Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Derby County Saturday 14th December 2013 MATCH PREVIEW with Predictions, News and Views

Due to the fog that seems to be hanging around Preview Towers it has been decided to clear the air with a northern view of the clash between two southern clubs at either end of the Championship.

The Opposition

Will arrive in SE London lying in 4th place in the Championship having won their last 5 games and in the previous two games having completed 1237 passes at 87.5% accuracy with 36 shots yielding 7 goals. Their fans think they play better than Barcelona, sorry wasn't that Barnsley, and that they will walk the Championship being top by Christmas with only the Addicks and Donny to beat - simple.

Having said that red cards do seem to help them as Blackpool had 2 reds and in the previous game Middlesborough had one red card, so it might be a novelty playing against a team of eleven. Their top scorer with 13 goals is Chris Martin and we might get to see Michael Keane, a central defender, who they recently signed on loan from Man Utd and has also played for England under 21s, he came on as a substitute in their last game. Their manager should be easy to spot by his choice of rain protection and his Dutch accent.

The Referee

I am reliably informed that it will be Andy Davis who has only reefed one Championship game this season although he does have experience of the Valley as he officiated at our Capital One Cup win over Oxford United. He averages 4 yellow cards a game and tends to give out a red card every 5th game, and yes you've guessed it, this is the 5th game.

The Mighty Charlton

Backs to Wall, Game of Attrition, Park the Bus, Must Win Game - are all phrases that come to mind to describe our current predicament.
The team returned from a day out down west with a feeling of injustice and now is the time to put that wrong right, at least they have learnt how to score goals, even Morrison except he did it at the wrong end. So who will CP choose for us to do a Leicester on them, well Hamer isn't fit nor is Cort, Solly had a game mid week with the under 21s but how is young Cousins after limping off at Yeovil. From this lofty northern perch I can predict a team of:

Alnwick
Solly, Morrison, Wood, Wiggins
Stephens, Cousins, Jackson, Stewart (edit: Jackson suspended so instead Pritchard,Cousins,Stephens, Stewart)
Church, Sordell

subs: Pope, Wilson,Devite, Gower, Pritchard, Harriott, Kermorgant

The Result

Charlton 2 Derby 1 with the opposition down to 10 men after 65 minutes.

Comments

• 0-3 to the Rams and goodbye SCP
  • Isnt jackson suspended?
  • A Derby we can win....................2-1 to the mighty addicks
  • The (not such) a wally with a brolly sees off the bloke in a flat cap without breaking sweat. 4-0 to the Rams and the natives start getting restless.
  • Injuries permitting:

Alnwick

Solly
    Morrison
    Wood
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Cousins
    Stephens
    Stewart

Kermorgant
    Sordell
  • Id like to see:

Alnwick

Solly
    Morrison
    Wood
    Wiggins

Green
    Stephens
    Cousins
    Stewart

Church
    Kermorgant
  • much appreciated LL, really looking forward to this one and think its going to be a cracking game. Got a good feeling about this.
  • Good preview lancs, glad to see someone could be bothered, typical, now the yanks have pulled out admin lose interest :-)
  • much appreciated LL, really looking forward to this one and think its going to be a cracking game. Got a good feeling about this.

Good or bad?
  • edited December 2013
    McLaren has woken up a team which had gone to sleep under Too Nice Nigel.
    They are a good strong team all round, except for a possible weakness in goal. My Burnley contacts did a sigh of relief when Grant was sold on.
    This has home win written all over it .. BUT .. so did the Watford & Blackburn games. We play much better away and have yet to get a thrashing, although to my mind, we would have got more points had we attacked more. Still, what's happened has happened.
    I can see us getting a point here (my specs are permanently rose tinted) with this starting team, sans the suspended Jackson.

Alnwick .. Solly Morrison Wood Wiggins ... Wilson Cousins Stephens Stewart .... Kermorgant Church

Derby County 1 v CAFC 1
  • Sponsored links:

• I just love the "two up front" brigade. We lose every time and our strikers never score.

5-5-0 and hope for a miracle.

More chance of an own goal than Kerms, Church of Wales or Marvin Gaye scoring.
  • Injuries permitting:

Alnwick

Solly
    Morrison
    Wood
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Cousins
    Stephens
    Stewart

Kermorgant
    Sordell

I like this team. Fingers crossed but not expecting anything but a loss. Expect to see the effort put in though.
  • I think after the week we've had as a club off the pitch we will do it on the pitch in true underdog style. hard fought 2 -1 victory.
  • McLaren has woken up a team which had gone to sleep under Too Nice Nigel.
    They are a good strong team all round, except for a possible weakness in goal. My Burnley contacts did a sigh of relief when Grant was sold on.
    This has home win written all over it .. BUT .. so did the Watford & Blackburn games. We play much better away and have yet to get a thrashing, although to my mind, we would have got more points had we attacked more. Still, what's happened has happened.
    I can see us getting a point here (my specs are permanently rose tinted) with this starting team, sans the suspended Jackson.

