Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bobbin' Along - History of the Charlton Badge Part 1

Comments

• I've been going since 1961 and all I can say to that piece is "well feck me. " great article though.
  • Splendid stuff!
  • Apologies to Barnie, who asked me to come up with something funny ;-)
  • Top stuff Stig, did the trust reward you with a golden anorak?
  • Cheers Aburdistan, no I've got my own anorak thanks. And my own pencil, paper, tartan blanket and flask.
  • A fascinating article, Stig, packed with interesting detail. I had assumed the badge and the nickname were both much older inventions, partly because to me it would be inconceivable to change them. I especially like our sword, with the thrusting strength of the vertical blade (almost phallic!) offset by the curved flourish of the cross-guard.
  • Great article, well done stig I really enjoyed reading that. I also think the owners should give you two 5 guinea tickets for your efforts
  • excellent article ... cheers
  • Excellent article. I guess the final question is why we chose the sword from the City of London crest? It's not as if we're the official club of the square mile...

• Looking forward to part 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Great article Stig. Very interesting.
  • edited June 2013
    Nice comment on the article.

"Jon, well done.

A very interesting and informative article.

Every good wish to all at the Club for a successful new season.

Gordon jago
  • Excellent article. I guess the final question is why we chose the sword from the City of London crest? It's not as if we're the official club of the square mile...

Was it the idea of some City based Addicks to bring the club closer in image to where the money is? And what has happened to City Addicks lately

• edited June 2013

Looking forward to part 2

It's part three that will be the real humdinger ;-)

Excellent article. I guess the final question is why we chose the sword from the City of London crest? It's not as if we're the official club of the square mile...

Was it the idea of some City based Addicks to bring the club closer in image to where the money is? And what has happened to City Addicks lately

I was sure that I'd read something along those lines; that the club wanted to attract new support who worked in the city (how that would have worked I've no idea). When I looked for some evidence of this, the only thing I found was written by me anyway. I could hardly go around quoting myself, so I didn't put it in. If anyone's got any genuine evidence that this is what did or didn't happen, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Great post Stig - really interesting reading

Well if it was the intention, it didn't work as we but got bugger all money from the square mile for 30 years after the new badge was produced!
  • I remember being asked to choose a new badge in an April Fools stunt in which the sword was deemed too aggressive.

... I didn't care for any of the three options.  :/

• Sponsored links:

• @stig 's article was more detailed and accurate 
  • edited November 2022
    Excellent article. I guess the final question is why we chose the sword from the City of London crest? It's not as if we're the official club of the square mile...
    a story I’ve posted before elsewhere about a night out in town which batted on and ended up in a hostelry in south london. Getting home much later I realised I’d lost a cufflink, one of a pair with the City shield with sword. A few days later it made its way back to me as it was assumed it was a ‘Charlton’ cufflink and must have been mine because the regulars were mostly millwall fans.
  • edited November 2022
    a story I’ve posted before elsewhere about a night out in town which batted on and ended up in a hostelry in south london. Getting home much later I realised I’d lost a cufflink, one of a pair with the City shield with sword. A few days later it made its way back to me as it was assumed it was a ‘Charlton’ cufflink and must have been mine because the regulars were mostly millwall fans.
    Whilst I love our badge because I've grown up with it, in hindsight it's a shame we didn't just take the whole of the central shield with the sword in the top left quadrant - very smart and very marketable!