Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Can Charlton and Chris Powell pull off the Unconventional Survival?

Chris Powell looks a weary man.

You could see it in the post-match interview at Wigan, and at yesterday’s press conference. It is no surprise though, is it?

This has been a tough, unusual season where it appears the manager has had as much difficulty and aggravation off the pitch as he has had getting results on it. Let’s be honest, the backdrop has hardly been straightforward; first from a lack of support as attempts to sell the club become protracted, and secondly as a result of the unusual events that have followed the takeover. Sandwiched in between has been a squad becoming increasingly disillusioned on the direction of the club and their own futures.

Some fans (and recently departed strikers), believe the manager to be badly treated. That it has had an impact on the squad, and that the manager has had no control over player arrivals and departures. Powell publicly refutes this. Whether that is the truth, or a mark to his continued professionalism of not publicly rocking the boat, is entirely a question of conjecture.

However, if Powell seeks to avoid making allowances for a difficult situation and wants to be judged purely by results on the pitch, then that is how it shall be.

The facts paint an unimpressive picture. The facts tell you that Charlton have won just five games in twenty seven, and have not won back to back games since last April. The facts are that Charlton are in the bottom three because results have not been good enough.

But why have results not been good enough?

If ninth last season was seen as an over-performance, should the current position equally be classed as under-performance?

Aside from the lack of squad investment, contract situations and pitch problems that have remained in the background throughout, the two stand-out differences comparing this season and the previous two under Powell’s stewardship has been the enforced inconsistency of team selection, and the inability to score goals.

Of the team set to line up against Birmingham tomorrow, just two (Morrison and Jackson) remain from the title-winning 11/12 team. From last season’s 9th finishing team, that number will be boosted to three with Wilson, and possibly four if Harriott gets the call. So potentially, seven or eight out of the eleven will be different from last season’s impressive and improving team.

Additional to that, Chris Powell has had three of his preferred back four (Solly, Cort & Wiggins) missing a huge chunk of the season. An unfamiliar back four coincided with his first choice keeper Hamer losing both confidence and form.

Quite simply, the platform which ‘Powell’s team’ was built on has been broken. Of the Top 4 from last season's Charlton Life Statbank (Solly, Hamer, Kermorgant, Cort), none are currently available. Players who have come in, bar Cousins, have not excelled. The lack of squad depth has seen players played out of preferential position, like Wilson.

This side has not been a settled side.

At the business end of the pitch, the inability to find a workable partnership has equally hurt the team dearly. Just 23 league goals in 27 league games, the second lowest in the Football League.

Sordell and Church may not have been on summer target list A, B or C, but they are what Powell got, and have so far failed to deliver. Searching for something that might work, Kermorgant was played in a slightly deeper false 9 position which, whilst trying to get more of the ball through our best player, at the same time negated his goal threat slightly.

The non-retention of Fuller, Haynes or Obika was not so much a big loss in the sense of what goals they brought, but also the regular opportunity to make an attacking substitution replacement that would give the opposition something to think about defensively. That hasn't been there this season, and may explain why later substitutions have been more veered towards containment.

An effective alternative just has not been there.

On top of the problems above, Powell now needs to overcome further upset to his squad. Two of his best outfield players have been moved on, along with his current first choice goalkeeper. In their place come a collection of young, but inexperienced overseas players that need to integrate immediately.

The task ahead looks sizeable, and the route to achieve it is unconventional.

Can a ‘new side’ fraught with inexperience effectively be gelled in an instant?

Can we outperform the teams around us in the league who utilised the window to strengthen with proven experience?

No one knows at this point.

But one thing we have learnt from the last few seasons is the importance of confidence and momentum. You sense the outcome of the season may potentially be shaped in the performance and results of the next 2-3 games. And tomorrow’s is the most crucial of all.

If we pull this off then the people who say he is not a good manager will be correct. He will be an extraordinary manager.

Let's all hope that weariness quickly disappears again.

Comments

• Great summary of where we are at. He has a mammoth task ahead to rebuild the confidence. In the first half of the season we only averaged 0.88 points per game - relegation form. We need to average nearly 1.5 points per game going forward - a massive turnaround. With a revamped team of unproven players that will be some task. As you say - IF he can do it then it will be some turnaround. Think the Birmingham game is key - get a result and we are on the right track - lose it and (mathematically) its not disasterous - but it will severely dent confidence and I think we risk a continuing downward spiral.
  • I quite agree that the next few games are vital - get a win tomorrow and we will, quite possibly, be out of the relegation zone and everything will look brighter. I am an eternal optimist, so believe that the new players will perform, the injured will come back, and SCP will prove what a good manager he is, which would leave us with more than enough quality to survive.

