Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BT Infinity - Wifi Speed from the BT Home Hub 3 Router

edited August 2013 in Troubleshooting
Anyone here had BT superfast broadband installed? I had it installed a couple of weeks ago and whilst the download and upload speeds on the pc with the wired connection is lightning fast the speed over the wifi (with iPads and smartphones) is, if anything, slower and the connection itself less stable. I know wifi speed is not going to be the same as a wired connection but I don't think a 90% drop in speed is acceptable. Called the help desk but they were hopeless. Looked at various forums and a lot of people saying it is the HH3 router that BT supply that is just a pile of crap and that you need to buy a Netgear router to get the benefits of the high speed internet over wifi.

Before I do invest in a new router just thought I would ask if anyone else is having this problem.

Comments

• I've got the Hub4 router and the speeds are fine on my iPad
  • My freeview signal is weak. Since the BT vision upgrade I get severe pixallation on all but bbc channels. Not related I know but again any assistance welcomed. I want bt sport.
  • edited August 2013

I've got the Hub4 router and the speeds are fine on my iPad

Would be interested to know what download and upload speeds you get on your ipad (when in the same room as the router) compared to the speeds you get on the pc with the wired connection.

broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

I know it varies all the time depending how many people in your road are downloading at the same time but I just did another test and I get 127.61 mb/s download and 10.67 mb/s on the upload on the pc and 12.92 and 55.82 on the ipad. Which doesn't make sense since I thought the download should always be higher speed than the upload.
  • edited August 2013
    As most modern Broadband routers should have WiFi speeds in excess of 100m it should be that anything up to this speed should be achievable over WiFi. Obviously there will be a reduction if more than one devce is connected to the router at any one time - especially if you have something streaming media from a NAS, i.e. HD content to a PS3.

However, I'm led to believe that most of this super fast broadband is less than 80m, so there is no good reason as to why a modern device (iPad, iPhone or new-ish Laptop) shouldn't achieve most if not all of that 80m.

kafka, there may be some related issues. Sometimes wireless signals interfere with freeview. I, for example, lose the picture if my mobile phone rings and I'm close to the TV freeview is being watched on. There are different channels that the WiFi can use. I have found that changing one of these can make other devices work better. For example I have wireless security cameras that will not work if I use certain channels on the router.

You might have to contact BT if you are using their router as I think they lock down access to the settings.
  • I have exactly The same issue with my homehub3. I found it gets better if you take the router off auto channel setting, but it is still not super stable. I am trying to get by to give me the new homehub4 to see if that improves things. if they won't I will buy a new one myself.
  • Get between 60 and 80mb on wifi using Hub3. Never used the wired connection so don't know how much better or worse that is.
  • kigelia said:

I have exactly The same issue with my homehub3. I found it gets better if you take the router off auto channel setting, but it is still not super stable. I am trying to get by to give me the new homehub4 to see if that improves things. if they won't I will buy a new one myself.

Yes I have tried that. Another problem is that Kindles don't connct at all on certain channels.

• Get between 60 and 80mb on wifi using Hub3. Never used the wired connection so don't know how much better or worse that is.

Was that the Download speed?

• Worth calling the Technical Helpdesk again and checking you have the right WiFi settings. There should be nothing wrong with you Home Hub 3 router. BT don't provide a crap one so you have to buy Netgear.
  • In the same position mate. In fact, my wifi often has no signal whatsoever on my iPhone and when it does it loads probably about a quarter of the speed of my broadband connection.
  • Sponsored links:

• bit worky isn't it? You're supposed to be on holibubs!
  • Check with BT before going out to buy a Netgear router. I had a Belkin router I used with my Talktalk contract and Talktalk refused to support it as it wasn't on their list of supported products. (They did send me a freebie one though!)
    I'd guess BT might have similar restrictions?
  • bit worky isn't it? You're supposed to be on holibubs!

But I've got WiFi here and there's only so long you can sit by the pool.

• You could give the Citroen a polish?
  • You could give the Citroen a polish?

I'm not cleaning a hire car.
  • Wifi speed will be effected badly by noise (other signals in the area).
    Your router can transmit on a set of channels..............will have a default setting.
    Login to the router and change the channel.
    If you don't know how, call bt and they will talk you through it.
  • Just jumping back on this thread as i appear to have solved my issue. The hh3 settings defaul to 802.11b/g/n settings. Changing it to just b/g has stopped the drop outs.