Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

6 Music's resident Addick, Jon Hillcock, with a 'name that Charlton' quiz on his show tonight

The wonderful Mr Hillcock's show has just started and he has announced this competition as a result of his support for us!

He plays some great tunes, btw - so tune in and show your support!

Comments

• After Dave Berrys effort the other day it's going to take more than a quiz to be the most popular Charlton supporting DJ!
  • se9addick said:

After Dave Berrys effort the other day it's going to take more than a quiz to be the most popular Charlton supporting DJ!

Berry brought filthy sex to the table, fair play. But many of us on here would be forced to favour Jonny H.

That right sausage??? :-)

• Nah mickey mouse dj. Heard he doesn't like the twang

From good stock though
  • Fit bird in sweaty Charlton shirt or Peel Session from 1982 by Two Dogs F***king...... the choice is yours.
  • What the fcuk is 6 music ?
  • Radio 6 mate, twist the knob on the wireless double hard once past radio 4

It's a bit like XFM was before being taken over by Capital and seems to mostly play music that isn't or wasn't in the hit parade.
  • and the reason I bought a DAB radio

The DJ is brother of my 'sister' Suzi!

• Sponsored links:

• and the reason I bought a DAB radio

Me too. I don't know why anyone would listen to any other music station.

Good show, Mr H, btw....
  • Were there any Charlton related references? I listened to a bit of Comet Gain and turned in.
  • I don't understand any of this. Whatever happened to Lonnie Donegan and his skiffle combo?
  • I don't understand any of this. Whatever happened to Lonnie Donegan and his skiffle combo?

He went in the transfer window and his skiffle combo was never used after the introduction of the back pass rule.
  • edited August 2013
    Haha, didn't see this last night when i tuned in for the last hour. He is covering this week for Gideon Coe who is usually in from 9-12pm. Apparently Gideon Coe does a quiz thing top 5. Last night he did a 'Guess the Charlton'. I think he's on again next week at some point. will find out.

Was a bit of fun, and I only managed to guess the last 'Charlton' straight away!!
  • Here's the link for anyone who wants to catch up on yesterday's show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b038btjh
  • I'm sure on the Mark Mansfield Sunday night RTM / Millenium show they went through a spell when in the first half hour they would cover 'over local clubs'.

I'm sure Gideon Coe used to cover Millwall (Mick McSpanner era).

Anyone else remember that ? @Suthers ?
  • Greg Whelan was Millwall, Gideon Coe may have been Orient
  • you might be right actually
  • Gideon Coe was Gillingham often used to call from a ice rink. Its a great show on 6 by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2013

Greg Whelan was Millwall, Gideon Coe may have been Orient

I think Gideon Coe covered a few actually but it was a long time ago.

I never understood why Millwall had a regular longish spot on that show. I always used that spot to get a cuppa or have a shit.

• Gideon Coe is orginally from the Canterbury area, I believe, but has lived in north London for a long time and follows Spurs as a result. His show is a gem - one of my very favourite 6 Music DJ's, and there's some stiff competition!
  • iainment said:

I never understood why Millwall had a regular longish spot on that show. I always used that spot to get a cuppa or have a shit.

I think you are right iainment. I think Gideon Coe was the guy who used to do the quite funny round up from the rest of the 92 teams not based in the RTM area?

• DanDavis said:

iainment said:

I think you are right iainment. I think Gideon Coe was the guy who used to do the quite funny round up from the rest of the 92 teams not based in the RTM area?

Yes, his banter was good.
  • He's on covering Shaun Keaveney's breakfast show on bbc 6 music now until 10.....
  • Photographed Gideon and his production staff at the old Broadcasting centre in 2010.

He used to have a friday night radio programme, and was playing old archive material from the vast bbc archive. He ran into all sorts of issues with artist's agents and record companies with playing these.
    They were going to 'clean up the tapes' mainly live recordings of John Peel shows, and one such artist was Nick Drake. The Nick Drake estate got involved and the programme did not go ahead. Ironically the tape was circulating to certain fan's, but was a poor quality recording. I guess money was behind all of this, and 'control'. I would tend to think that Nick himself would have loved his music to be circulated, especially in an enhanced format, but it did not happen. The estate had there reason's but I could not reconcile the stance they took. Anyway the guy in the photo at the back is Viv Stanshall's son from 'Bonzo' .
  • Did you work at the BBC then Ken?

; )
  • What's happened to Keaveny @suzisausage, couldn't be bothered or illness?

Like JH on there, as much as I like SK, it's refreshing.
  • I'm sure on the Mark Mansfield Sunday night RTM / Millenium show they went through a spell when in the first half hour they would cover 'over local clubs'.

I'm sure Gideon Coe used to cover Millwall (Mick McSpanner era).

Anyone else remember that ? @Suthers ?

I'm afraid all that was 'after my time'. On Charlton Chat I had to make do with Clive Richardson's 'Soul Classics'!
  • What's happened to Keaveny @suzisausage, couldn't be bothered or illness?

Like JH on there, as much as I like SK, it's refreshing.

Family bereavement apparently. Back tomorrow.

Jon said yesterday he's enjoyed it and feedback has been positive so far. He said he wasn't going to try to be funny. Which is good. As he's not.

I couldn't listen today as at work from 7.30am but going to listen on demand in a bit to see if he read out my suggestions!