Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bigbury-on-sea, and surrounding area.

Planning to take the family along to Bigbury tomorrow for a day at the beach. Anyone on here been and recommend it?

Also, looking for a decent family orientated boozer to go to after for a bit of bait and a couple of pints, so again any recommendations would be gratefully received. We're staying in the area so somewhere within a reasonable drive would be ideal.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Royal oak nice pub there
  • Options
    nolly said:

Royal oak nice pub there

Whereabouts ?
  • Options
    kingsbridge in bigbury, hotel pub do nice grub
  • Options
    Just off the coast at Bigbury is the small Burgh Island. You can walk across at low tide, or travel by elevated tractor at high water. On the island is a hotel and restaurant of great repute: I believe the building is worth seeing alone for its 1930s Art Deco design and fittings. Try Googling 'Burgh Island Hotel' - and have a great day!
  • Options
    nolly said:

kingsbridge in bigbury, hotel pub do nice grub

Just looked it up - looks spot on. And only about a five min drive from where we are. Nice one. Cheers.
  • Options

Just off the coast at Bigbury is the small Burgh Island. You can walk across at low tide, or travel by elevated tractor at high water. On the island is a hotel and restaurant of great repute: I believe the building is worth seeing alone for its 1930s Art Deco design and fittings. Try Googling 'Burgh Island Hotel' - and have a great day!

Cheers. Had a look at that on trip advisor and it seems the pub - the pilchard - may have "gone downhill" somewhat. Wil probably go and have a look though.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Cheers. Had a look at that on trip advisor and it seems the pub - the pilchard - may have "gone downhill" somewhat. Wil probably go and have a look though.
    Is that the island where Agatha Christie lived in a cottage next the hotel? The island and hotel formed the basis for a couple of her books, I believe.
  • Options
    March51 said:

Off_it said:

Is that the island where Agatha Christie lived in a cottage next the hotel? The island and hotel formed the basis for a couple of her books, I believe.
    You've got it. I haven't been to Burgh Island but it sounds like an interesting place.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Totally disagree with those on trip advisor.

We rented of of the houses overlooking Burgh island and the Pichard pub is pretty decent. I would recommend having 1 or two beers there and order a baguette as well.
  • Options
    nolly said:

Royal oak nice pub there

Just been in nolly - not a bad shout that. Little bit on the pricey side and the portions were a bit small (one small scoop of ice cream for the kids?!) but my three pints of Jail Ale slipped down a treat!

Cheers for the recommendation.