Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Oxford Utd - Match Thread

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
Scene 1: Preview Towers

The Gaffer: "Right you miserable lot, preview allocations, Stubbers, you're on Saturdays until WSS gets over missing out on the Dr Who role. Irving, you can do the Capital One Cup."

Irving "The Capital One Cup, what's that when it's at home?.

The Gafffer: "It's the League Cup you stupid old duffer, keep up for fecks sake."

Irving: "The League Cup! thanks for nothing. How come Stubbers gets all the cushy numbers and I get the dross. Can't you ask Jashea99 to write some previews, he reckons he can even proofread his own copy"

The Gaffer: "You'll do what you're bloody told. If you get it right I might let you back on auctions but as Shirty5 is doing such a good job don't count on it"

The Introduction

It's the League Cup, it's a team from two divisions below and it's August. So we all know what happens, don't we?

Only Chris Powell is more than aware that a cup run of any sort is long overdue. Bradford's run to the final shows what is possible and the extra income may come in very handy.

The Opposition

The former Headington Utd once won the league/milk/beer/coke/whatever it was cup but then again they were once a top flight side. A lot of water has flown under the Bridge of Sighs since then though. After four years out of the football league they had first joined in 1962 The Us returned to League 2 in 2010 where they remain.

Both managers will be former Charlton full backs as United are managed by a former Addick Chris Wilder who made three unremarkable appearances just before the return to the Valley.

United were convincing winners at Fratton Park on Saturday which may convince Wilder to stick with a similar line up. Smalley and Potter both hit a brace in a 4 - 1 win. They will certainly be full of confidence although they are unlikely to have the backing of 2500 travelling fans as they did at Pompey

The Line Up.

This is really finger in the air stuff with the only certainty being that the suspended Bradley Pritchard won't play.

Chris Powell has a number of factors to consider as he picks his starting XI

1. Does he want to give his first team more time to "gel". Yann and Marvin could benefit from more time together.

2. Can he risk any injuries to what is a smaller first team squad than last year?

3. A strong side and a win would lift confidence and could be that start of a profitable cup run.

4. The likes of Wood, Cort and Church will be looking to start games and there are also a cluster of young academy products such as Cousins and Pigott who SCP will want to have a look at.

So with all that in mind expect to see a starting line up of

Pope

Wilson Cort Wood, Evina

Green Stephens Gower Harriot

Kermorgant Sordell

The Prediction

Major cup shock. Charlton win 3 - 1

Comments

• Not even a sticky,

You're well down the pecking order, Sir Henry.

• Welcome back (Sir) Henry.

CAFC 2-2 OUFC

(OUFC win 5-4 on pens).
  • You've seen our Cup matches before, haven't you Moggy?

• After their great combination at Welling which produced 4 goals in the first half, my vote goes to Kermogant and Piggot.
  • Oggy Red said:

Not even a sticky,

You're well down the pecking order, Sir Henry.

When you get in AFKA's bad books it's hard to get out again.

Better not say too much in case he bans me again.
  • Oxford to win 1-2, SCP explains afterwards it was a good experience for the "kids" against a strong Oxford side who we knew would not be a push over.
  • After Saturdays performance , Oxford are going to be well 'up for it' hope a few Charlton fans turn out for this , can sometimes have the feel of a reserve game.
  • I really hope that CP picks a team to win and a team that he would play in the Championship, he needs to risk Sordell and Kermogant and set a midfield that could play on Saturday, I am all for playing the yoof, but on this occasion there are mor important things to do.
  • edited August 2013

The Gafffer: "It's the League Cup you stupid old duffer"

Looks like there's an issue with your hearing as well....

Current arguments on who will be representing the AFKA household at this one ("you go", "no, you go").

Wouldn't mind seeing that team, though i would drop Kermorgant for Church
  • The balance of our central midfield partnerships is worrying me.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 loss, a slow and painful death. I think I'm elsewhere and haven't done anything to amend that.

More importantly, can anyone briefly explain what happened when we clashed with the Yardies in Oxford in the 80s?
  • Tbh I don't think anyone knows who plays best together in midfield. Apart from Jacko it's anyones guess who partners him each game. I'd give Cousins a go seeing as he looked good pre season.
  • Can't see Kermorgant starting but must surely be on the bench.
  • edited August 2013
    What will our excuse be when we lose. Are we concentrating on the league to stay up or go up.

