Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Time for a new Valley hero....

I doubt there are many articles being wrote this morning about footballers from twenty years ago who failed to make the grade. I’m pretty sure there will be even less wrote about sales and marketing managers in their mid40s at Scottish drilling companies.

But John Hendry did something different to the others that fall into those categories. Despite plenty of promise, in a disappointing career John rustled up just 84 professional appearances north and south of the border before cutting his career short. What should have been a huge move to Tottenham Hotspur failed to produce any noticeable achievements, bar one.

To him, I’m sure it is just viewed as his solitary goal in a five-game loan spell to Charlton in an attempt to get some games under his belt. But to those of us stood behind the goal that day on the North Bank at Upton Park (where Charlton continued their convalescence away from The Valley), it was something far more special than that. A sweet, curling right foot strike that is just as memorable 21 years on as it was the next day.

That strike proved to be the winning goal against Millwall.

Very few players in Charlton folklore can lay such claims, which is why John is still regarded as a ‘hero’ in a small part of South East London.

It is not an easy science to determine over time which players fall into the ‘hero and legend’ category, and which ones don’t. There are certainly many good players that don’t make it, so what is it that provides the elevation ? It could come from a ridiculous level of long service, such as Bartram, Gritt, Paddy Powell or Peacock. It could come from consistent, whole-hearted endeavour, like a Brown, Kinsella, Rufus or a Solly. Or it could come from goals, like Killer, Bent or Mendonca.

All those factors are ones that were earned over time as the players put in the appearances and consistency required to stand them out from the rest.
But there is one category where a player can play the joker and fast track themselves to the cabinet without having to put in the hours on the back benches. And that is by doing something special in a big game.

John Fortune won’t be remembered too widely throughout the football world in years to come, but his goal that sent the Palace down will see him forever being remembered at The Valley or when hearing Amarillo. Dennis Rommedahl’s spell with Charlton was one of frustration, a world class player failing to adapt and deliver to the standard that was anticipated. But scoring a last gasp winner at Selhurst for a televised derby overrides all that frustration. Peter Shirtliff’s exploits at St Andrews in 1987 are still fondly remembered 26 years on, while similarly Paul Mortimer still brings a smile from his corner flag trickery / piss taking at the New Den in 1994. Clive became Sir Clive in just one afternoon at Wembley, while Sasa similarly stamped his membership card that day.

All these players done big things in big games. Outside of the Premiership, big games are few and far to come by. We don’t do cup runs so little noticeable gets achieved there, and our derby record against Palace is poor and Millwall a positive joke.

The squad Chris Powell has compiled over the last three years has been one that supporters have very much been aligned with. The likes of Morrison, Wiggins, Jackson, Solly and Kermorgant have proved universally popular and have a champions season, albeit at League One, against their records.

But this squad’s big game record has been mixed; in the promotion season the big games against unbeaten Huddersfield and the two Sheffield games in January were all season defining games, games we raised the bar and positively delivered. That squad didn’t just have ability, it had some balls about it as well.

Last season those big games were derbies versus Palace and Millwall, and while the record will show a pathetic one point out of twelve, the most disappointing thing is there were real expectations for once that this squad had enough character about it to attack the games that mean most for supporter pride.
Sadly, particularly in the Millwall game at The Valley, we were let down. Again. We are sick, pig sick of playing second fiddle to that mob and the on-going misery it brings.

We are owed a performance and we are owed a victory, and now is the time for this crop of players to stand up and deliver.

There is a Legend cap that has been gathering dust whilst waiting for its new owner. Tomorrow is the opportunity to dust it off and place on the head of someone like Kermorgant or Jackson.

Time to deliver chaps. It will be great to write about you in 2034.

Comments

• Great post - wish the players could read the last bits before tomorrow. I hope Powell is having this conversation with them
  • I'd add Kim Grant in the snow and Todorov at Selhurst to that list, great article AFKA, lets hope there is a new name on the cap tomorrow.
  • What's the difference between a 'hero' and a 'legend' in footballing/CAFC terms of reference?
  • Kap10 said:

I'd add Kim Grant in the snow and Todorov at Selhurst to that list, great article AFKA, lets hope there is a new name on the cap tomorrow.

There are a few more i could have added Kap, but decided to limit it. Strangely, i'm not sure i would include Todorov, but would Paul Kitson !
  • actually made my spine tingle that article Dan. I got a funny feeling Church is gonna do it tomorrow.
  • I get the feeling that deep down many fans want it to be Kermorgant who buries these mugs. He's the closest player we have to cult hero status, and a winner tomorrow would pretty much confirm it.

