Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gareth Bale

Comments

• Nug said:

Ross said:

EA Sports will be buggered if he does go. All of those FIFA 14 sleeves printed with him on the cover in a Spurs shirt.

Simple solution

Love it!
  • who would be first choice CB's JohnBoy?

Kaboul, Dawson Vertonghen or Caulker?
  • edited July 2013
    Kaboul and Vertonghen. As much as I love Dawson's attitude, he wont be first choice this season. Kaboul has got everything: electric pace, built like a tank, two good feet and rarely gets beaten in the air. The one thing Dawson hasnt got is pace. Walker at RB but LB seems to be up for grabs at the moment. AVB has hardly played Disco Benny since he came back from injury. Danny Rose is back in the squad and makes you wonder whether another LB is incoming (Coentrao maybe?)

(and Kaboul is only £5m on the Fantasy Football too ;)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Ross said:

EA Sports will be buggered if he does go. All of those FIFA 14 sleeves printed with him on the cover in a Spurs shirt.

And BT Sport. Not going to be shown much on there if he's in la liga.
    Might just upset HPs advertising campaign in New York too...

Like the Yanks know who the soccer player is.

• This needs to get sorted one way or the other ASAP!

He's is my PL fantasy football team and its unsettling the squad.

Brilliant!
  • Bale is just never going to be on Ronaldo's level. Not a chance.
  • Nug said:

Saw this on twitter yesterday

@Sportsvibe
    Interesting Gareth Bale stat: In the last 3 seasons Spurs have won exactly 50% of their PL games with him starting and 50% without him #THFC

Depends on the quality of the opposition in the games he's started and games he's missed. Without context no firm conclusion can be drawn from that statistic.
  • dabos said:

Nug said:

Saw this on twitter yesterday

@Sportsvibe
    Interesting Gareth Bale stat: In the last 3 seasons Spurs have won exactly 50% of their PL games with him starting and 50% without him #THFC

Depends on the quality of the opposition in the games he's started and games he's missed. Without context no firm conclusion can be drawn from that statistic.
    Apologies

• edited July 2013
    JohnBoyUK said:

Exactly, if we buy Soldado (I say if, it sound as though its all done bar dotting the i's and crossing the t's) and then swap Bale for two attacking players like Benzema and Di Maria, thats potentially a championship winning squad right there. With Sandro and Kaboul coming back into the squad after injury, we'll finally be able to play our first choice CB pairing and the Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho midfield trio is just a mouthwatering prospect.

Benzema and Di Maria won't join you though as you aren't in the Champions League, as will any combination of Bale calibre players. Bale is the only chance you have this season of getting into the Champions League and you won't get 4th without him. Sandro being fit for the whole season probably would have got you those extra points to beat Arsenal and Soldado added definitely will.

Whether he had spells of being anonymous or not, he scores a ridiculous amount of goals that you just can't replace and that is why Real want him, the last 2 games of last season showed that when your whole attack was pass to Bale and hopefully he will do something (and he did)

Is Bale's market value 80m? Probably not but if he is worth that to Spurs then what does it matter?

Edit: Completely forgot that Spurs have bought Paulinho already as well, Arsenal pissing about as normal and all the new managers in the top sides Spurs could do even more than take the last Champs League spot with Bale.
  • £80 million for a player who plays for the 5th best club in England and has only one season's worth of Champions League experience? Never heard so much tosh in all my life.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope he goes, not nearly enough British players try and better themselves by playing in a another European league.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Levy is mad for turning down £80m.

Bale wasnt good enough alone to get them into the CL last season, so he wont be this season.

Sell and go get a £30m/£40m striker and another CB. Over the course of a season, its your squad that gets you a top 4 finish, not one individual.

Exactly, if we buy Soldado (I say if, it sound as though its all done bar dotting the i's and crossing the t's) and then swap Bale for two attacking players like Benzema and Di Maria, thats potentially a championship winning squad right there. With Sandro and Kaboul coming back into the squad after injury, we'll finally be able to play our first choice CB pairing and the Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho midfield trio is just a mouthwatering prospect.

