble if WhatsApp messages are to be believed 
  • What messages are these then? Seen the news stories about him being arrested 
    WhatsApp pic going round of his missus with some serious facial bruises. 
    Heard it was for assault, as he was at home I guess it must be for domestic violence but no real idea.
     Seen that. Not sure if it's her though?
     Seen that. Not sure if it's her though?
    Looks like her to me mate, but WhatsApp is worse than twitter for that sort of shit.