As I said in another thread - the fans have to play their part. The home support was unbelievably poor against Millwall and Palace last season, whilst their fans rallied them onto a win.
  • edited September 2013
    Sordell to put aside his disappointment at been loaned out by Bolton and his subsequent indifferent start to the season, and score the winner. Having experienced Millwall, I suspect he will be up for this one.
  • Time to stand up and be counted. This time, more than any other time.

This time, more than any other time, this time,
    We're going to find a way,
    Find a way to get a win,
    This time, getting it all together

To win against Millwall,
    It's what we'll set out to do
    We have a dream,
    We know you're sharing it too

Find a way to get a win,

We'll get it right
    This time, get it right,
    This time

It makes you wonder,
    It makes you proud
    To play for Charlton,
    And hear the crowd

As we're marching
    On towards victory

This time,
    This time

We're on our way,
    We are Powell's eleven
    Hear the roar,
    Of the red and white

Find a way to get a win,

We'll get it right
    This time, we'll get it right
    [repeat to fade]

• edited September 2013
    Ironically Hendry also has a similar status amongst Spurs fans because he scored a brace in their last ever win at Highbury.

A mate of mine who is a Gooner knows him through his partner and often exchanges banter. He assures me that Hendry was slightly bemused when he told him of his legendary status amongst the Addickted because of his exploits in the South London derby.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would like to ask Chris Powell to contemplate what response he can expect tomorrow if he gives a chance to Joe Pigott or to Marvin Sordell. I am absolutely certain that Joe will play his heart out for the cause. What we have seen of Marvin so far gives me no confidence whatsoever. This thread is about people who suddenly appear, and change a game. Who might it be ? No contest !

• Marvin Sordell would go from zero to hero in one moment,given that their fans hate him with a passion following the allegations of racism he made last season.

I'm told to expect them to heavily abuse him tomorrow so is the stage set for Marvin to step up.
  • Richard, that relies upon Marvin having the right attitude, which there has been no sign of yet.
  • Someones got to step up to the plate for this one...

Feed the pig and he will score, go on Joe , make a name for yourself son.
  • Erm just listened to the video. Chris Powell says at the end of the interview, these games are talked about for years, they are games that go down in folklore, we need to be better, its about our players making themselves heroes.

Hello Chris * waves *.

http://www.player.cafc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3464762/date/20130920110200/page/0/name/DYER-CAM:-Assistant-manager-interviews-Chris-Powell
  • Good article. The only bit I'd disgree with is about Rommedahl, "scoring a last gasp winner at Selhurst for a televised derby overrides all that frustration". It doesn't override the frustration for me - but then, to be fair I wasn't there that night. Maybe that goal counted for more, seen in the flesh.
  • Well said AFKA.
  • Stig said:

Good article. The only bit I'd disgree with is about Rommedahl, "scoring a last gasp winner at Selhurst for a televised derby overrides all that frustration". It doesn't override the frustration for me - but then, to be fair I wasn't there that night. Maybe that goal counted for more, seen in the flesh.

It was one of the great moments for me. I totally agree with AFKA's comment.
  • I doubt there are many articles being written wrote this morning ;-)
  • Well done, give yourself a pat on the back
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Good article. The only bit I'd disgree with is about Rommedahl, "scoring a last gasp winner at Selhurst for a televised derby overrides all that frustration". It doesn't override the frustration for me - but then, to be fair I wasn't there that night. Maybe that goal counted for more, seen in the flesh.

It was magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pin this article to the wall of our dressing room tomorrow Powelly (if you want).

• We all seem to have forgotten Matt Springs winner vs Palace in 2009
  • Kap10 said:

Stig said:

I'm not disputing the magic of the moment, just whether it was really enough to "override all that frustration".
  • And Varney scoring a double at the Valley v Palace.

I still have the t-shirt!

Find a way to get a win,

To win against Millwall,
    It's what we'll set out to do
    We have a dream,
    We know you're sharing it too

Find a way to get a win,

We'll get it right
    This time, get it right,
    This time

It makes you wonder,
    It makes you proud
    To play for Charlton,
    And hear the crowd

As we're marching
    On towards victory

This time,
    This time

We're on our way,
    We are Powell's eleven
    Hear the roar,
    Of the red and white

Find a way to get a win,

We'll get it right
    This time, we'll get it right
    [repeat to fade]

Brilliant!

• A great post AFKA - beautifully written; positive and stirring stuff. I only hope the players' performances tomorrow can match the quality of your prose.
  • Arise sir Yann

3-0 and a hat trick from the barrel chested one
  • Stig said:

Kap10 said:

Stig said:

I'm not disputing the magic of the moment, just whether it was really enough to "override all that frustration".
    Way more than enough for me. He was frustrating but he wasnt a complete let down and that game and that goal is right up there with my all time favourite. Absolute magic I was bouncing for days after.