Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Someone pull the plug out?

edited December 2007 in Troubleshooting
I've had fatal error cannot connect to server come up for a while.

Am I alone?

Comments

• I mentioned it in the other thread. Database connection failed.

Basically, the Forum hits the server hard, and though I've tried optimisations, there's a lot of load (2,000,000 hits worth), which is a blessing and a bit of a curse. I'm working to both optimise the way the Forum handles busy periods as well as beefing up the servers to handle more load. It's difficult though, as we're working on a shoe-string budget (time and money) and, believe it or not, this requires a 24-7, round the clock effort. And that's just to maintain it; I want to be working on new features!!!

Your patience is appreciated ;-)
  • Do you need some 50p pieces Looky?
  • Shocking.

We should be getting better quality what with how much we pay for this service.

Oh hang a minute.....

Can I throw in some loose change and buy a new rubber band or whatever it is that is busted. Serious offer.
  • why dont you ask for donatinos to be sent to bermuda?
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]why dont you ask for donatinos to be sent to bermuda?

Would they be tax deductable?
  • You should just start a phone votes scam.
  • edited December 2007
    I *think* Danny and Adam are reluctant to ask for any kind of payment, but I (and I'm sure many others too) would be quite happy to donate a fiver a year towards the running costs of the server and the hosting/traffic costs. There are approaching 800 registered users, with a hardcore of 100-150 - I'm sure the majority of the hardcore would be willing to put their hands in their pockets.

We've had the site for free for 15-16 months now, which is alot of time bunking-off work and enjoying ourselves off the back of Danny and Adam's hard work (and hard cash!). We've got a good, clean site with no adverts or other sponsorship crap messing-up the pages. Charlton Life was aimed at building an online community - something that it has done incredibly well. If it takes a server upgrade, increase in bandwidth or some techie help to streamline Adam's coding in order to further improve the community, then I'm happy to be at the front of the queue to make the first donation! :o)

What does everyone else think?
  • edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I *think* Danny and Adam are reluctant to ask for any kind of payment, but I (and I'm sure many others too) would be quite happy to donate a fiver a year towards the running costs of the server and the hosting/traffic costs. There are approaching 700 registered users, with a hardcore of 100-150 - I'm sure the majority of the hardcore would be willing to put their hands in their pockets.

We've had the site for free for 15-16 months now, which is alot of time bunking-off work and enjoying ourselves off the back of Danny and Adam's hard work (and hard cash!). We've got a good, clean site with no adverts or other sponsorship crap messing-up the pages. Charlton Life was aimed at building an online community - something that it has done incredibly well. If it takes a server upgrade, increase in bandwidth or some techie help to streamline Adam's coding in order to further improve the community, then I'm happy to be at the front of the queue to make the first donation! :o)

What does everyone else think?

Me too....
  • Sponsored links:

• Count me in
  • yup put me down for anything that will improve it and stop me from going to web page not found or whatever it is
  • I'm happy to pay a fiver or tenner.

We could also put some ads on the site? Linking yahoo/google etc can make some money for the site.
  • Yep, would be happy to make a donation or pay a subscription fee.....
  • cheers guys, and perhaps we'll look at this again in the new year.

but our immediate priority for now is to make the forum quicker and more durable.
  • they should be paying us...
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]cheers guys, and perhaps we'll look at this again in the new year.

but our immediate priority for now is to make the forum quicker and more durable.
    ...and if that needs a little investment, you know where to come!

I know this is your little baby Danny, but think of us all as Uncles and Aunts that don't mind giving Christmas and Birthday presents :o)
  • I'm happy to make a contribution.
  • I'm not giving them a penny
  • Fund raising scheme:

Cost you a quid to post a negative post - if we've won well.
    Could cost you big time, Golfie...... ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm in too
  • Only just read this thread - more than happy to chuck in a contribution. Don't be embarrassed, AFKA!