Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many points do you have on your licence?

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
And how many parking tickets have you had in the last year.

Don't be shy discuss?

Comments

• nil and nil.

I had one speeding conviction for 3 points but that expired about four years ago. Since then have kept my nose clean. The wife on the other hand has nine points...:-)......Only joking.
  • 3 Points, got done for speeding twice in 3 weeks but I've got to go to a Speed Awareness course to avoid the 3 points for one conviction as I was clocked at 36mph at 4:15am! Also got a parking fine in the same 3 week period so turned out to be an expensive month.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]3 Points, got done for speeding twice in 3 weeks but I've got to go to a Speed Awareness course to avoid the 3 points for one conviction as I was clocked at 36mph at 4:15am! Also got a parking fine in the same 3 week period so turned out to be an expensive month.

Did you ask for the photographic evidence?
  • At one point, some years ago, I had 9 points, but it's now clean. No parking tickets.
  • I'm down to three now
  • I have no points but I know someone who lost his licence in the space of a week on a stretch of road that had an average speed check. He'd slow down at the camera but speed up in between and his defence was the 'lights didn't flash' so he thought he was within the limit...<shakes head in despair>
  • just the 3 at the moment, although I'm surprised it's not more. I'm one of those who slows down for the camera and then speeds up in between (the A2 from Bexleyheath up to Kidbrooke being the prime example)
  • I think i've got three points for speeding on the m4 in Wales but that was a few years ago and i think they may have dropped off. What are the rules?

No parking tickets
  • They visibly come off your licence after 3 years but according to my ols insurance company they stay for five years on a record somewhere so the insurance company count them too even if plod don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have 3 that dropped off last year.

My understanding is that they are valid for 3 years but actually stay on your licence for 4.

BTW- a tip if you want to get them off, of course DVLA will want to charge you for this ( i think it's £60 but i've never paid it) but, as you are required by law to notify them of a change of address they have to do this for free.

So, just, on paper, move for a couple of days, after a tiff with the wife possibly, and then move back- points off licence for free..... :-)
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]I have 3 that dropped off last year.

My understanding is that they are valid for 3 years but actually stay on your licence for 4.

BTW- a tip if you want to get them off, of course DVLA will want to charge you for this ( i think it's £60 but i've never paid it) but, as you are required by law to notify them of a change of address they have to do this for free.

So, just, on paper, move for a couple of days, after a tiff with the wife possibly, and then move back- points off licence for free..... :-)

Actually it's only a tenner to get the address changed and any points removed. In fact if you get the form they'll take points off a paper license and send you a replacement for a tenner too. If you have a photocard license then they aren't physically on your license, so removal is automatic I assume.
  • Same as Rothko : - )
  • I've not got any points but I often get stopped by the Thai police for no good reason. One could normally come to some arrangement though to sort this out!
  • Nil and Nil.
  • If you have the New Photo License it's £30 to remove any points they do not ever magically drop off, so if you have not paid to have them removed you still have them FACT. I had 3 points put on mine in 2002 & when I asked to have them removed they wanted the £30 fee so I have left them on there.

I don't get parking tickets cos I always park legally ;-)
  • I'm a bit confused. You can pay to have points taken off your licence?

(Nil and nil by the way).
  • [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]I'm a bit confused. You can pay to have points taken off your licence?

(Nil and nil by the way).

You can have them physically removed once they have expired, not much point to it. Besides a full licence can look quite impressive ;-)
  • Touchwood never been done for speeding and only ever had one parking ticket about 10 years ago if not more.
  • hopefully my parents aren't reading this.......

currently I have 6 points for speeding and had 1 parking ticket this year (2 weeks ago, outside my own house that has a parking restriction from 7.30am to 10 am to stop commuters parking for the station)

A couple of years ago I amassed 12 points for speding but avoided a ban due to "undue hardship" - I need the car for work and cant really use public transport. I clock up over 25,000 miles each year and most of this around kent/essex and london where there are more cameras than police on the beat. I am not proud that I regularly get "flashed" (most cameras don't have film in them or don't work) but usually I am rushing to meetings and delayed in traffic etc etc. All my points have been for doing 40 in a 30 zone, or 50 in a 40 zone and hadly what you call "speeding" and generally not dangerous. But then , in the eyes of the law I am a criminal and should be locked up - but don't worry the drunk / drugged-up driver who keeps below 30 is safer than me!
  • Sponsored links:

• My licence is for an address i lived in 11 years ago. Anyone else not got round to changing ?
  • Golfie - 40 in a 30 is actually more dangerous than speeding on a dual carriageway or motorway because there's the possibility of pedestrians crossing the road etc.
  • Got a couple of speeding tickets in Oz....its draconian over there.....had to laugh, I was driving back to Sydney from Noosa (about 14 hours), I got bored and booted the car and did quite a few miles at 220kph, I slowed down when I went into a faster 110kph area and got nicked by a copper going in the opposite direction....he spun around in the road and it was like a scene out of a hollywood film.....got a right bollocking and then really pissed the bloke off when he realised I had a UK license and he couldnt deduct points....he went on and on....and in the end I said to him....just give me the fine, then we can all get on with our day.....he was then really pissed off as he had to go back to the office and check out my immigration status....serves the plonker right...anyway I got done $236 which was about £90 for being just 11kph over the limit....got done again by a stationery camera, but again, just a $40 fine and no points :-)
  • No points and only one parking ticket which was years ago.
  • I just changed my license....had the old green paper version and now have that nasty new plastic jobby....got away with not changing mine for donkeys years
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]My licence is for an address i lived in 11 years ago. Anyone else not got round to changing ?

Youre breaking the law Smudge. I'd get it chnaged if I were you.....Its a £1000 fine for not telling them.

Nil and Nil.

Although I did have 3 points about 10 years ago for speeding through roadworks at Ashford and also came off a 2 yr ban for DD in Jan 2005.
  • My driving licence is still green paper (gone through the wash a couple of times) at my parents address. didn't want to get a plastic card till i had a permanant address, and now i have been somewhere 6 months, i haven't got around to it. I don't have a car, so only drive on occasions when i borrow parents, so haven't got around to it yet. didn't want to pay twice just to move house, its expensive enough as it is.

never been caught speeding/red lights or parking.

once on the south circular going towards catford, i crept over the line whilst in traffic and the box flashed, but i never heard from anyone. my view of the lights was obscured as i was behind a big lorry so not sure i would have been fined anyway seeing as it took me about 20 seconds to roll over the actual line.
  • none and none.
    though making it back from preston in 3hrs 15mins, i'm hoping there were none on the M6 toll road.
  • I don't own a dog
  • FAO F-blocker

virtually all have been on dual carriagways......and some at night when no-one has been around. worst one was one in Preston that put me up to 12 points. Stretch of dual-carriagway for about 4/5 miles with a 50mph limit.......upon entering Preston this then reduces to 40mph and camera situated bottom of a hill. In court when asked where the incident happened the magistate commented "oh yes, we get many in here caught by that one"

and they say its about safety, not money. Pull the other one !