That said, I am also (sort of) reassured by the obvious long-term thinking and (quite frankly) the sheer wealth of RD that any relegation would be nothing more than a blip along the road to better future.
  • A few good results, starting tomrrow, could well perk him up and success breads success. But the other way and his days in charge will surely be numbered.

Chris Powell has showed he can be a good learner. If he can survive this honeymoon period and win the confidence of RD, it could be an interesting end to the season.

The uncertainty of club ownership is behind him. With the exception of one or two loan signings, the squad to face the challenge is in place. Injuries excepted, CP does have something to work with. It may not be completely his choice but he has the opportunity to develop his management skills in a new set of circumstances. Let's hope RD gives him a fair crack of the whip.
  • CP says tomorrow is no bigger than the other 18 games but I think it is huge.

At this stage the club is desperate for a shot in the arm. We've got a winnable home game with a virtually new team - 3 points will give everyone a bit more buoyancy for the fight ahead.

If we don't win tomorrow I have a fear that it could be close to the end for CP.

Will we escape? Very difficult to predict with so many new players - we will probably either finish very badly or, if it clicks, stay up with comfort.
  • that's how i see it charente
  • I know the table tells no lies but if you take into account that we have one game in hand of most teams above us and two in hand of Donny then it might not be so bad if we win that game, which is at home against B'mouth in March by which time the team, we hope, will have gelled into a winning unit. Having seem the team a Wigan I do think there is hope but as many have said we need a couple of mid field players, get those and I think CP will be a winner again.
  • edited February 2014
    Yes they can!
  • But they will need us waving, not drowning.
  • "Lets be 'aving you"
  • Sponsored links:

• Given the recent turmoil at the club it's hard to know what sort of manger he is, or exactly what his role is.
  • "Lets be 'aving you"

Is that a dare for me to run on the pitch with Delia's rallying call. Tuns ?

• I feel optimistic about tomorrow result (if the game goes ahead!). Good to see Reza have a dig from the edge of the box at Wigan. With that kind of technique I think he's going to be a good for quite a few goals this season. Hopefully starting tomorrow.
  • Great summary AFKA and I feel it captures it perfectly. I do have faith in CP that he can turn this around but he certainly has had a lot to deal with. Nobody can say that this season hasn't been interesting.

I do feel that the Brum game could be a turning point. I have a sneaky feeling that it all depends on how the 2 new strikers do. If they're both as good as we think (or should that be, hope) then we'll be ok but if they're Church/Sordell mark 2 then we're in trouble.
  • I think one line sums it up: Of the Top 4 from last season's Charlton Life Statbank (Solly, Hamer, Kermorgant, Cort), none are currently available. Add Fuller to that list and it is easy to see what Powell has had to contend with all season.

Question is how many of the new signings will score 6.5 and above throughout February. Will they gel as a unit and will the crowd be 100% behind the team for 90 minutes?
  • I endorse Fanny 100%.

If the crowd turn up quiet and nervous, then that anxiety will transmit itself to the team.

We need that Valley roar, non-stop singing from the Covered End, 100% support.
    Just like we did in the Cardiff game.

• I agree with much of this post. To me there was something psychologically wrong with the team from the get-go this season and we now have a pretty good idea why.

I like Powell and want him as Manager. I think he needs a contract now and believe that if there is anyone who can develop our new players it is him. However my only adverse comment re the post is the absence of CP's influence (other than all the good points) re our poor form - like it or not, he does have some level of responsibility for our current situation. He can't be a brilliant manager when we win and not responsible if we do badly. He can't be not telling the truth if it doesn't suit our own perspective, but being honest when it does.

In my opinion he is a good manager who needs time to develop. I believe that he can improve and will do so with experience - He can be a great manager . In the meantime I think that in portraying him in the "can do no wrong Charlton hero SCP" way that sometimes (understandably) happens on this forum just unwittingly encourages the
    " Powell's s@@t!" type comments.

Personally I like him warts and all!

• IAgree said:

I agree with much of this post. To me there was something psychologically wrong with the team from the get-go this season and we now have a pretty good idea why.

I like Powell and want him as Manager. I think he needs a contract now and believe that if there is anyone who can develop our new players it is him. However my only adverse comment re the post is the absence of CP's influence (other than all the good points) re our poor form - like it or not, he does have some level of responsibility for our current situation. He can't be a brilliant manager when we win and not responsible if we do badly. He can't be not telling the truth if it doesn't suit our own perspective, but being honest when it does.

In my opinion he is a good manager who needs time to develop. I believe that he can improve and will do so with experience - He can be a great manager . In the meantime I think that in portraying him in the "can do no wrong Charlton hero SCP" way that sometimes (understandably) happens on this forum just unwittingly encourages the
    " Powell's s@@t!" type comments.

Personally I like him warts and all!

Couldn't have said it better.
  • "Lets be 'aving you"

Is that a dare for me to run on the pitch with Delia's rallying call. Tuns ?

