Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ps3 sound issues

Dont know if any of you can help me or have had a similar experience but basically,my ps3 works fine but has no sound,at first i thought it was the console itself but its the same if i plug in my dads ps3 to my tv therefore im thinking it must be the tv,ive tried two different hdmi leads and it still has no sound.Ive got a samsung tv and i havent changed any settings.any one know if i can do anything to reset the settings or something i can do to get it working again as ive tried everything i can think of.thanks

Comments

• My son suggests that maybe you need 2 cables plugged in ?
  • Shouldnt need 2 cables as HDMI does audio and video.

I know it sounds silly but have you checked that the audio settings are correct on the PS3/reset them.

Also have you tried a different HDMI port on the telly?
  • Have you tried turning the volume up ?
  • Is the lead plugged in to the correct sockets ?
  • edited September 2013
    Check the audio settings on the PS3 menu, make sure it's going through HDMI. If still no good, try something other than the PS3 through the same HDMI cable and port. Sky box, virgin box, bluray player, xbox, etc. See if you get sound through that. If you do rules out any problems with TV & cables and points to an issue with PS3 and/or its settings.

Try doing a hard reset as well, switch off at the back, back on, hold down the power button for three seconds and once it's back on it'll take you through the AV setup.
  • edited September 2013
    ive completely reset my playstation basically reformatted it so ive lost all my data and reset the settings.My dads ps3 has been tried on my tv and that also has no sound,i tried using his hdmi lead and that also gives me no sound,i thought maybe it could be the hdmi port but when i dont have the ps3 hdmi plugged into my tv i have my sky lead in the same slot as my tv has only one hdmi port,therefore im confused as to what it could be,
  • and ive got gta sitting at home waiting to be played! haha
  • Force it to reset its audio config.

PS3 Settings -> Sound Settings -> Audio Output Settings -> HDMI -> Automatic -> X Button

• cheers ill give this a go when i get in though surely the fact ive reset my ps3 completely would do this anyway? or not?
  • Sponsored links:

• and the fact the ive tried two playstations and its done the same thing?
  • Take the sky out of the port and try it on its own, it could be the sky interfering?
  • sorry from where? basically i only have one hdmi slot in my tele therefore when im playing ps3 the hdmi cable from the ps3 goes into my tele,and when im watching tv i have to take that out and plug the black sky lead in the same hdmi slot?
  • cafc4life said:

sorry from where? basically i only have one hdmi slot in my tele therefore when im playing ps3 the hdmi cable from the ps3 goes into my tele,and when im watching tv i have to take that out and plug the black sky lead in the same hdmi slot?

Does the sound work for Sky?
  • Almost certainly the cable mate. I've had it before where I can hear the sound but not actually see the picture because my HDMI was on its last legs. Surely the reverse is possible too?
  • yeah sound for sky is absolutely fine ,ive tried my dads cable on my playstation though and it doesnt work either
  • cafc4life said:

yeah sound for sky is absolutely fine ,ive tried my dads cable on my playstation though and it doesnt work either

Oh really? Sorry pal, it's a mystery!

• tell me about it mate,nightmare,wrong time of the year for it to go aswel lol
  • If the sound works for Sky and you are literally just unplugging that into the PS3, I'd imagine its something with the settings on the PS3.

You tried doing a full system format? Any headsets connected to it? Physically or Bluetooth?
  • If you have a local mate, try the cables at his house.
  • Sponsored links:

• ive completely reset the ps3 lost everything,but it has the same affect on both mine and my dads ps3 so i cant think what it can be.
  • and tried the ps3 downstairs on my dads tv and it works fine with sound,maybe it could be conflict between tv settings and ps3 i dont know
  • Haev you tried pressing control alt delete ?
  • DID YOU GET THIS SORTED MATE ?
  • no mate,have worked out its tv-ps3 settings now as we tried a blueray player using the same hdmi lead and we had no sound but the lead works on another tele.must be a conflict where the tv cant recognise hdmi sound settings on devices,even though it works when i have my sky box plugged in.proper ball ache
  • Try and nick one of the new teles on saturday mate , sorted
  • Do a factory reset on the TV.
  • ive tried resetting my tv,gone through internet forums etc but everyway they suggest ive tried and it doesnt reset