Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

remember Agincourt !

oiiiiiiiii Big Rob -------"on this day----"

Comments

• and of course the genesis of the Churchillian V sign .. the fingers which pulled the strings on the bows, arrows from which destroyed the French armies more than once
  • edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
  • and of course the genesis of the Churchillian V sign .. the fingers which pulled the strings on the bows, arrows from which destroyed the French armies more than once

Queue 5 pages of argument and counter argument re: the veracity of this...;0) ending in the throwing of insults and enourmous cut n paste quotes from discredited historians, finally ending in the assertion that someone, somewhere is a nazi.
    I have a mate who studied this loads and said it was a myth. That's all I have to say :)
  • I'd deleted my comment as being too cynical and not in keeping with the tone of the original post! ;0)
  • edited October 2013
    20 years ago, a very well educated French friend of mine watched a TV documentary on Agincourt, but thought it was fiction, as at the time of her secondary education this particular battle was not included in the schools history books.

Bad losers or what?
  • History is written by the victors.

Definitely an urban myth, but still a great event.
    Did you know a quarter of our troops were Welsh?
  • 20 years ago, a very well educated French friend of mine watched a TV documentary on Agincourt, but thought it was fiction, as at the time of her secondary education this particular battle was not included in the schools history books.

Bad losers or what?

If the French omit a battle/war everytime it ends in their defeat French history books must be pretty thin !
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

20 years ago, a very well educated French friend of mine watched a TV documentary on Agincourt, but thought it was fiction, as at the time of her secondary education this particular battle was not included in the schools history books.

Bad losers or what?

If the French omit a battle/war everytime it ends in their defeat French history books must be pretty thin !
    Napoleon gave them plenty to read about.......until he got his comeuppance :-)
  • Uboat said:

and of course the genesis of the Churchillian V sign .. the fingers which pulled the strings on the bows, arrows from which destroyed the French armies more than once

Definitely an urban myth, but still a great event.
    Did you know a quarter of our troops were Welsh?
    And presumably half were Scots as per the norm?
  • no, they were our enemies then and a separate country.
  • edited October 2013
    In History we used to read about the 'Auld Alliance' between Scotland and France. Not sure of dates or if it was something that ebbed and flowed.
    Agincourt was a lot about weaponry and the longbow I believe.
    The Olivier Henry V has an impressive bit when the arrows fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-BwhZFoDg
  • Also the weather played a part, I believe. The battlefield was something akin to the pitch for Doncaster game and we adapted best (unlike the Doncaster game).
  • Uboat said:

Also the weather played a part, I believe. The battlefield was something akin to the pitch for Doncaster game and we adapted best (unlike the Doncaster game).

Well we did have a Frenchman in our team !
  • Funnily enough I'm doing a history course and have just covered this period. Both England and France have used this part of history to suit their own ends, for example we never learn much about the Siege of Orleans. And as the old saying goes, England may have won the battle, but lost the war.
  • edited October 2013
  • History's a lie that they teach you in school
    A fraudulent view called the golden rule
  • edited October 2013
    If people havent read it already then Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell is a great Historical-Fiction read on the Battle / siege of Harfleur

Visited the battlefield a good 5/6 years ago now, really interesting place
  • Sponsored links:

• If people havent read it already then Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell is a great Historical-Fiction read on the Battle / siege of Harfleur

Visited the battlefield a good 5/6 years ago now, really interesting place

I've read it. Great book.
  • seth plum said:

In History we used to read about the 'Auld Alliance' between Scotland and France. Not sure of dates or if it was something that ebbed and flowed.

look at 1.55 when they're all retreating into the woods, one of the bowmen looks like he throws the arrow instead of using the bow!
  • seth plum said:

look at 1.55 when they're all retreating into the woods, one of the bowmen looks like he throws the arrow instead of using the bow!
    lol! that is a terrible shot... Used to do better than that with my toy bow
  • A famous film made on a shoestring in 1944 I believe. William Walton doing the music, filmed in Ireland.
    There is the famous story of Olivier (Star and Director) asking a very doubtful Irish extra to jump from a tree onto a Knight riding by and take him off his horse. The Irishman said 'Sure, will ye just show me how it's done first sorr?'
  • seth plum said:

A famous film made on a shoestring in 1944 I believe. William Walton doing the music, filmed in Ireland.
    There is the famous story of Olivier (Star and Director) asking a very doubtful Irish extra to jump from a tree onto a Knight riding by and take him off his horse. The Irishman said 'Sure, will ye just show me how it's done first sorr?'

My dad watched them make that film. He was 12 at the time. Incidentally, the French have had more military victories than any other European nation. Thought I would mischievously throw that in to the discussion!
  • redsek said:

seth plum said:

A famous film made on a shoestring in 1944 I believe. William Walton doing the music, filmed in Ireland.

My dad watched them make that film. He was 12 at the time. Incidentally, the French have had more military victories than any other European nation. Thought I would mischievously throw that in to the discussion!
    Is it actually possibly to really, accurately measure that ? Sounds like something a Frenchman came up with without anyway of actually proving or disproving the fact.
  • Please bear in mind that if it wasn't for us, the French would now all be speaking German.

Twice.
  • Ironic given that were it not for that little French away trip in 1066, we would still be speaking a dialect of German. Maybe both nations should be mutually grateful for that.
  • The English language is still today a Germanic language.