Alnwick .. Solly Morrison Wood Wiggins ... Wilson Cousins Stephens Stewart .... Kermorgant Church

Derby County 1 v CAFC 1

We are at home, you do realise that? Or am I having a whoosh moment?
  • 0-3 defeat at best i'm afraid.
  • Dizzle said:

McLaren has woken up a team which had gone to sleep under Too Nice Nigel.
    They are a good strong team all round, except for a possible weakness in goal. My Burnley contacts did a sigh of relief when Grant was sold on.we're due a good home performnc

Derby County 1 v CAFC 1

We are at home, you do realise that? Or am I having a whoosh moment?
    No .. it's me having a senile moment .. my mind had strayed to Notlob/Bolton .. as we are at home .. mmmmm a rethink is necessary ... we're due a good performance .. same team

CAFC 2 v Derby County 0
  • First home game I'm going to be missing in the league since that night against Swindon and parky got the chop.

We play well against the better teams but this is a very good derby and expect it to be the best team we've come up against this season.

A bad defeat 0-4 and slipping into the bottom 3.

I hope I'm so very wrong.
    In SCP we trust
  • Take a point ....
    Unfortunately we won't get one
    Charlton 1 Derby 4 and the ball bursts
  • First home game I'm going to be missing in the league since that night against Swindon and parky got the chop.

We play well against the better teams but this is a very good derby and expect it to be the best team we've come up against this season.

A bad defeat 0-4 and slipping into the bottom 3.

I hope I'm so very wrong.
    In SCP we trust

I think all you charlton fans are being abit harsh on your team I think you will do better than what you say I think you will lose but tough game for us you will come out fighting just as long as you close our players down make it hard for us you will always have a chance
  • Sponsored links:

• In an attempt to freshen things up, I would play killer, walsh and give peacock a role out wide, , but I am expecting 4-5-1 and a draw.
  • Dont understand why Dervite should be changed , he was rated 3rd and 4th best player on the 2 last games and is the only one who tries to get the ball out properly , rated above Morisson whose technique is limited to pass back to GK or hoof ball.... . better try a Wood Dervite pair .
  • 0-4
    tj and ms had earmarked this game to impress the new owners by giving lapsed s/t holders a free ticket. The gate will be announced as 17000, where in reality there will be 17000 empty seats.
    Even the derby fans with their extra digits won't be able to fathom it.
  • Thanks for covering LL!-Great preview too!

Passed my practice exam today and on hols from Uni starting tomorrow so will be able to get to Saturday's game for the first time in a while!

1-1 draw.
  • Think it's fair to say we've not had luck on our side against Leeds, QPR, Ipswich, Reading or Yeovil in recent weeks. Don't dispute that in some of those games the damage has been self-inflicted, but I also think you could make a strong case for Charlton deserving a better result than they got in all of those matches. Without getting too scientific, a luckier team than us would have 8 points to show from our performances in those games.

Another 90 minutes of 100% effort on Saturday, I fear an undeserved 1-0 defeat, I dream of one of those days when our shots bounce down off the crossbar and over the line and theirs bounce off the crossbar into Alnwick's arms.

4-1 to us after going 1 down early on, spirit of Cardiff November 2011.
  • Our home form is cack so it`s the usual mind numbing hoof it up to no-one football without a shot worthy of the name for 90 mins. Derby`s easiest game of the season by a distance. 0.3 at least!
  • Two screamers from last season vs Derby:

DANNY GREEN --> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/danny-green-goal-vs-derby-county/

DANNY HAYNES --> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/danny-haynes-goal-vs-derby-county/

Here's PAUL WILLIAMS finishing off a lovely one touch move against the Rams from many years ago --> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/paul-williams-goal-vs-derby-county/

Desperate for a win this Saturday, but I don't think we'll get it.

• Every other club keeps mentioning our player will Hughes as our danger man he is an excellent prospect with great vision but the player you need to watch in our midfield is Craig Bryson he really is our star midfielder 9 goals already this season the way we play we like to attack down your wings with both full backs pushing on that's where we get most of our goals from we are averaging over 2 goals a game!! Another player whose on fire at the min is Simon Dawkins a very skillfull quick winger who also scores a few I can honestly say derby are the best I've seen them since the likes of wanchope and stimac played for us but as I've mentioned before on here we do have a weakness it's from set pieces if you can get a good ball into our box I think you will always have a chance. Our goalkeeper grant is an excellent shot stopper but not the most commanding in the box so I would defo say that's our weakness don't be too upset if you lose on Saturday you have got a great manager and I think defo good enough to stay up..

• Derbydave69 Member
    5:44PM
    Every other club keeps mentioning our player will Hughes as our danger man he is an excellent prospect with great vision but the player you need to watch in our midfield is Craig Bryson he really is our star midfielder 9 goals already this season the way we play we like to attack down your wings with both full backs pushing on that's where we get most of our goals from we are averaging over 2 goals a game!! Another player whose on fire at the min is Simon Dawkins a very skillfull quick winger who also scores a few I can honestly say derby are the best I've seen them since the likes of wanchope and stimac played for us but as I've mentioned before on here we do have a weakness it's from set pieces if you can get a good ball into our box I think you will always have a chance. Our goalkeeper grant is an excellent shot stopper but not the most commanding in the box so I would defo say that's our weakness don't be too upset if you lose on Saturday you have got a great manager and I think defo good enough to stay up..
    Flag Quote

I'll think I'll just slit my wrists now........................................