Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield Wednesday advance purchase train tickets

Not surprisingly this is not going to be cheap.

East Midlands trains are doing return travel for £40, before any railcard discounts.

Going via Doncaster is an option but at the moment their tickets are roughly the same price, then you have another £7 for a South Yorkshire day pass to cover Doncaster to Sheffield and back.

Comments

• Hang on, have just gone on to the megabus site, the 9.26 out is £15 as well is the 19.29 coming back. This is megabus but using the train.
    For fares using the coach you can go for £10 return. Going out on the 8 or 9.30 from Victoria, but only on the 19.00 coming back.
    Usually go up on the coach and back by train when doing Sheffield, too much of a sore a*** being stuck on a coach for 7-8 hours in a day!
  • edited January 2014
    0856 up there
    Arrive 1058

1829 back
    Arrive 2030

Both direct.
    £40.50
  • We def on the Saturday then?
  • Nicholas said:

We def on the Saturday then?

Wednesday must get first option for that weekend as United have a replay, take it as Saturday at 3pm
  • I'm almost certain it'll be on Saturday BUT, if it's on TV then things could change.
  • I'm almost certain it'll be on Saturday BUT, if it's on TV then things could change.

If our game is on tele I'll buy a season ticket to pal.......nah can't do that

Am I right in thinking that Wednesday will get 'first shout' on playing Saturday
  • Nicholas said:

We def on the Saturday then?

Wednesday must get first option for that weekend as United have a replay, take it as Saturday at 3pm
    That makes sense, fingers crossed it's a Saturday, will book up tomorrow

Am I right in thinking that Wednesday will get 'first shout' on playing Saturday
    Depends what mood the SYP are in, but yeah we should get the shout, I really can't see United winning Fulham away though, but if they do then their game should be on Sunday.

Depends what mood the SYP are in, but yeah we should get the shout, I really can't see United winning Fulham away though, but if they do then their game should be on Sunday.

New Barrack Tavern at 12 it is then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Just booked us on the 9.26 out and the 18.29 back, £38 rtn with Eastmidlands at the mo but I'd imagine those prices will go up sharply quite soon
  • Bear in mind that 50% of the 5th round matches will be televised (I think) - possibly on 3 different channels.

I can see there is a reasonable chance that one of them might pick us up as the only tie not involving a Premiership team (assuming Fulham get through). I think it's a bit of a gamble assuming we won't get chosen.

Personally I have a hunch that either Sheff Utd (if they get through), or us (if they don't) will be televised, as they do like to show a lower league match in the cup.

If we're televised it definitely won't be 3pm Saturday due to the blackout.
  • Theres no way we will be televised.

It'll be the big two games plus lower league v Prem (Wigan maybe?)
  • Just checked and apparently 5 of the 8 games will be televised.
  • no way would they choose two championship teams as a live game.

Sheff Utd will come good.
  • MrOneLung said:

no way would they choose two championship teams as a live game.

this - we won't be on the box
  • Don't forget its Friday night as well. 1 x game Friday night on the box, 1 x game Sat evening on the box, 2 x games Sunday on the box. That is 4 out of 8? I still do not think we will get picked but it's not a given.
  • sometimes they do two on a saturday (lunchtime/dinner time)
  • Add another for the lunchtime slot on Saturday, as happened in the round just gone. I still think we'll be one of the 3 to start at 3pm on the Saturday though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't forget its Friday night as well. 1 x game Friday night on the box, 1 x game Sat evening on the box, 2 x games Sunday on the box. That is 4 out of 8? I still do not think we will get picked but it's not a given.

Five of the eight games will be televised. Given that there's no real giant killing angle and no where near the viewing figures that the other games can command I'm pretty sure ITV/BT's will not be opting to screen our game.

• If it's 5 of 8 games;

Arsenal v Liverpool
    City v Chelsea
    Brighton v Hull
    Everton v Swansea
    Fulham v Forest - if it works out
  • Not sure why but I have this gut feeling we will get shown on tv, which of the championship clubs will make it into the quarters blah blah blah.

The ones that will def be on tele are City v Chelsea, Arsenal v Liverpool, Everton v Swansea.

Then the rest look shit,

Sheffield United or Fulham v Nottingham Forest or Preston North End yawn fest
    Brighton & Hove Albion v Hull City yawn fest
    Cardiff City v Wigan Athletic super yawn fest
    Sunderland v Southampton yawn fest but has a good chance
    Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic something different
  • Nicholas said:

Not sure why but I have this gut feeling we will get shown on tv, which of the championship clubs will make it into the quarters blah blah blah.

The ones that will def be on tele are City v Chelsea, Arsenal v Liverpool, Everton v Swansea.

Then the rest look shit,

Sheffield United or Fulham v Nottingham Forest or Preston North End yawn fest
    Brighton & Hove Albion v Hull City yawn fest
    Cardiff City v Wigan Athletic super yawn fest
    Sunderland v Southampton yawn fest but has a good chance
    Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic something different Wake me up when its over

• If Sheff Utd get beat (which of course they won't because they are coming good) the game between us and Wed will represent the two lowest ranked teams left in the competition which might tickle ITV's fancy.
  • We 100% won't be on tele
  • Brighton v Hull might be on as a potential shock
  • Is that a shock though.
  • Got 5 adult tickets this evening from Megabus (Megatrain) for £33 a head - £7 less than East Midland, although you don't get seat reservations. We're on the 9.26 out and the 7.29 back. If by some miracle the game is not on Saturday, you can change the tickets and just pay (or be rebated) the difference.
  • edited January 2014

Going via Doncaster is an option but at the moment their tickets are roughly the same price, then you have another £7 for a South Yorkshire day pass to cover Doncaster to Sheffield and back.

No trains between Swinton and Doncaster on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 February 2014.

Start date
    15/02/2014
    End date
    16/02/2014
    Route affected
    Download map of route affected - Map CrossCountry - trains between Birmingham New Street and Newcastle East Midlands Trains - trains between London St Pancras and York First TransPennine Express - trains between Manchester Airport and Cleethorpes Northern Rail - trains between Sheffield and Hull / Scarborough
    Train operators affected
    CrossCountry , East Midlands Trains , First TransPennine Express , Northern Rail
    Description
    Engineering work is taking place between Swinton and Doncaster.
    Cross Country and East Midlands Trains
    Trains are diverted between Sheffield and York and will not call at Doncaster. Customers should change at Sheffield for road / rail connection to / from Doncaster.
    First TransPennine Express
    No trains will run between Meadowhall and Doncaster.
    On Saturday, buses will run between Meadowhall and Doncaster but will not connect with trains.
    On Sunday, buses replace trains between Sheffield and Doncaster.
    Northern Rail
    Buses replace trains between Swinton and Doncaster with some buses extended to Sheffield.