Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bigbury-on-sea, and surrounding area.

Planning to take the family along to Bigbury tomorrow for a day at the beach. Anyone on here been and recommend it?

Also, looking for a decent family orientated boozer to go to after for a bit of bait and a couple of pints, so again any recommendations would be gratefully received. We're staying in the area so somewhere within a reasonable drive would be ideal.

Cheers.

Comments

• Royal oak nice pub there
  • nolly said:

Royal oak nice pub there

Whereabouts ?
  • kingsbridge in bigbury, hotel pub do nice grub
  • Just off the coast at Bigbury is the small Burgh Island. You can walk across at low tide, or travel by elevated tractor at high water. On the island is a hotel and restaurant of great repute: I believe the building is worth seeing alone for its 1930s Art Deco design and fittings. Try Googling 'Burgh Island Hotel' - and have a great day!
  • nolly said:

kingsbridge in bigbury, hotel pub do nice grub

Just looked it up - looks spot on. And only about a five min drive from where we are. Nice one. Cheers.
  • Just off the coast at Bigbury is the small Burgh Island. You can walk across at low tide, or travel by elevated tractor at high water. On the island is a hotel and restaurant of great repute: I believe the building is worth seeing alone for its 1930s Art Deco design and fittings. Try Googling 'Burgh Island Hotel' - and have a great day!

Cheers. Had a look at that on trip advisor and it seems the pub - the pilchard - may have "gone downhill" somewhat. Wil probably go and have a look though.
  • Off_it said:

Just off the coast at Bigbury is the small Burgh Island. You can walk across at low tide, or travel by elevated tractor at high water. On the island is a hotel and restaurant of great repute: I believe the building is worth seeing alone for its 1930s Art Deco design and fittings. Try Googling 'Burgh Island Hotel' - and have a great day!

Cheers. Had a look at that on trip advisor and it seems the pub - the pilchard - may have "gone downhill" somewhat. Wil probably go and have a look though.
    Is that the island where Agatha Christie lived in a cottage next the hotel? The island and hotel formed the basis for a couple of her books, I believe.
  • March51 said:

Off_it said:

Just off the coast at Bigbury is the small Burgh Island. You can walk across at low tide, or travel by elevated tractor at high water. On the island is a hotel and restaurant of great repute: I believe the building is worth seeing alone for its 1930s Art Deco design and fittings. Try Googling 'Burgh Island Hotel' - and have a great day!

Is that the island where Agatha Christie lived in a cottage next the hotel? The island and hotel formed the basis for a couple of her books, I believe.
    You've got it. I haven't been to Burgh Island but it sounds like an interesting place.

• Off_it said:

Totally disagree with those on trip advisor.

We rented of of the houses overlooking Burgh island and the Pichard pub is pretty decent. I would recommend having 1 or two beers there and order a baguette as well.
  • nolly said:

Royal oak nice pub there

Just been in nolly - not a bad shout that. Little bit on the pricey side and the portions were a bit small (one small scoop of ice cream for the kids?!) but my three pints of Jail Ale slipped down a treat!

Cheers for the recommendation.