In my eyes, selling Bale really shouldnt be seen as a negative. There's many positives to draw from it and could work massively to our advantage.

I agree, and probably even a top 6 team in the Premier League
  • edited July 2013
    He looks like a monkey. Peter Reid and Martin Keown's love child.
  • MrOneLung said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Levy is mad for turning down £80m.

Bale wasnt good enough alone to get them into the CL last season, so he wont be this season.

Sell and go get a £30m/£40m striker and another CB. Over the course of a season, its your squad that gets you a top 4 finish, not one individual.

In my eyes, selling Bale really shouldnt be seen as a negative. There's many positives to draw from it and could work massively to our advantage.

I agree, and probably even a top 6 team in the Premier League
    Quality.
  • my brother and a load of friends of his and mine are spurs fans. when he got injured last season they used to ring each other to see if anyone has heard any news on his recovery. It wouldn't of surprised me if they sent flowers or grapes/bananas to him during his injury. So you can imagine what they been like during this transfer window. I know exactly what will happen when he goes, they will just ignore him for the rest of his career stating that he lost it after leaving spurs, no matter how good he might become. "judas c*nt, wasn't all that anyway"
  • They fell apart when Carrick left. Fully expect them to do the same when Bale goes and if they don't replace him. Heard Modric might go the other way if Utd don't go for him. That would be a great deal for Spurs.
  • Yeah, we're a pretty fickle bunch.

Tbh, it's a bit different this time compared to Carrick, Berbatov and Modric as he hasn't handed in a transfer request...yet!

I don't blame him wanting to go at all. Good luck to him!

(Apparently the offer is £90m and the LB beginning with C who I can't spell or pronounce!!!)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Yeah, we're a pretty fickle bunch.

Tbh, it's a bit different this time compared to Carrick, Berbatov and Modric as he hasn't handed in a transfer request...yet!

I don't blame him wanting to go at all. Good luck to him!

(Apparently the offer is £90m and the LB beginning with C who I can't spell or pronounce!!!)

In all honesty pal seeing as its such a publicised topic you're going to hear lots of different offers from many different 'sources'. If I was levy I'd take the 90m on it own, with coentrao a bonus as that afro geezer has been nothing but shite IMO.
  • I get the impression Bale hasn't got much of a say in matters, his agent/Marca/RM representatives like Zidane etc have set a tide in motion and he's just getting swept away with it.

You can tell Bale hasn't said he wants to join Madrid because all their spokespeople and media outlets are trotting out the 'this opportunity may never come round again' as if to force him to ask for a move. If Madrid knew he'd asked to go, they wouldn't need to do this.

I still can't see him and Ronaldo fitting in well together. Bale certainly wont be taking free kicks and dictating matters at Madrid, Ronaldo's ego wouldn't let that happen.
  • I get the impression Bale hasn't got much of a say in matters, his agent/Marca/RM representatives like Zidane etc have set a tide in motion and he's just getting swept away with it.

You can tell Bale hasn't said he wants to join Madrid because all their spokespeople and media outlets are trotting out the 'this opportunity may never come round again' as if to force him to ask for a move. If Madrid knew he'd asked to go, they wouldn't need to do this.

I still can't see him and Ronaldo fitting in well together. Bale certainly wont be taking free kicks and dictating matters at Madrid, Ronaldo's ego wouldn't let that happen.

I agree with everything apart from the last paragraph. For all Ronaldo's annoying traits he has always been very good on the pitch. If a free kick favours a left foot i think Ronaldo would hand it to him. Generally i have only heard players say good things about him and his influence on the team. If the two can be structured some how they will be devastating.
  • Sponsored links:

• The way Real are acting over this really highlights why they're so hated by non-Real fans. Marca is pretty much their equivalent of the Russian communist party's TAS - a mouthpiece to use without saying anything official.

Everyone knows that tapping up of players goes on the world over, but it seems that its only that mob who seem to think they can do it with near-impunity.

They're an absolute disgrace - Ferguson was right when he laid into them all those years ago.
  • Why blame the media? Tottenham were never going to be able to keep Bale after they didn't make it in the Champions League after the year he's just had.

