Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Calling all Oasis fans

So as some of you may know and (I'm sure some will be horrified to realise) it's 20 years this August since the first Oasis album definitely maybe was released.

To celebrate I'm involved in a night at the scala in kings cross.

Would be good to see a few Charlton faces there.

Comments

• Sorry, tied up at the Simple Minds 35 year gig here in Prague:-) looks like half of Glasgow came with them :-(
  • One of the greatest albums of all time...really want them to reform! Whats the story (morning glory) was also another fantastic album.
  • The re-issued album looks like a superb gift set, albeit at £100!! There's also the reproduction of the original demo cassette for any collectors.

Would love them to go again, but don't think it'll happen. Sounds like a good night Buckshee...if I'm around, will try and be there. Good luck :)
  • One of the greatest albums of all time...really want them to reform! Whats the story (morning glory) was also another fantastic album.

I preferred Sgt Pepper, that was them wasn't it?
  • Remember seeing them at the Venue. They were shite.

Sure it wasn't Soasis, remember seeing them in the venue

• edited February 2014
    Some great music. Shame the brothers are complete tossers.
  • Remember seeing them at the Venue. They were shite.

Sure it wasn't Soasis, remember seeing them in the venue

No, it was definitely Oasis, it was early days, while The Venue still had original bands on, but even though I saw the posters and knew there was a buzz about them I still missed it. Doh!

• One of the most dull and over rated bands of all time.

That said, I hope the night goes well!

Thank god for 1D and little Mix and what would we have done without the Spice Girls
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty sure @Oakster was at their 2nd ever uni gig or something
  • edited February 2014
    Vincent said:

One of the most dull and over rated bands of all time.

Thank god for 1D and little Mix and what would we have done without the Spice Girls
    I'm not a fan of those either.

Strange comment, I would understand it if we were talking about Sex Pistols or Nirvana, although neither of them were able to save the music industry.
  • Give me three better British bands of the last twenty years
  • Biggest British band since Queen, and one of the all time greats to come out of this country.
  • cafctom said:

Biggest British band since Queen, and one of the all time greats to come out of this country.

How do you define biggest?
  • Friend or defoe are you on drugs man that has got to be one of the worst comments iv ever read on this or any site absolute disgrace man.no wonder Kurt blew his head off it was his own music that drove him to that
  • cafctom said:

Biggest British band since Queen, and one of the all time greats to come out of this country.

Combination of sales, legacy, recognizable hits, cultural impact. All subjective to an extent, but I can't think of anyone who can match Oasis on a combination of those fronts since Queen finished in 1991.

Take That are probably next in line but didn't have the same cultural impact. Oasis truly represented 90s British culture.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Combination of sales, legacy, recognizable hits, cultural impact. All subjective to an extent, but I can't think of anyone who can match Oasis on a combination of those fronts since Queen finished in 1991.

Take That are probably next in line but didn't have the same cultural impact. Oasis truly represented 90s British culture.
    Easy, Spice Girls. They sold far more records, I think they broke the number one hits in a row or something so that's the recognisable hits ticked off as well. The rest is subjective but I think it's fair to say they left an impact and they broke America. I prefer Oasis (and the sound of a cat scratching a chalk board) to them personally but facts are facts.
  • Went to see them on tour in 96 I think. I remember spending three hours on mobile phone trying to get through for tickets. Cost me a packet, but I felt like I won the lottery when I finally got through and ordered them. I think they sold the whole tour in four hours. The gig was good but not great. It still felt like a moment in history. They were the Beatles of my era.
  • Ok, but are Spice Girls the biggest "90s band" in the here and now? By that I mean who still has the biggest influence, critical acclaim and following of the two?

I couldn't name you a single Spice Girls album, yet Definitely Maybe and Whats The Story Morning Glory are considered two of the greatest albums of not just the decade but of all time. And they wrote them themselves!

Spice Girls sold a lot of records/singles, but Oasis have sold around 70 million albums and have just as many recognizable hit singles which were both commercially and critically successful.

Spice Girls were big for that time, but Oasis will always trump them based on having the full package.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014
    Bought their first album and thought it was good (but not great) then got the second and thought it was a bit too much the same as the first, listened to my mates copy of the third album before making a decision whether to cough up my dough and came to the conclusion that they're a one trick pony. Pretty much gave up on them from then on as far as buying albums goes.

Downloadedborrowed the rest of them about 3 yrs ago and gotta say, Standing on the shoulders of giants is by far their best album imo, even though it got slated by the music press.

Shows what I know.....................
  • cafctom said:

Ok, but are Spice Girls the biggest "90s band" in the here and now? By that I mean who still has the biggest influence, critical acclaim and following of the two?

I couldn't name you a single Spice Girls album, yet Definitely Maybe and Whats The Story Morning Glory are considered two of the greatest albums of not just the decade but of all time. And they wrote them themselves!

Spice Girls sold a lot of records/singles, but Oasis have sold around 70 million albums and have just as many recognizable hit singles which were both commercially and critically successful.

Spice Girls were big for that time, but Oasis will always trump them based on having the full package.

Oasis sold 60m records, Spice Girls 80m.

Pretty sure O.K. Computer was album of the 90s. Another band I didn't see what the fuss was about!

I think one trick pony describes them perfectly.
  • I'd have thought Depeche Mode were more successful

You clearly have no idea about music

You clearly have no idea about music
    It's subjective.
  • johnny73 said:

Carter said:

Give me three better British bands of the last twenty years

Muse?
    Blur?
    Artic Monkeys?
    Coldplay?

The first two Oasis albums were brilliant and do define an era but the brothers were / are incredibly unlikeable and artistically they failed to evolve imho.
    Failed to evolve? Noel's solo album & later oasis albums sound nothing like definitely maybe. Think you made a comment without understanding your own comment. Noel's writing & production as a whole as changed completely, he is a genius
  • cafctom said:

Ok, but are Spice Girls the biggest "90s band" in the here and now? By that I mean who still has the biggest influence, critical acclaim and following of the two?

Oasis sold 60m records, Spice Girls 80m.

Pretty sure O.K. Computer was album of the 90s. Another band I didn't see what the fuss was about!

I think one trick pony describes them perfectly.
    I think you were probably middle Aged during the 90's so didn't really appreciate it. The 90's was prob as big as the 60's
  • johnny73 said:

Carter said:

Give me three better British bands of the last twenty years

Muse?
    Blur?
    Artic Monkeys?
    Coldplay?

The first two Oasis albums were brilliant and do define an era but the brothers were / are incredibly unlikeable and artistically they failed to evolve imho.
    Failed to evolve? Noel's solo album & later oasis albums sound nothing like definitely maybe. Think you made a comment without understanding your own comment. Noel's writing & production as a whole as changed completely, he is a genius
    Thank you for pointing out my intellectual failings. To repeat, in my honest opinion, the gallaghers failed to build on those early albums. As a previous poster stated it is subjective. You are into their music so good for you.
  • Whether or not you like Oasis, they are very much a thread of the British zeitgeist from the 1990s onwards. Even kids born after 9/11 will pick up a guitar and strum out Wonderwall. They are on radio at least once a day - how many other bands can you say that about in the last 20 years?

If Oasis ever did announce a reunion, it would sell out even faster than either the Stones or Roses. Glastonbury tickets always sell out faster whenever there's rumour Oasis will play. I'm not even a massive fan of Oasis, but it'd be naive to claim that they were only a band of their time. The Gallaghers are still massive on the UK scene.