Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath v Bournemouth and Boscombe Ath|18 March 2014|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

The Introduction

He's coming home, he's coming home
He's coming

The Opposition

Yes, he is coming home. One of the best remembered ex-Addicks and one who most divides fan opinion..

Simon Francis is coming back to the Valley.

The right back suffered greatly in his time in SE7 but in a different environment and with a different manager he has thrived. Promoted last year and holding his own in a passing mid-table side Simon would be justified in sticking two fingers up (do people still do that?) to those who will no doubt boo him.

Harry Arter is another former Addick who will want to impress.

Despite their mid-table position and Gabban's 15 goals AFCB have a negative goal difference. They are more likely to win a game 1 - 0 although their recent 5 - 0 thrashing of Doncaster bucks that trend. In that game their recent signing from Leicester City scored a hat-trick but he has been out with an ankle injury since and must be a doubt for this match-up.

The Line Up

So far Riga has made few personnel changes from the previous managers line ups. Dyer was said to have selected the Huddersfield side and there was then only one change at Millwall. Both games finished 0 - 0 so our old weakness in front of goal remains. However, we don't look as vulnerable at the back either.

What is new is the formation. The 4 -2 - 3 - 1 gives us a firm base with the back four protected by two holding and energetic footballers in Poyet and Cousins. It is the 3 and the 1 in front of them that need to click and start creating if we are to turn one point into three.

So far there appears to have been no favouritism shown to the "network" players but none have impressed in their time on the pitch under Jose as of yet.

The Predication

Another draw but a scoring one this time 1 - 1

Comments

• Let's hope Francis has a flashback to his final appearence for us and mirrors it..................
  • Looking at the next 3 games after B&B this really is a must win game.
  • Score draw for me too, 1-1 with a defender getting our goal
  • 1-0 charlton.
  • edited March 2014
    2-0 to JR's Red & White Army (Edited after reading Morrison's interview in SLP).
  • 0-4.

Francis, Kermorgant, Arter & Church OG.
  • Going to really make the effort to get to this one, 1-1 draw I'm predicting.
  • 1-1

Yann takes pity on us and scores a 93rd minute own goal out of loyalty and love for his former club or Church scores a 45 yard screamer- which is most unlikely?

Hopefully neither are playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• can't score lately but maybe Reza will finally break through ... if Yann is not playing, 1-0 to Charlton ... if he is, 1-1, he always seems to score against his former clubs
  • We must seriously not rate Polish Pete if he can't even make the bench of a squad that can't score a goal to save its Championship life.

Despite this I think we will win 1-0. Bournemouth have nothing to play for and hopefully our squad will have renewed confidence following the Millwall draw (which in Charlton terms counts as a win) and JJ's new deal showing that there may be places in next years squad to be won.
  • We need to start turning these games in hand into wins or they don't mean a thing. Bournemouth are a good side but I reckon we can take them if we're tight at the back. 1-0 to us
  • Let's hope Francis has a flashback to his final appearence for us and mirrors it..................

Yep, he probably has nightmares remembering being turned inside out by Danny Green in training.
  • Can't see where the goals are coming from so the best we can hope for is a draw

I would look at the next 5 not 3:

Burnley
    Forest
    Derby
    Leeds
    Reading
  • One thing I always wondered was who would win in an aerial battle between Yann and Morro/Dervite ... I might find out!

Burnley
    Forest
    Derby
    Leeds
    Reading
    Jesus, I can only see us getting anything out of the Leeds game.
  • Oggy Red said:

Leeds have been shipping goals for fun.

We might score one then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Must win game.

Hopefully we can get a few loans in before the game so we actually have a chance of scoring

Burnley
    Forest
    Derby
    Leeds
    Reading
    Agree, but it's to frightening to contemplate....knowing Charlton they will go on a bit of a run (even though those five games are pretty tough).
  • edited March 2014
    2-1

Reza
    Obika

Grabban
  • How on earth is a player like Simon Francis 10 places ahead of us?
  • We're due another home win and our 'attack' must surely get a goal or two before too many more months pass by. The defence is playing as well as ever. This is one we will win.

CAFC 2 v A F C Bournemouth 1
  • Just seen that we've signed Obika. 0-0 until 90+4 when we all know what will happen.
  • The good news about Obika is that at least he should be match fit, as he has had games for Brighton, so no need to leave him until 10 minutes to the end, and he knows most of the players here, so he can start the game.
  • 2-0 to the Addicks. Reza off the mark and Obi-Obi-Obika gets a last minute clincher.
  • comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Think we'll win. Agree with the 4-2-3-1 but I can't think of a suitable RM. Wilson's the best candidate but we shouldn't mess with our defence.