Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Anorak Addick Fanzine Goes Back to Basics

Comments

• What did happen to Henry Irving, did he go onto better things? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]What did happen to Henry Irving, did he go onto better things? :-)

No, it was downhill all the way. : - (
  • What a brilliant idea - no not Sir Henry writing for Anorack Addicks but the thought of having the half time scores put up as mentioned in Ben's article. It would be better than the electronic score boards and it could be the new cool retro look. I am sure it will be the talk of the football clubs....and the kids will wonder what the f**k is this all about..."was that how they done it in the old days dad? - a bit of a history lesson whilst at a football match (must be a couple of browny points for the Dad/mum/surrogate/guardian/sperm donor/whoever). It will also benefit those later returners from the bar who what the latest data.

......Now I wonder if the Fans director could give this some thought?
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]What a brilliant idea - no not Sir Henry writing for Anorack Addicks but the thought of having the half time scores put up as mentioned in Ben's article. It would be better than the electronic score boards and it could be the new cool retro look. I am sure it will be the talk of the football clubs....and the kids will wonder what the f**k is this all about..."was that how they done it in the old days dad? - a bit of a history lesson whilst at a football match (must be a couple of browny points for the Dad/mum/surrogate/guardian/sperm donor/whoever). It will also benefit those later returners from the bar who what the latest data.

......Now I wonder if the Fans director could give this some thought?

Only if you do a cost benefit analysis first : - )

Pros

It would boost the programme sales as well as you would just put the games in the programme forcing people to buy one

It would be retro fun as you say and we might get some funding for it as part of a literacy and numeracy programme for young people

It would save the club having to pay BDL huge wages every week

Cons

Some people might prefer the instant access culture of big screen, Sky on the TVs screens etc
  • Thanks Sir Henry for pointing out that the pros out weigh the cons by 3:1 It looks like from what your saying is that the funding is basically sorted, increased program sales, increased credibility on the fashion front from the retro style. If we keep the tv screen for the geeks then we have a win-win situation.

....That should be enough information to get this project pass through the board - no sweat. Now all we need is that Ben the Fans director chappie to get on the case...Sir Henry I've heard you know this Ben fella - could you run this brilliant idea pass him and see whether this is a go'er?

Cheers

Mr. S. Gone

PS: I'm just putting a business case together about selling roasted peanuts in the East Stand.
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Thanks Sir Henry for pointing out that the pros out weigh the cons by 3:1 It looks like from what your saying is that the funding is basically sorted, increased program sales, increased credibility on the fashion front from the retro style. If we keep the tv screen for the geeks then we have a win-win situation.

....That should be enough information to get this project pass through the board - no sweat. Now all we need is that Ben the Fans director chappie to get on the case...Sir Henry I've heard you know this Ben fella - could you run this brilliant idea pass him and see whether this is a go'er?

Cheers

Mr. S. Gone

PS: I'm just putting a business case together about selling roasted peanuts in the East Stand.

I do know Ben but to be honest, nice bloke that he is, he can be a bit of a miserable sod sometimes and he's more interested in getting free prawn sarnies than fighting the corner for real fans like you and me Salad but I will try and catch him on a good day.

Chestnuts roasting over an open fire in the north upper. That's the way forward. A few minor health and safety issues to overcome but shouldn't be a problem
  • 'Someone mentioned recently that as much as we love mobile phones and appreciate how much easier they make our lives they do mean that we’ll never hear a message on the Valley PA along the lines of “Can Mr Smith please call home at once, you wife has just gone into labour”'

Someone ? Someone ???????????

Don't you know who I AM ??
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]'Someone mentioned recently that as much as we love mobile phones and appreciate how much easier they make our lives they do mean that we’ll never hear a message on the Valley PA along the lines of “Can Mr Smith please call home at once, you wife has just gone into labour”'

Someone ? Someone ???????????

Don't you know who I AM ??

Sorry. I was going to put "can Mr Danny Smith please call home...." but I thought Mrs Smith might take it the wrong way.

Thanks for the line. It's a classic
  • We haven't had one of those announcements for years.

Always fun to do!
  • Could you do some fake ones, maybe coded messages to lifers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Message to Mr. Henry Irving, would you please go home as your wife has just gone over to Labour.
  • Last game of the season

"come in Henry Irving, your time is up"
  • edited October 2007
    A new fanzine, great stuff! But "selling the Anorak Addick inside the Conservative club, or at an away ground" doesn't exactly bring it to the wider masses.

It seems strange that when the last fanzine venture, the short-lived Valley View, was created, all I ever seemed to see on the forums and boards was people moaning that it wasn't available here, that it should be sold there, but in total contrast this one has been launched to a very small target audience.

Ian is no mug so he must know what he's doing. So what is the secret to a fanzine? Is it to start small and niche and build gradually? If so was that VV venture doomed to failure cos it was too much too soon?
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]A new fanzine, great stuff! But "selling the Anorak Addick inside the Conservative club, or at an away ground" doesn't exactly bring it to the wider masses.

It seems strange that when the last fanzine venture, the short-lived Valley View, was created, all I ever seemed to see on the forums and boards was people moaning that it wasn't available here, that it should be sold there, but in total contrast this one has been launched to a very small target audience.

Ian is no mug so he must know what he's doing. So what is the secret to a fanzine? Is it to start small and niche and build gradually? If so was that VV venture doomed to failure cos it was too much too soon?

You'd have to ask Ian but I don't think he is that bothered about it being a huge success or having seller on every corner.

It's a bit of fun and like the last time it is most likely more of a word of mouth you see it when you see it thing.
  • I might be wrong but I understood Valley View stopped because the lad who did most of it went off to uni.

From my conversations with the sellers I met they were shifting the ones they produced quite well.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I might be wrong but I understood Valley View stopped because the lad who did most of it went off to uni.

From my conversations with the sellers I met they were shifting the ones they produced quite well.

that was my original spur for giving it a go. Despite VV being pretty poor if i'm honest, there was clearly a market still for a paper publication.
  • edited October 2007
    The Jills now produce Brian Moore's Head.... as an internet magazine.

http://brianmooreshead.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/a-soothing-balmy%e2%80%a6/#more-309

I've linked it as there's a bit about Chris Dickson.