Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yohann Thuram (zombie thread)

Thought he deserved his own thread now that it's looking increasingly more likely that he'll be number two on loan from Standard Liege. Not a position that we are desperate to improve but if he's better than what we have it has to be a good move.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/9107102/transfer-news-charlton-set-to-sign-standard-liege-goalkeeper-yohann-thuram-on-loan

Comments

• edited January 2014
    An article from a French source that apparently confirms it as well as stating his apparent strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2014/yohann-thuram-ulien-agrees-loan-deal-with-charlton-athletic/
  • Bit off the wall to sign a third GK when we are not lacking in that department but I think we need to get used to off the wall comings and goings now Mr. Duchatelet and his slightly odd business views are calling the shots.
  • We get him on loan for a free and then sell either Hamer or Alnwick for cash? Just a thought...
  • Surprised no-one has YouTube scouted him yet!!

http://youtu.be/xsnWHRCKN2U

Doesn't seem to like catching the ball......
  • He's a very vocal leader of the defence, apparently. Hope his English is good in that case...
  • Good on fifa, 74 rated whereas our highest rated player is Sordell at 70

(proves you can't trust fifa ratings at all unfortunately)
  • I like both Hamer & Alnwick though neither is totally convincing .. GK is one of the most important (if not THE most) positions .. if Thuram is a better keeper, bring him on
  • edited January 2014
    Weird one I have to admit. Feels a bit strange because it's a keeper - and many of us are fond of Hamer, at least as a person (I happen to rate him as a keeper too!)

At least when a striker comes in on loan ahead of you, you might hope that you can make the bench or perhaps that the manager will play 2/3 strikers. But with a keeper it's all or nothing.

This either means that RD wants his keeper playing and has decided for Powell, or that Powell wants him to play as he doesn't rate the other 2 we have. Which is harsh IMO.

Also a strange one because, like people have said, Powell can only loan 4 players from Standard and this takes up 1 slot. I wouldn't have said a keeper would have been a top 4 priority (IMO).
  • Feel sorry for both Hamer and Alnwick although if they're both out of Contract in the summer and this bloke comes to us on loan again then it saves RD a bit of money
  • I hope Hamer is not going to go from Number 1 to third choice keeper!! Have to start calling him Nicky Weaver.

Could just mean that either Hamer or Alnwick are going this window?
  • Sponsored links:

• He is the cousin of the legend Lilian Thuram, the most capped French international!
  • Surprised no-one has YouTube scouted him yet!!

http://youtu.be/xsnWHRCKN2U

Doesn't seem to like catching the ball......

He caught it once in the entire video!!!
  • Watched the video - he's a good shot stopper, but seemingly too often parries the ball back into dangerous areas. His handling doesn't seem too clean either - I shudder to think what he's like coming for crosses under pressure; I got the impression that he stays rooted to his goal line and lets his CBs handle the crosses?

Some of his saves are spectacular - and need to be, because he seems to move late.
    Maybe better positioning would make many of these unnecessary?

He doesn't strike me as a safe keeper.

• Where's that 'Worried' thread?
  • sasquatch said:

He is the cousin of the legend Lilian Thuram, the most capped French international!

Thanks it's was annoying me why his name was so familiar.

• sasquatch said:

He is the cousin of the legend Lilian Thuram, the most capped French international!

Thanks it's was annoying me why his name was so familiar.

This .. Lilian was some defender and a World Cup winner as I recall having scored a goal or 2? .. but I digress !!
  • So who is going to leave?
  • To be fair to him, it's a compilation video of all the shots that he's saved spectacularly. However I think I counted 4 shots which were probably catchable but if he had caught them, the probably wouldn't have been in the video.
  • Some good saves in that YouTube clip, but nothing Hamer wouldn't save imo. Worringly little footage of him 'dealing' with crosses except one unconvincing punch near the start and he parries shots back into the danger area quite a lot.

Not sure about this one, not because of the player himself but not sure where this one goes for Charlton. If he's no good then we don't need him as we have two keepers likely of similar quality to Thuram. If he's actually a very good prospect then he's likely just being sent to prep him for going back to Liege in the summer - did someone mention their 1st choice keeper is expected to move on in the summer?

In some areas of the pitch we're getting a little bit desperate so if we have to take on a young Liege striker only to send him back in the summer then needs must, not so much point upsetting Hamer and Alnwick for this fella unless we're going to keep him permanently, imho.
  • This just smacks of Forest's owners signing some unknown Kuiwait keeper and Lee Camp quitting shortly followed by the manager. There's no way SCP will think a new keeper is a priority.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought she was good in Pulp Fiction
  • unless hamer's injury is worse than expected and we need cover for alnwick i cant understand this one
  • Where's Mervyn Day?
  • vffvff
    edited January 2014
    Handy to have a keeper on loan standby, particularly when your main keeper may be about to enter contract negotiations.

I understand that Duchalet likes players to travel as it improves them as characters and people. Being in England Thuram will have plenty of opportunity to practise and improve with crosses.

No idea if he is any good or will get anywhere near the team. Or will be expected to play by Duchelet. Its not like outfield players, a 2nd goalkeeper can take months to get a game if the main keeper is not injured and playing well.

Maybe it is to see whether Thuram can settle and be involved next season.

Lots of competition though for that goalkeeping spot.
  • The comments suggest he has come to play otherwise he may as well be No2 at Standard Liege. Not the first position which needs strengthening.
    The 4 loan limit can be overcome (as it as at Watford) by signing players and "selling" back when it suits
  • The thing is, if we take him off Standard I imagine we're not paying much, if anything. In that case, if he's better than what we currently have then why wouldn't we bring him in? We have two decent keepers but I'd take a better player in any position as long as it makes financial sense
  • all i want is 2 strikers and a facking wide man is that too much to ask!
  • Players being brought in to positions that do not need strengthening from the owners club, CP is going to have to work pretty hard to avoid the established players morale and motivation dropping.
  • This guy was 2nd best keeper in Ligue 1 last season just behind Salvatore Sirigu. For Fifa players he featured in Ultimate Team's Team of the Season (Ligue 1) based on his real life man of the match performances. I suspect he is our new no 1.
  • Pavo said:

This guy was 2nd best keeper in Ligue 1 last season just behind Salvatore Sirigu. For Fifa players he featured in Ultimate Team's Team of the Season (Ligue 1) based on his real life man of the match performances. I suspect he is our new no 1.

I don't think he's coming in to warm the bench either.