Team

Hamer
    Solly
    Evina
    Cort
    Wood
    Green
    Harriott
    Stephens
    Hughes
    Church
    Sordell

Actually if the team is anything like that think we will win

3-0 to the Addicks, actually no I'll be sensible 1-3 to Oxford
  • not optimistic about this as it's a cup match ... 2-3 Oxford win
  • 2-2 (Addicks win on pena's 5-4)

Team as per another thread i would like to see,:

The Pope

Wilson, Cort, Wood, Evina
    Green, Cousins, Stephens, Cook
    Piggott, Church/Sordell

• This will be my first League cup game since we beat QPR 3-0 over two legs (1998-1999), as I cannot go to the game on Saturday, I am missing my football fix. by the way the OPR game was my first game I had seen at the Valley since the final game of the 1957/58 season (lost to Blackburn 3-4). I am going for a 3-0 win to CP's Red & White Army.
  • Haha nice preview Henners!

I'm popping along to this game tomorrow..hope to see a similar side to the one Henners has suggested, although I do expect to see Hamer in goal still.
  • Hamer

Solly
    Wood
    Cort
    Evina

Wilson
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Gower
    Cook

Sordell

2-1 Oxford
  • I would like to see minimal changes - we need to try and gel and get some rhythm together. Dont buy this rest nonsense. It is only the second game of the season, they should all be more than capable of 90 mins.

Hamer

Solly
    Evina
    Morro
    Dervite

Wilson
    Stephens
    Gower
    Harriot

Kermo
    Sordell
  • Sponsored links:

• Weakened team and I reckon we'll lose after extra time

Not sure whether to go to this, I've seen some shockers over the years in the Carling Cup, last year vs Orient was horrible.
  • Its hilarious how many people are going with oxford.

Why? Have you attended many of our cup games?
  • be confident you miserable bastards.4-1 addicks and everyone is happy again.wood,hollands greenx2
  • 3-0 home win.

Why? Have you attended many of our cup games?
    Yep. Including wins in the last three seasons against Barnet, luton, reading, halifax and carlise.
  • A very open and entertaining game, 0-0 Oxford win 3-1 on penalties

Pope
    Wilson, Cort, Wood, Evina
    Green, Hollands, Stephens, Cook
    Church, Pigott
  • easy win for Oxford.
  • I would like to see minimal changes - we need to try and gel and get some rhythm together. Dont buy this rest nonsense. It is only the second game of the season, they should all be more than capable of 90 mins.

Hamer

Solly
    Evina
    Morro
    Dervite

Wilson
    Stephens
    Gower
    Harriot

Kermo
    Sordell

Damo echoes my earlier post on another thread regarding keeping most of those that played at Bournemouth in the starting line up. No point IMHO in bringing in Cook , for instance if he isn't likely to feature on Saturday.

However, I might suggest Cort starts and would like to see Cousins, Piggot and Hollands on the bench.

Another opportunity for the lads to gel.....

Hamer

Solly
    Evina
    Morro
    Dervite

Wilson
    Stephens
    Gower
    Harriot

Kermo
    Sordell

Damo echoes my earlier post on another thread regarding keeping most of those that played at Bournemouth in the starting line up. No point IMHO in bringing in Cook , for instance if he isn't likely to feature on Saturday.

However, I might suggest Cort starts and would like to see Cousins, Piggot and Hollands on the bench.

Another opportunity for the lads to gel.....

Powell will be worried that certain players will burn out later in the year....Kermorgant being the most obvious worry because he's so vital to the team. He will also be worried that Sordell might not be totally fit and could get injured. Plus, there must be a concern that Harriott could suffer later in the season because he seems to be the only viable choice on the left. The game is an ideal opportunity for Pope to get some experience because he's bound to be needed at some point in the league. So, we can still field a very decent team with....

Pope

Wilson
    Cort
    Wood
    Evina

Green
    Hollands
    Gower
    Stephens
    Cook

Church

With lots of good players on the bench; Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Poyet, Piggott, Sordell/Kermorgant.

That midfield should be able to gain enough control and keep enough supply going through to Cook, Green and the full-backs.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!