Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The foreign invasion.

It may not be news, but already it seems certain that one of Man Utd. Man City, or Chelsea will win the Premiership this season. Looking at the Owners, Managers, and players of whom according to the BBC 67% are now foreigners, only Moyes remains, possibly until the Scots vote for independence (please God). Most of us addicks would like to join the Premiership again, but what do we get. A big wedge of money with a massive wage bill, the Valley full for a while with the joyous sound of foreigners in the loo, and a goalkeeper with back ache from picking ther ball out of the net. Certainly increased ticket prices which would never quite lower to todays prices if we dropped out, and the sight of all our heroes going rapidly through the back door with our money.

By contrast why don't we plan to concentrate upon building the Academy, we already have excellent management there and some very promising youngsters coming through. We would need to persuade our beloved manager to change a few things, for instance his caution about playing young men, by the way when we do see Joe Pigott on that pitch I think you will see something special. CP would also need to change his style which seems to me to be glass half empty, and look to emulate the Busby Babes with exciting attacking football, that excites the supporters and brings them back for more. If I had to SELL Charlton Athletic at the moment to potential new supporters, what on earth could I say ? On the other hand I could very easily SELL a Club with a team that so obviously is out to win games and entertain. What do think ?

Comments

• So your suggestion is to play attractive, attacking football with a team packed full of homegrown youngsters ?
  • Well we'll have it for the next 9 months anyway.
  • Would love to see lots of academy products in the first team but Chris Powell has to pick what he thinks is his best team, not be restricted by where the players came from or where they were developed.

Some of our best players were foriegn. Firmani, Leary, Jeppson, Di Canio, Costa, Kish, JJ, Barlett, Fish, Llera.

Once they pull on the Red shirt it doesn't matter to me what country they come from.
  • Would love to see lots of academy products in the first team but Chris Powell has to pick what he thinks is his best team, not be restricted by where the players came from or where they were developed.

Some of our best players were foriegn. Firmani, Leary, Jeppson, Di Canio, Costa, Kish, JJ, Barlett, Fish, Llera.

Once they pull on the Red shirt it doesn't matter to me what country they come from.

Even Wales ? ;0)

• I liked Graham Moore.

And John Robinson was a welsh african as well
  • Yep. Graham Moore, Robbo, Cyril Davies, Wiggins, Andy Jones. Once they cross Offa's Dyke and pull on the Red Shirt it's my 100% support.

Kish? Half right, he is foreign.
  • iainment said:

Would love to see lots of academy products in the first team but Chris Powell has to pick what he thinks is his best team, not be restricted by where the players came from or where they were developed.

Kish? Half right, he is foreign.
    humour not one of your strong points : - )

Llera was the joke. Kish has 88 caps and played nearly 200 games over 7 seasons all at the top level for us. Class player but not everyone understood his contribution. Curbs did.
  • If we played a team completely full of academy players we'd get relegated easily.

Let Powell make judgement on his players, he's the one watching training.

There's a reason foreign players get played over English players in the Prem, they're simply better players.
  • Two things chaps. I was not suggesting an immediate move to a team full of youngsters, but a gradual move to Academy graduates mainly. Also to be honest I was not referring to us rejecting foreigners, there is no reason why we cannot have them in the Academy, the Country is gradually filling up with them ! I want us to promote excitement on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• The point Grandpa makes in his first para is sadly all too true.

Henry, you don't need to explain your jokes. We know you really meant Bagheri, the Iranian Zidane.

• Two things chaps. I was not suggesting an immediate move to a team full of youngsters, but a gradual move to Academy graduates mainly.

That appears to be happening - we have a generation of good academy players coming through who'll either be forming half the team in a season or two, or will be sold on to pay a few bills. The trick though is to marry experience with youth and introduce these younger players in gradually, too much too soon and some may lose confidence or be overawed by the whole thing. There's no rush.

• Kishishev was a fantastic premiership quality water carrier as they say. Would like to have a player like him in our team right now.
  • This is exactly what Les Reed was talking about in the latest VOTV. Makes sense to me
  • Can you build a team through academy players? Unless you invest in a top tier academy then the set up will suffer regular knock backs as the Premiership teams come along and take your best youth players for a token financial return.
  • I am suggesting that we do invest to become a top tier Academy, but you are right, I was annoyed by the loss of Semi Ajayi who I considered to be a real prospect.
  • Rob said:

This is exactly what Les Reed was talking about in the latest VOTV. Makes sense to me

It was a really interesting view on academies especially about NOT loaning out youngsters to other clubs but Reed didn't say never have foreign players or aim to have all 11 players as academy products.

What Southampton have done well in integrate a lot of academy players alongside players purchased from other clubs but they have long had a very good academy. Walcot, Oxlade-Chamberlin and that bloke at Spurs plus all the players in their current side.
  • johnny73 said:

Premiership teams come along and take your best youth players for a token financial return.

This new EPPP regulations is only going to increase that sadly.

Wouldn't be such an issue if they got games but it doesn't seem likely with a lot of Premier league clubs who have to met demands for instant results/success so generally have no interested in developing a side although as Henry says Southampton are doing a decent job of mixing both.

• Talking about Southampton, I notice that their full backs for their first game were both 18. It's nice to know that there are still people around who think that good enough is old enough.
  • The other factor about getting a top tier academy is that it would require a huge level of financial investment from the owners (perhaps putting the whole future of the club at risk). Not something it seems we are likely to see.