Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Speed Awareness Course

Does anybody know anything about the kent speed awareness course? Is it worth doing or less hassle to pay the fine and take the points?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    My missus has just done it.

She quite enjoyed it and felt she learnt a lot.

£15 cheaper than the fine and no points on your license, so take the opportunity. You won't get it again.
  • Worth it...

• Definitely do it SJ. I had mine 5 years ago and it helped a lot as I'd forgotten/ignored some bad habits etc.

I think the format has changed a bit from the time I did mine which consisted of a morning of some theory and then an hour or so out driving with an instructor. Not sure exactly what they do now.

• I also did it and quite enjoyed it. Definitely better than getting 3 points.
  • Do it Sadie. Approach it with the right attitude and it will be quite enjoyable and informative and will save you 3 points. Christmas has come early if you are offered that instead of the points.

ps mind you, I did a course in 2007, got done for speeding again the very next day. Took me to the limit under the totting up procedure and picked up a 6 months ban. Not smart!
  • did one down here in Devon, well worth it. Learned a few things and it wasn't that "preachy"
  • Must be better than 3 points. My mate who comes to charlton with me did one in Brighton about four years ago. Got 3 points for speeding on the A3 on the way home. You couldn't make it up!
  • Thanks guys it's not me my husband got stung by speed camera in west gate 46mph in a 40 zone not a happy bunny, he has never been done for speeding before and been driving 10 years lol.
  • I did one in November, very insightful. Well worth it, can't see any benefits of not doing it. Some insurance companies (Elephant for sure) will reduce your premium if you let them know you've done it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks guys it's not me my husband got stung by speed camera in west gate 46mph in a 40 zone not a happy bunny, he has never been done for speeding before and been driving 10 years lol.

Was he rushing to get home for "steak night"? ;-)
  • Davo55 said:

Thanks guys it's not me my husband got stung by speed camera in west gate 46mph in a 40 zone not a happy bunny, he has never been done for speeding before and been driving 10 years lol.

Lucky, he didn't have a blow out.
  • Davo55 said:

Thanks guys it's not me my husband got stung by speed camera in west gate 46mph in a 40 zone not a happy bunny, he has never been done for speeding before and been driving 10 years lol.

It was my fault it was on Sunday daughter was playing football in Margate in the morning and I wanted to get home quickly to watch the Sheffield game.

• Riviera said:

I did one in November, very insightful. Well worth it, can't see any benefits of not doing it. Some insurance companies (Elephant for sure) will reduce your premium if you let them know you've done it.

would be careful with this as we were advised not too tell them as they would still see this as you had been caught commiting an offence and your premium could go up.
  • I did one recently. Worth doing, even just to save you some money on the next few years on insurance instead of having points!
  • edited March 2014

Does anybody know anything about the kent speed awareness course? Is it worth doing or less hassle to pay the fine and take the points?

God weary as feck and it's 5 hours of your day but definitely do it to avoid the points mate.

I did mine two weeks ago, ha ha. You get two breaks and they provide tea/coffee/water but nothing else. So take some food to pick.

Boring but as I said, you avoid the points!

• Definitely do it SJ. I had mine 5 years ago and it helped a lot as I'd forgotten/ignored some bad habits etc.

I think the format has changed a bit from the time I did mine which consisted of a morning of some theory and then an hour or so out driving with an instructor. Not sure exactly what they do now.

It's all theory now. No driving.
  • An afternoon of being patronised with anti-speed propaganda but saves 3 points and you get a free pen into the bargain!
  • And a night fine £85 pen it is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anybody know anything about the kent speed awareness course? Is it worth doing or less hassle to pay the fine and take the points?

God weary as feck and it's 5 hours of your day but definitely do it to avoid the points mate.

I did mine two weeks ago, ha ha. You get two breaks and they provide tea/coffee/water but nothing else. So take some food to pick.

5hours?? Jeez not sure he'll have the patience for that lol.
  • An afternoon of being patronised with anti-speed propaganda but saves 3 points and you get a free pen into the bargain!

Disagree with being patronised. When I did it they were very down to earth normal blokes and basically said we all do it, we're all going to do it again but here's a couple of reasons why we probably shouldn't.

I didn't say that the men delivering the propaganda were patronising, it was the information they were delivering that was. In essence if you believed the messages being put over we should technically all be leaving a trail of death and destruction in our wake on a daily basis, all because we stray a few miles an hour over the speed limit on occasions.

I'd have no objection to paying the course fee if the money they are making was put into catching the people who really are a danger on the roads, the texters, drink drivers etc. But sadly it's not, is it?
  • Addickted said:

£15 cheaper than the fine and no points on your license, so take the opportunity. You won't get it again.

Your Mrs enjoyed doing a speed awareness course!!!

I don't think your meant to enjoy it..Its a punishment
  • Does anybody know anything about the kent speed awareness course? Is it worth doing or less hassle to pay the fine and take the points?

Yes I turned up at 1 thinking I'd only be there an hour, then they hit me with, "we'll aim to be done at quarter to 5!!

And they are patronising! Extremely patronising! The bloke tried telling me I had to turn off my phone and wasn't allowed it on the desk.

I told him to jog on I'm not in school any more!

Geek!

Yes I turned up at 1 thinking I'd only be there an hour, then they hit me with, "we'll aim to be done at quarter to 5!!

And they are patronising! Extremely patronising! The bloke tried telling me I had to turn off my phone and wasn't allowed it on the desk.

Geek!
    Obviously wasted on you and you'll clock up many more points and other offences with attitudes like yours.
  • MSE7 said:

Addickted said:

No, it's called education.

You should try it.

• Riviera said:

Geek!
    Obviously wasted on you and you'll clock up many more points and other offences with attitudes like yours.
    Thanks for that Dr. Seuss.
  • Addickted said:

MSE7 said:

Addickted said:

You should try it.

Well maybe you should think before coming on here glorifying your wife's satisfaction for breaking the law.

It's people like her who put my premiums up. Makes me sick.

• MSE7 said:

Addickted said:

MSE7 said:

Addickted said:

You should try it.

Well maybe you should think before coming on here glorifying your wife's satisfaction for breaking the law.

It's people like her who put my premiums up. Makes me sick.

Ouch!

;)