Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Somewhere different to eat.

Have not been there myself as yet; however, seems a cut above the rest. There is a website address at bottom of article.
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10752438.Forest_Hill_curry_house_crowned_Britain_s_best_Indian_restaurant/

Comments

• Not eaten in but I've had takeaway from there a few times following recommendations from others, definitely a cut above your average curry house.
  • Looks very good. Prices a cut above but no doubt the food is too.
  • MrLargo said:

Not eaten in but I've had takeaway from there a few times following recommendations from others, definitely a cut above your average curry house.

I intend to go. As I live in Bexleyheath, I guess the best option is to go to London Bridge and then out to Honor Oak?

• Some friends of mine live in Forest Hill and have been raving about this for a while
  • pettgra said:

MrLargo said:

Not eaten in but I've had takeaway from there a few times following recommendations from others, definitely a cut above your average curry house.

I intend to go. As I live in Bexleyheath, I guess the best option is to go to London Bridge and then out to Honor Oak?

Pretty much. You could get off at Lewisham and get a cab (or possibly a bus) for the last bit, or get off at New Cross and walk 5 minutes along the road to New Cross Gate and get the train or Overground to Honor Oak from there,probably all takes pretty much the same amount of time I would have thought.
  • MrLargo said:

pettgra said:

MrLargo said:

Pretty much. You could get off at Lewisham and get a cab (or possibly a bus) for the last bit, or get off at New Cross and walk 5 minutes along the road to New Cross Gate and get the train or Overground to Honor Oak from there,probably all takes pretty much the same amount of time I would have thought.
    Thanks for that. Never thought about the cab option, that works.
  • Luckily is one of my local restaurants. Is a fantastic place to eat. Prices are slightly higher but well worth it. Service is good. Definitely a good venue for a special occasion.
  • looks nice, am dining in S3 in Falconwood saturday night and I've not found a better indian that that yet.
  • I'm sorry but that is NOT a Curry House.
  • Riviera said:

I'm sorry but that is NOT a Curry House.

Says it is in the headline..........

• Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

I'm sorry but that is NOT a Curry House.

Says it is in the headline..........

Hence my point!!!!!
  • Babur is excellent. Not a curry house, more your Indian cuisine, but very reasonably priced considering and the food and atmosphere - especially since the refurb a few years ago - is top drawer. It works, incidentally, for both informal and formal occasions.
  • On another tip, CAU (owned by Gaucho) is opening in Blackheath Village.
  • slightly more upmarket Indian food is certainly to be scoffed at. I like the Cinamon Club and the Bombay Bicycle club for after work eating.

still think they can all be termed curry houses as the over-riding dish served there is curry! does a curry house have to be cheap and nasty then?

locally, i must champion the merits of the Coriander in Westcombe Park (only had takeaway mind). average dishes might be 50p-1 pound more expensive than the norm, but i find the quality justifies the slight price addition.

• slightly more upmarket Indian food is certainly to be scoffed at. I like the Cinamon Club and the Bombay Bicycle club for after work eating.

still think they can all be termed curry houses as the over-riding dish served there is curry! does a curry house have to be cheap and nasty then?

locally, i must champion the merits of the Coriander in Westcombe Park (only had takeaway mind). average dishes might be 50p-1 pound more expensive than the norm, but i find the quality justifies the slight price addition.

Coriander is very very good food for the price though. The Cinnamon Club is another good shout, but much more expensive. The Moti Mahal in Queen Street (near Drury Lane) is very good, the last time I was in there they had a whisky tasting tray as well, and their proximity to theatre land means they often have deals on.
  • oh ive not tried that and considering we agree on the other places mentioned...im gonna seek that out next time im out for a curry in the City. so thanks...i hope!
  • rikofold said:

slightly more upmarket Indian food is certainly to be scoffed at. I like the Cinamon Club and the Bombay Bicycle club for after work eating.

Coriander is very very good food for the price though. The Cinnamon Club is another good shout, but much more expensive. The Moti Mahal in Queen Street (near Drury Lane) is very good, the last time I was in there they had a whisky tasting tray as well, and their proximity to theatre land means they often have deals on.
    They've got a branch in Chelmsford (and I checked... it's the same people). Actually a decent price, and very good. Quite a few dishes you don't get anywhere else. If anyone else from Chelmsford is on here, The Shapla on Moulsham Street is great.
  • and considering we are offering recommendations, if any of yous lot get caught hungry in Lewisham I must recommend The Matahari in Hither Green. been going about 10-12 years now, i have yet to enjoy a better asian meal for the prices charged.

all your normal chinese fare but also some nepalese and malaysian food on the menu. the beef sambal is amazing for 5.50.
  • For those who like posh Indian food, the new Gymkhana in Mayfair has been getting some great reviews.

NB the Bombay Bicycle Club has gone bust.
  • Sponsored links:

• And one I mentioned on here before, Dishoom. The nuts!
  • the Hilton at heathrow has the best indian restaurant in it of any hotel I have ever been in one of my top ten indian resturants

coriander
    the poppadum
    cinnamon club

are all good but this bad boy tops the lot imo

http://www.mrtodiwalaskitchen.com/
  • Coriander is the best local to me.

Babur is also very good (their sunday buffet must be the only decent buffet I have ever been to)
  • ah the indian buffet. i am also not a fan. dont like buffet service in general actually as id prefer to eat less but have high quality.

my all time gastronomic low was suffered at Jumbos Chinese buffet in Durham. i should have known that 6 quid for all u can eat was unlikely to be decent. peas and carrotts in different coloured sauces - all tasted the same. utter rank but Newcastle, Gateshead and Middlesborough are absolute foodie hell holes (whoever invented the chicken parma should be shot for crimes against humanity).

• Still don't think you get beat Whitechapel and Tooting for cheap, authetic subcontintal cuisine. Staill miss the Kastoori in Tooting.
  • brick lane is superb so many good food places but not in the same league as some mentioned here
  • brick lane is superb so many good food places but not in the same league as some mentioned here

Love Brick Lane. Also, if you are a veggie there are a few restaurants on Drummond Street near Euston. Do good value buffets that surprisingly aren't rank.
  • brick lane is a great place to spend a decent amount of time mooching around trying different things the food is of good quality
  • Brcik Lane is full of tourist traps. Go just a bit further south and east to Tayyabs, Needoo Grill or Lahore Kebab House. Different kind of food to Cinnammon etc and certainly the interiors aren't anywhere near as good but you pay a lot less and they do some things (like grilled meats) are better.
  • you just have to walk it first its easy to suss out