Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Green Dilemma

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Although I've posted my scepticism on here previously about the true motives of some of those who seek to blame man exclusively for climate change I do recognise that it is desirable to conserve resources where possible. I just don't like the fascist way some go about imposing their views on others!

Anyway, to the point: I read somewhere that something like 50% of car journeys are a mile or less. As part of "doing my bit" (unless it is tipping it down with rain!) I will always walk rather than drive to the local shops.

However I need something to put my purchases in so I can walk home with them i.e. a plastic carrier bag.

I've read that the enviro fascists also consider plastic bags to be evil.

My dilemma therefore is this: Should I carry on as I am doing that is not using the car but using a plastic carrier bag or drive to the shop and thereby not need a plastic carrier bag?

Comments

• cotton bags?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]My dilemma therefore is this: Should I carry on as I am doing that is not using the car but using a plastic carrier bag or drive to the shop and thereby not need a plastic carrier bag?
    how would you carry your goods from the shop to your car?
  • Down my village shops in this 'no-plastic-bag-era', when I forget the 'environmental' shopping bag, they give me a scrap cardboard box to put my bits in for my shopping. :o)
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]My dilemma therefore is this: Should I carry on as I am doing that is not using the car but using a plastic carrier bag or drive to the shop and thereby not need a plastic carrier bag?
    how would you carry your goods from the shop to your car?

For the short distance involved (25-100 yards) I could pile them up, carry them, place them on the car roof, open the door and put them in.

I couldn't walk like that for virtually a mile though.
  • I'd have thought plastic bags are far worse than driving a mile but you just need to take some other form of holdall with you when you go to the shops and you'll be enviro-man on both counts.

You'll probably find it much easier to carry your shopping home in a sports bag or properly made one rather than a plastic bag which is always about to break and spill your beans!
  • I'm more interest in whether you are being as true as you say, cutting out the short journeys to help the environment, or if its a more sinister motive.

I put to you, Len Glover, that you are one big phoney, and i accuse you (pointing finger furiously) that you are in fact, nothing more than a tight git that is trying to save back on the on the petrol, without a jot of thought for the environment.

How do we find him jury ?
  • You should Cycle to the shops, then if you bike is not stolen, carry whatever you have purchased under one arm whilst cycling home on the pavement. If not cycle on the road & ignore all traffic signals & go through red lights & run over pedestrians but claim you are saving the enviroment.
  • Get a 4X4 and then carry your plastic bags to the 4X4 :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I'm more interest in whether you are being as true as you say, cutting out the short journeys to help the environment, or if its a more sinister motive.

I put to you, Len Glover, that you are one big phoney, and i accuse you (pointing finger furiously) that you are in fact, nothing more than a tight git that is trying to save back on the on the petrol, without a jot of thought for the environment.

I am a tight git your honour but, as you can verify, I am also a fat git!

Hence part of the need to cut out the short journeys!

(I have actually genuinely read that statistic and also genuinely try not to use the car for journeys of less than a mile)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]You should Cycle to the shops, then if you bike is not stolen, carry whatever you have purchased under one arm whilst cycling home on the pavement. If not cycle on the road & ignore all traffic signals & go through red lights & run over pedestrians but claim you are saving the enviroment.

This morning in Soho I was shouted at by an irate cyclist 'watch where you're f**king going'. He was right, I hadn't looked before walking out into the road, but there again I hadn't thought it necessary to look the wrong way down a one way street, especially when the lights were red!

So frustrating. The number of times I've got stuck in the middle of the road at Cambridge Circus as a stream of cyclists jump the lights and don't give me time to cross before the lights go green and the traffic starts coming again.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]You should Cycle to the shops, then if you bike is not stolen, carry whatever you have purchased under one arm whilst cycling home on the pavement. If not cycle on the road & ignore all traffic signals & go through red lights & run over pedestrians but claim you are saving the enviroment.

This morning in Soho I was shouted at by an irate cyclist 'watch where you're f**king going'. He was right, I hadn't looked before walking out into the road, but there again I hadn't thought it necessary to look the wrong way down a one way street, especially when the lights were red!

So frustrating. The number of times I've got stuck in the middle of the road at Cambridge Circus as a stream of cyclists jump the lights and don't give me time to cross before the lights go green and the traffic starts coming again.

Kick the fcukers over! Fcuk em!
  • buy evironmentally friendly reusable bag(s)...

next question.
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]You should Cycle to the shops, then if you bike is not stolen, carry whatever you have purchased under one arm whilst cycling home on the pavement. If not cycle on the road & ignore all traffic signals & go through red lights & run over pedestrians but claim you are saving the enviroment.

Save coal, burn cyclists instead....
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I'm more interest in whether you are being as true as you say, cutting out the short journeys to help the environment, or if its a more sinister motive.

I am a tight git your honour but, as you can verify, I am also a fat git!

Hence part of the need to cut out the short journeys!

(I have actually genuinely read that statistic and also genuinely try not to use the car for journeys of less than a mile)

How about leaving a Cotton, or Bag for life in the boot of your car, then you can use it when you do get something from the shops on you way home in the car and also just take it out when you walk past it on the way to the shop??

As done by myself who is also both a fat and a tight git, and also someone who would like just to do a tiny bit for the environment :-))

I would comment but Rothko might beat me up :-(
  • Rothko...
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    Alternatively, buy online then you don't need to shop and your food becomes "bagless"
  • Or the shop will give you an old cardboard box to put your bits in.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Alternatively, buy online then you don;t need to shop and your food becomes "bagless"

Surely the van that delivers the shopping is doing more harm than a little old car?
  • and not much good for the "can you just pick a few things up" jobs that undoubtedly Len gets with a family of women.... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• no a single delivery van doing various orders is much more eco efficient than the various individual journeys that would otherwise take place, just a shame the people who pack them are such half wits.
  • Just put a couple of carrier bags in your pocket and re-use them.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Makes sense to me whether you are environmentally concerned or not.
  • Send one's butler out to get the provisions or ask Harrods to deliver
  • edited November 2007
    harrods already do liver.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]harrods already do liver.

You're kiddiney? Do they?
  • Those jokes are offal!
  • Buy one of those tartan wheelie bags that old biddies trundle around.
  • edited November 2007
    You should grow your own grub Len, therefore making supermarket trips redundant.

Who knows, maybe Felicity Kendall will turn up to give you a "hand"?!
    ;o)