Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 13th November 1993. Charlton 5 Notts County 1

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 13th November 1993. Charlton Athletic 5 (1) (Leaburn 43, Nelson 48 58, Newton 78, Walsh 86) Notts County 1 (1) (Agana 5). The Valley. Att: 7,226

Charlton: Salmon, Balmer, Minto, Garland (Bailey 76), Chapple, McLeary, Grant (Newton 58), Pitcher, Leaburn, Nelson, Walsh. Unused sub: Vaughan.

Notts County: Cherry, Gallagher, King, Walker, Johnson, Turner, Devlin, Draper, Goater, Lund, Agana (Matthews 80). Unused subs: Robinson, Catlin.

Referee:Paul Danson (Leicester)

Comments

• Remember this one, my first season of going on a regular basis as a 12 year old. Thought i was supporting Brazil!
  • Remember that very well. The covered end booing Grant's miss (see we were just as fickle then), and Curbs trying to tell each and every one of our players not to applaud us!
  • was this not the game that someone climbed out of the covered end and tried to or actually clumped one of the notts county players
  • edited November 2007
    And Carl Leaburn also got player of the year.
    He also scored in the 3-3 at Meadow lane
  • like wss this was my first season going on regular basis and it was the first game i had seen as thump someone. i also remember kim grant getting it from the covered end and curbs not letting the players come up to us at the end. i also remember shaun newton scoring a cracker as a 17 year old and me thinking he was the best player ever.
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]was this not the game that someone climbed out of the covered end and tried to or actually clumped one of the notts county players

Fat John ! Think this happened at another game, not this one. Pushed him other rather than clumped him.
  • I remember this one as I came on a target 10,000 coach with two of my daughters.

They were lucky as they saw us score 5 goals in this one, Peterborough (Garry Nelson got a hat-trick) and WBA (please let us repeat that this season!) in either that season or the one before. Not to mention the 4-3 Southend game which was their Charlton debut!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]And Carl Leaburn also got player of the year.
    He also scored in the 3-3 at Meadow lane[/quote]

Was at the away game, only about 200 there. Gary Nelson scored twice in the last 6 mins to earn the draw.
  • why did Curbs not want the players to applaud us?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]why did Curbs not want the players to applaud us?

For abusing Kim Grant.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]why did Curbs not want the players to applaud us?

For abusing Kim Grant.

Mind you, it was a shocking miss. Didn't someone have a shot, their keeper fumbled it, the ball fell to KG six yards out with an open goal and he fluffed it wide?

I remember that the game was really tight at the time (1-1?) which kinda puts the abuse into some context. It's not as though we were 5-1 up at the time.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]why did Curbs not want the players to applaud us?

grant missed a really easy open goal in front of the covered end which sent out a chorus of, off off off if i re3member right.
  • My eldest lads first game at 6 1/2 years old. I remeber it very clearly. In the South Stand, front row of the top section so had a good view for him.

Our equaliser...... Fatty Garland free kick, spilt by the keeper, Leaburn followed up only for his effort to be stopped on the line by the REF! He did manage to poke the ball home in the end though.

The boy asking if it was time to go home at half time. (Coke and a mars bar soon made him forget that)

Booing of Kim Grant.

Newtons goal. Still got his shirt from that season. Squad number 14.

Sweaty Balmer performing a step-over in the County box late on but failing to notch the 6th goal.

My lad asking if we could come again next week :-) (and yes, he still comes every week)
  • 19 years on...
  • The booing of Grant was discussed on another thread recently and as I wrote on there, I thought it was disgusting.

Some moan about booing the team after the odd really bad performance (I have been guilty of this). Well these were the days when they weren't even earning mega bucks and I felt so sorry for our future hero of bermondsey.
  • Crowd weren't booing Grant. They were chanting "off, off, off"
  • Was this the game where Shaun Newton scored from about 25 yards ?
    I thought he'd be a top player after that goal.

I wasn't. Too polite for that. Was thinking it though ;o)
    Top day though, excellent result. Then a few shandies in Soho before last train to York. Good times.

Even worse!
  • edited November 2012
    I was there but pretty sure this wasn't the Notts C game of fan trying to battered smirking defender fame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think that might have the been the 2.1 game a couple of years earlier when Pardew scored the winner from a penalty at the South Stand end. Recall something happening at the other end that day!
  • Sweaty Balmer having to wear squad number 1 all season long...
  • Yeah that was a strange set up with those squad numbers!
  • My old school friend Tony Agana scored the opener for County right in front of me.
  • edited November 2012
    Spankie said:

Sweaty Balmer having to wear squad number 1 all season long...

Alphabetical order, wasn't it?

Did seem strange to see a player in a number 1 shirt, playing outfield.

• I rememeber my old man not taking me because it was pissing down outside, Think I had the hump for about a week.
  • 21 years ago

"off, off, off"
  • Great game that in my first real full season watching us.
  • Didn't we spank Peterborough 5-1 at home that season too with Nelse getting a hat-trick? Two 5-1 home wins in a single season.... seems inconceivable with the desperately blunt attack we have had for the last 18 months or so, and to be honest seems inconceivable looking back then as my recollection of us that season is that we generally struggled to score goals... that might just have been during the post-Man Utd descent though...
  • Didn't we spank Peterborough 5-1 at home that season too with Nelse getting a hat-trick? Two 5-1 home wins in a single season.... seems inconceivable with the desperately blunt attack we have had for the last 18 months or so, and to be honest seems inconceivable looking back then as my recollection of us that season is that we generally struggled to score goals... that might just have been during the post-Man Utd descent though...

Yeah first Charlton player to get a hatrick in so many years i seem to remember.