HaHa!! Certainly not. Poor old Delia, she must cringe everytime that is replayed. However, if the mood takes you Fanny, go for it!

(:

• I'm probably more in support if him than I have been in the past 18 months. He has a very very difficult job now and has my total support.

However, over that time and with sometimes a better team, he hasn't really made it easy for himself, especially with performances at the The Valley, where the majority see us regularly.

Looking forward to tomorrow, if it doesn't get abandoned. Most excited I have been in a while with a few new faces.

If we are to go down, I want us to have a go at least.

Come On You Reds
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2014

Superbly written, AFKA and FF. 100% agree.

Over the years too many of us have seen too many relegation struggles (in my case seven unsuccessful ones). The circumstances this season have been unprecedented, and I would say that survival in 2014 will be an achievement wholly unique.

The unreal cohesion of the 2011/12 squad was little short of miraculous, not least because from the outside it all just seemed to happen, to fall into place quite naturally. That says as much for the professionalism and capabilities of our manager and his crew as for the triumph itself. If SCP manages a repeat performance, with the shreds of last year's squad supplemented by arrivals from Euro FC, that will be nothing short of absolutely stunning.

Well, I believe he can do it and I believe he will do it. The Roller has bought himself a diamond mine - time for these gems to sparkle. Of course the fans will also play their inestimable part - the divisions and toxicity of the past few weeks will be set aside as the team and the supporters rally each other and the season finishes with a triumphant surge just like the old days (and so unlike many of the recent limp springtimes).

It's been said before but never said better - WE ARE MANY, WE ARE ONE.
  • GHF, I've also seen many (6?) unsuccessful fights against relegation. If we survive this season it will truly be an amazing effort. I must admit that I'm not that confident; we have had so many bad cards in our hand this year, all dealt by the previous owners. The lack of goals is the key problem & we need to solve this quickly to have any chance. To plagiarise Oooh Ahhhh: 75% chance of relegation, 25% chance of survival.

• To win ten of our last 19 games will require more than a handful of miracles, but there has been so much bad luck so far that surely we are entitled to hope that things will even themselves out. This may be a matter of faith rather than rationality, but when was life in SE7 ever different ? UTA !!
  • I think Barnsley and Yeovil will definitely go down...as for the remaining team? That's going to be one of probably Charlton, Millwall , Donny, Bolton, Birmingham or Wednesday. Blackpool and up are almost certainly safe. I don't see why we can't get above Millwall. Their goal difference is twice as bad as ours, and we have a game in hand on them.

I think it's unlikely Bolton will go down, though it would be interesting if they did. They have a very high level of debt, so they'd likely have to go into Administration.

The game with Birmingham is very important. It's going to give us a good indicator both about where the club will likely be at the end of the season and where Powell will be.

I say we probably need 21 more points to be safe.
  • Despite what I think of Powells tactics and brand of football he and the team will have my 100% backing at 3 o'clock today, lets hope those who are thinking of going today actually go, make some noise as our season starts today, COYR
  • vffvff
    edited February 2014
    Great summary by AFKA of the current Charlton situation.

Today's game is important. It also depends if Charlton take in emergency loans in midfield or on the wing (Jordan Ibe - Liverpool ?). A decent replacement for Stephens (forward thinking midfielder), short term or view to longer term may make the difference in ensuring that there is good service to the new front 2. Not sure if Astrid was expected to be the replacement for Stephens or not. Time will tell. Whether Charlton survive in the Champs will depend on the quality on the pitch and the players the managers has to work with.

There is still hope. The Charlton crowd can play a big part in encouraging the team on the pitch.
  • My expectations at the start of the season were a relegation battle ending with us staying up.

So we're at most a few wins off were I expected us to be. I want to see what Powell can do with these new players over the next few games.
  • I think Barnsley and Yeovil will definitely go down...as for the remaining team? That's going to be one of probably Charlton, Millwall , Donny, Bolton, Birmingham or Wednesday. Blackpool and up are almost certainly safe. I don't see why we can't get above Millwall. Their goal difference is twice as bad as ours, and we have a game in hand on them.

I think it's unlikely Bolton will go down, though it would be interesting if they did. They have a very high level of debt, so they'd likely have to go into Administration.

The game with Birmingham is very important. It's going to give us a good indicator both about where the club will likely be at the end of the season and where Powell will be.

I say we probably need 21 more points to be safe.

I don't think Blackpool are safe. They have been in free fall since being in the top 6 a couple of months ago.
  • By this stage of the season the table gives a clear indication to where you really are. We are real relegation prospects. We have bobbed around the bottom all season, sold first team players, brought in some real unknowns and if we then sack our manager we can complete the disaster.
    I would love to see us out of this mess but I really can't see it happening.