If anything, the British media is just as bad as Marca.
  • You're missing the point. The British media is bad, yes - but none of the British press actually act as a specific club's fanzine.
  • You're missing the point. The British media is bad, yes - but none of the British press actually act as a specific club's fanzine.

This
  • How on earth can anybody turn down 80-90 million for a player, unless it is one of the greatest players of all time (which he isn't).

Lets say Levy blocks the move. What does he plan? Just having Bale run a contract down for years to come? He is going to go eventually - to not budge for that sort of money is downright ridiculous.

Take the money, and give AVB a warchest to bring in a number of players that would take Spurs way beyond a level they are now just with Bale in the side.
  • cafctom said:

How on earth can anybody turn down 80-90 million for a player, unless it is one of the greatest players of all time (which he isn't).

Lets say Levy blocks the move. What does he plan? Just having Bale run a contract down for years to come? He is going to go eventually - to not budge for that sort of money is downright ridiculous.

Take the money, and give AVB a warchest to bring in a number of players that would take Spurs way beyond a level they are now just with Bale in the side.

Thats exactly how I see it.
    Bale has got 3 years left on his contract. He isnt going to sign another one unless (a) its a substantial payrise to stay for one more season with the proviso (b) it guarantees his departure for a set fee at the end of the season...which Spurs & Madrid would probably negotiate based on their current collaboration agreement which exists.

If Levy blocks it full stop, he runs the danger of him leaving on a free, just like Campbell did years ago. So its pretty clear he'll go either now or the end of the season. Simple as aythat.

In all honesty pal seeing as its such a publicised topic you're going to hear lots of different offers from many different 'sources'. If I was levy I'd take the 90m on it own, with coentrao a bonus as that afro geezer has been nothing but shite IMO.

Without disclosing full details, the "source" is two long-standing personal friends inside Spurs. So fairly trustworthy and accurate. Levy dismissed any deal with Modric returning to Spurs out of hand. Interesting you mention BAE, the Afro Geezer. He was first choice under Harry but AVB just doesnt fancy him. I'm presuming Danny Rose is going to start first choice unless someone else comes in.

I'm happy if he stays, I'm happy if he goes for £80-90m. Makes you wonder whether Madrid are getting all the money from given that the Spanish economy is on its knees.
  • He's not worth £80-90m, i'd bite their hand off for that amount.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

cafctom said:

How on earth can anybody turn down 80-90 million for a player, unless it is one of the greatest players of all time (which he isn't).

Thats exactly how I see it.
    Bale has got 3 years left on his contract. He isnt going to sign another one unless (a) its a substantial payrise to stay for one more season with the proviso (b) it guarantees his departure for a set fee at the end of the season...which Spurs & Madrid would probably negotiate based on their current collaboration agreement which exists.

If Levy blocks it full stop, he runs the danger of him leaving on a free, just like Campbell did years ago. So its pretty clear he'll go either now or the end of the season. Simple as aythat.

Without disclosing full details, the "source" is two long-standing personal friends inside Spurs. So fairly trustworthy and accurate. Levy dismissed any deal with Modric returning to Spurs out of hand. Interesting you mention BAE, the Afro Geezer. He was first choice under Harry but AVB just doesnt fancy him. I'm presuming Danny Rose is going to start first choice unless someone else comes in.

I'm happy if he stays, I'm happy if he goes for £80-90m. Makes you wonder whether Madrid are getting all the money from given that the Spanish economy is on its knees.
    The Spanish taxpayers, as always. Although in this case, it's actually the German taxpayers lol

• Football really has gone mad. Spain has got something like 60% unemployment yet one of their clubs is about to spunk £80-90m on a single footballer.
  • edited July 2013
    I can't see Madrid splashing 80 million plus upfront , will probably be in instalments, apparently there still paying the modric fee.

I really enjoyed watching Bale last season in a lot of Spurs matches on tv , he certainly lit up an otherwise dull Premiership season , could be awesome with him playing in the same team as Ronaldo, would be looking for Madrid to score at least another 20 - 30 league goals.

Surely Bale going could be good news about Obika coming to Charlton, or is he going to be this Summers Sam Baldock?