Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

fishing in southeast London/Kent

Hi, complete amateur but want to take my nipper (5 yr old son) fishing, anyone on here know some local places where I can do that please?

Also any tips on a junior and starter rod/kit etc most welcome

Cheers

R

Comments

• thamesweb.com/visiting-the-thames/87-thames-angling.html

Apparently you don't even need a licence downstream of the Barrier! Just dangle your rod off the amenity pier at Erith it seems!
  • Can't go wrong with lucks lane in paddock wood for a beginner mate.
  • http://www.darenthfishingcomplex.com/lakes.html

I would recommend Willow Lake from the above as a good place to start.

Good luck!
  • Can't go wrong with lucks lane in paddock wood for a beginner mate.

That's where I'd recommend.
    Had 56 in a day just by floating dog biscuits on top and on othe rod luncheon meat
  • Also believe argos do a junior starter kit. Not the best kit but good enough for a youngun
  • Its a good idea to start with a small one piece 3 metre whip. They are telescopic, no reel and no tangles. Ebay have them from about £8 upwards.
    Go to a local tackle shop and they will be only to happy to help you.

• Its a good idea to start with a small one piece 3 metre whip. They are telescopic, no reel and no tangles. Ebay have them from about £8 upwards.

Great advice. I'd urge you to try your local shop wherever possible Razil as they need a lot of support and the knowledge most of them have is invaluable.

• red_murph said:

Its a good idea to start with a small one piece 3 metre whip. They are telescopic, no reel and no tangles. Ebay have them from about £8 upwards.

Great advice. I'd urge you to try your local shop wherever possible Razil as they need a lot of support and the knowledge most of them have is invaluable.

Yes, do use your local tackle shop. Might be a couple of £ dearer but by the time you add P&P and the free advise that the guy in the shop will give you it's a no brainer.

Oh and you other anglers that need a licence, only use rodlicence.net if you want to pay a £20 admin fee for getting your £27 licence (£47 total)
  • All the lakes mentioned above are good heavily stocked and great for the beginner
    Also orchard farm is good
    And mousehole lakes near yalding is good and owner Mick is very helpfull with beginner's
    Also has bait and tackle and good cafe on site
  • Sponsored links:

• If you go to lucks lane buy the 'bloodworm floaters' the fish go potty for them. Will be bringing my birds little brother there in a few weeks to catch his first carp.
    Thats where I caught mine

• Oh and you other anglers that need a licence, only use rodlicence.net if you want to pay a £20 admin fee for getting your £27 licence (£47 total)

Yes I did that last year in a hurry! Got my money back though.
  • cafcfan said:

thamesweb.com/visiting-the-thames/87-thames-angling.html

Apparently you don't even need a licence downstream of the Barrier! Just dangle your rod off the amenity pier at Erith it seems!

Caught some cracking fish on the Thames, both sea and freshwater. This was around the barrier.
  • edited April 2014
    Used to love my fishing. But weirdly fell out of love with it when I was night fishing. Since then I've not been able to get back into it. But going to try when the weathers nice.

Personal best is nothing special 21lb 7oz common carp from clubhouse pond at darenth lakes, what's everyone else's PB?
  • Cut my teeth at Horton Kirby as a lad. 6lb 2oz Chub river Avon, 23lb Cod Ramsgate, 3 lb 2oz roach Crowthorne Angling, 22lb Salmon river Tay. No serious carp fishing, too old to grips with all the different tackle and technical stuff and it needs so much damn gear.
  • 32lb mirror
    38lb cat
    Only out for odd days now though when the wheathers nice
  • 32lb mirror
    38lb cat

Nice.
    Never caught a catty but always wanted to.
    Are there any catfish only lakes knocking about?
  • For adult themed fishing, check out the venue new cross.
  • I really miss my carp fishing....which has reminded me to get a new rod pod before I head back down under. Some excellent Carp To be had in the city.
    http://www.downriggershop.com.au/carp-fishing-in-sydney.html
  • 32lb mirror
    38lb cat

Nice.
    My son caught a 64lb Catfish twice in consecutive weeks at Darenth....it had previously been the record at about 66lb
  • Sponsored links:

• Greennior said:

32lb mirror
    38lb caI

Nice.
    there are plenty of cats in lakes 4 & 8 at orchard farm if you can get through the carp!!
    Bit overstocked for my liking but is a nice local fishery to me .
    I'm quite lucky as mousehole,lucks,frant,orchard,monks,claygate,tricklebrook,hawkhurst are all within 15mins of where i live
    The only one that has a designated cat lake is hawkhurst where they go up to 80+lb
    But it does have a lot of rules and restrictions
    Good luck

• My eyesight is not very good. On my iphone I thought the thread title read "fisting in SE London". I then read Greenie Junior saying he had 56 in one day and something about dog biscuits and promptly fainted.........Off to specsavers!
  • Cut my teeth at Horton Kirby as a lad. 6lb 2oz Chub river Avon, 23lb Cod Ramsgate, 3 lb 2oz roach Crowthorne Angling, 22lb Salmon river Tay. No serious carp fishing, too old to grips with all the different tackle and technical stuff and it needs so much damn gear.

Yup Horton Kirby for me too as a youngster, used to have some cracking fishing.

I'm a member at Edenbridge now. They've got a couple of decent lakes and some nice river fishing.
  • My dad used to take me fishing at the lake in Crystal Palace Park. That was 40 years ago !

No idea if it's still available.
  • edited May 2016
    Went to Willow Lake in Darenth today - never again.
  • saw that dartford lakes are shut atm due to 8 dogs being poisoned by drinking the water.
  • iamdan said:

Went to Willow Lake in Darenth today - never again.

Is that on the DDAPS book or day ticket @iamdan? What was wrong with it?

Just getting all my gear ready for my club start date on 1st June. Can't bloody wait.
  • Just on the day ticket @red_murph.

It was just generally poorly maintained, old sweetcorn cans left about etc.

3 roach caught in 5 hours - attacked by the resident geese..
  • iamdan said:

Just on the day ticket @red_murph.

It was just generally poorly maintained, old sweetcorn cans left about etc.

3 roach caught in 5 hours - attacked by the resident geese..

Not good, litter is one of my pet hates. Best thing our club did was ban any type of tin can being taken onto a water.

Sounds like a proper grueller! Geese and Swans can be a right pain.