Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Mod Revival - A recent article done by a new blog site

http://nextgeneration3blog.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/the-strypes-and-sisteray-a-mod-evolution-or-revolution/

Thought this may interest some of you. An article about the recent Mod evolution/revolution - any comments would be greatly received.

Comments

• Another Mod revival?

2nd in my lifetime...

nice
  • Loved that era.

There's a great Mod band doing the the rounds called P45. Good evening out if you get a chance to see them.
  • Essex_Al said:

Loved that era.

There's a great Mod band doing the the rounds called P45. Good evening out if you get a chance to see them.

Saw them at the Camber Scooter Rally.
  • "Early guitar based bluegrass like Chuck Berry" - I gave up at that point, clueless twat.
  • fair enough - new some people wouldn't like it - what would you of put then Algarve?
  • edited August 2013
    Bluesgrass is a form a of country music. Often high tempo, played on banjos and fiddles.

If you mean blues music then maybe but Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley were rock and roll musicians from a blues background.

Sisteray sound very punk to my ears rather than "pre-punk" or Mod. A bit like the Arctic Monkeys. Clever name which I hope they took from the Velvets track and not the record shop.

Mod music to me is more about black music, soul or ska, in any case and as much if not more about fashion than music.
  • Henry has more or less answered for me Indie Boy. The whole point of Mod(ernists) was they were just that, up with the latest fashion and trend - so the music they listened to was also constantly changing and evolving and was not the focal point of their existence. The Jam were only considered "Mod" because of the clothes they wore, and they were around a few years before the film Quadrophenia kickstarted the Mod revival in 1980/81. The Strypes are as much rock n roll as anything, but again the image is more mid/late sixties. Chuck Berry is a long way removed from Bluegrass - to my way of thinking rock n roll evolved from two directions - white bluegrass/country music on the one hand and black gospel/blues music on the other, consequently white artists incorporated elements of black music to create rockabilly while black artists incorporated country influences to create R n B. Chuck is very much from the blues side of things originally. Very soon the lines became so blurred the two kinds of music became one.

Of course that is simplifying it and I know I am pigeonholing beyond belief, but it is not easy to sum it up in a paragraph or two.
  • Henry has more or less answered for me Indie Boy. The whole point of Mod(ernists) was they were just that, up with the latest fashion and trend - so the music they listened to was also constantly changing and evolving and was not the focal point of their existence. The Jam were only considered "Mod" because of the clothes they wore, and they were around a few years before the film Quadrophenia kickstarted the Mod revival in 1980/81. The Strypes are as much rock n roll as anything, but again the image is more mid/late sixties. Chuck Berry is a long way removed from Bluegrass - to my way of thinking rock n roll evolved from two directions - white bluegrass/country music on the one hand and black gospel/blues music on the other, consequently white artists incorporated elements of black music to create rockabilly while black artists incorporated country influences to create R n B. Chuck is very much from the blues side of things originally. Very soon the lines became so blurred the two kinds of music became one.

Of course that is simplifying it and I know I am pigeonholing beyond belief, but it is not easy to sum it up in a paragraph or two.

No drums = Country. Drums = Rock and Roll : - )

• I was going to mention something like that Henners (Grand old Opry), but decided to leave it at that for the sake of brevity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting post. I love this stuff and love 60s Mod culture. I started playing in bands when I was 15 and played in them on and off for years. I have proudly hanging on my wall, a Rickenbacker-guitar plus loads of pix of The Jam, Small Faces, The Who etc. I played for a while in a band that did Mod covers and we did plenty of Scooter conventions and were regulars at the annual Small Faces convention. Just yesterday I had The Chords blaring out of my car, great band from Lewisham (Chris Pope went to St Jo's Academy, Blackheath) with my big bro. In short, I love all this stuff but - like others - have watched revivals come and ago every few years. A lot of it is rubbish but the band The Strypes look as close to the real thing as any one else. Of course Mods also love Northern Soul, reggae, Tamla Motown, stax, ska and bluebeat, not to mention a lot of the garage bands that started coming out of the States in the mid 60s.
  • Anyone interested should check out The Get Go* who often play the Pelton and other local gigs.

*not From The Get Go who are not Mod influenced at all as afar as I know
  • Interesting post. I love this stuff and love 60s Mod culture. I started playing in bands when I was 15 and played in them on and off for years. I have proudly hanging on my wall, a Rickenbacker-guitar plus loads of pix of The Jam, Small Faces, The Who etc. I played for a while in a band that did Mod covers and we did plenty of Scooter conventions and were regulars at the annual Small Faces convention. Just yesterday I had The Chords blaring out of my car, great band from Lewisham (Chris Pope went to St Jo's Academy, Blackheath) with my big bro. In short, I love all this stuff but - like others - have watched revivals come and ago every few years. A lot of it is rubbish but the band The Strypes look as close to the real thing as any one else. Of course Mods also love Northern Soul, reggae, Tamla Motown, stax, ska and bluebeat, not to mention a lot of the garage bands that started coming out of the States in the mid 60s.

The Chords were good in the day. I remember seeing them at The Marquee around 1980.

The chords were a great band. I was a mod in the early 80's and there were some good bands about. Secret affair, Purple Hearts etc. 9 below zero are still about and play locally. Well worth going to see.
  • The Merton Parkers
  • The Merton Parkers

Yeah with future Style Council keyboardist Mick Talbot in their ranks. Always thought that number 'You Need Wheels' was pretty rubbish though. I think they might have been spelled The Merton Parkas (geddit) but I may be wrong....

• No, you are right Matt. Denis Greaves and 9 Below Zero were brilliant as Dave M says.
  • No, you are right Matt. Denis Greaves and 9 Below Zero were brilliant as Dave M says.

Yeah, don't like to boast but I played on stage with Denis Greaves at one of the Small Faces conventions. Smashing bloke and a truly great guitar player

• Few big clothes shops cashing in as well!
    Asda now has jam t shirts
    And next have just got Weller t shirts in.
  • Saw a good band a few weeks back, although I mostly listen to R&R & Rockabilly thought they were excellent, The Britpop collective, lot of Jam/Weller influence.
  • Sponsored links:

Seen 9BZ a few times, great band.....love the album live at the marque....."it's like sitting at Tulse Hill".
  • any mod lifers out there?
  • Was a mod in my teenage years. Still heavily influenced by the music (60's & revival). Still have a passion for scooters (my username actually comes from the name my mate gave to my bright orange Lambretta TV200) and last had a scooter 2 years ago until financial reason forced me to sell it.

Not 100% mod band (but certainly influenced) are the Len Price 3 that are going about. Seen them a few times, lastly a month back. Got 3 good albums out (check them out on youtube).
  • Not a mod but still love the music and style.

Yeah, don't like to boast but I played on stage with Denis Greaves at one of the Small Faces conventions. Smashing bloke and a truly great guitar player

And he goes to charlton now and again.
  • Once a mod always a mod and by the way Dennis Greaves is a Spurs fan.
  • Bilko said:

Once a mod always a mod and by the way Dennis Greaves is a Spurs fan.

Still goes to the odd charlton game though.
  • Not a mod but still love the music and style.

Would sum it up for me, wear the old button down collared shirts (some Ben Shirman), like the music and clothes...but certainly wouldn't call myself a mod. Also have watched Quadrophenia on numerous ocassions.
  • Anyone remember the Savoy Rooms, Orchid Purley, Lyceum, Greenwich Town Hall - places to show off our mohair suits and "pull a sort".
  • The Chords were brilliant. I think that their Mod appeal probably held them back, to be honest, because they should have been huge.

There's tonnes of great music associated with the Mod movement, though. Their role in the opening up of black American soul to a wider (i.e not just black) audience was highly significant too. There was a great documentary on BBC4 the other week showing soul bands coming here and being treated like royalty, then returning to relative obscurity back in the states. The Mods had a good taste in music as well as clothes!