Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAS Trust: Palace to do a Charlton? Should we be worried??

edited May 2013 in General Charlton
As interim chair of CAS Trust I sometimes get asked to do the odd radio phone-in. I guess they think “we need a Charlton supporter” and hey presto I get the job, the bonus being we get to promote the Trust. Anyway on one occasion I recall there were two particular topics of discussion I had to cover (blag my way through) before I was allowed to give an update on what we were doing lately. The first was something about Peterborough’s ‘bombing’ fullbacks a la Barcelona (the presenters words not mine), and the second to do with Charlton and promotion in 2012-13. Well we all know how both of those ended this year don’t we..

Peterborough played nice football or tried to, but suffered the reality of Championship football. My point to the presenter was something like: that’s all nice (somewhat bemused by the Barcelona comparison) but what happens if/when the reality of finding yourselves at the bottom of the league bites? You have to change and start trying to grind out results – although to be fair to Peterborough the league remained very open until the last few weeks.

So then the conversation drifted back to Charlton, are we really ready for promotion if we managed it somehow this year, like Norwich and co? I think they expected me to say no, but I actually said why not? We weren’t ‘ready’ back in ’98 but it did us no harm, we put the money to good use, spent a year in the top league, kept that team together except for Mills, and ‘buried’ the Championship the following year. So who cares if you’re ready with the present day at £60-120 million!? The Championship play off final remains the biggest game in the world, it is simply enormous, and just gets bigger and bigger.

read more if still awake

Comments

• FFS, are we still going on about palace?
  • did you read the whole article?
  • The trouble with the youth development theory is of course the new rules there, which appear to be stacked against smaller clubs in favour of rich ones too?
  • The thing about Palace getting promoted is that they are going to have to spend a shedload of money on upgrading Selhurst and making it into a modern football stadium.

If we were to get promoted we would not need to spend anywhere near as much - meaning more money for the squad and academy.
  • If Palarse did a 2007-2009 era Charlton Id be happy.
  • The thing about Palace getting promoted is that they are going to have to spend a shedload of money on upgrading Selhurst and making it into a modern football stadium.

They'll only end up burning it down like the rest of their town, the stupid bar stewards. :-)

If we were to get promoted we would not need to spend anywhere near as much - meaning more money for the squad and academy.

A new ground would make more sense for them, looking at the amount of work Selhurst needs, but that seems unlikely (for the usual reason clubs in the South East face).

We certainly won't need anywhere near the amount spending on the ground. A lick of paint and some TLC for the East Stand toilets would be nice though!
  • A question for you guys....you improved your ground gradually (IIRC) after you moved back and while you were in the prem - was this done using the clubs income (i.e. season ticket money, premiership income etc) rather than any cash injection from the owners at the time?
  • North stand was a fairly substantial mortgage which is still being gradually paid off.
  • The West Stand second tier and lounges were built in the season we got promotion (97/98), a share issue to fans and directors paid for it I recall
  • Sponsored links:

• The money back then was nothing like it is now.

When we won the play-offs it was seen as the £10m game - now it's £120m
  • Thanks for the replies.
    I'm sure the re-development of Selhurst will happen gradually. And paying for that together with player purchases and increased wages will mean that there wont be much change out of the premiership money.
    But (managed correctly, unlike the past) it gives us stability - something we've not really been used to.
  • Don't tell them Pike..
  • Fishead , I was under the impression Palace wanted to move to a new ground , rather than redevelop Selhurst, is that likely to happen now?
  • According to ES they have decided to develop Selhurst
  • You can't polish a turd.
  • But you can roll it in glitter.
  • According to Addickted the Holmesdale end is gradually sinking & they have a problm with water getting in :-)

A new ground would make more sense for them, looking at the amount of work Selhurst needs, but that seems unlikely (for the usual reason clubs in the South East face).

We certainly won't need anywhere near the amount spending on the ground. A lick of paint and some TLC for the East Stand toilets would be nice though!
    Stop hanging around the blokes bogs!!!

• It is almost certain we cannot move to a new ground but that Selhurst would be redeveloped. And this would be a slow process, working on it stand by stand. Also, there is some issue with the Holmsdale and flooding, so it may be that would have to be re-developed too.
    In any case, we all know the ground is a dump and seriously needs work.
    A special thanks to you lads who started the dismantling process back in Feb... ;>)

• Sponsored links:

• flooding isn't coming from broken pipes is it?
  • razil said:

flooding isn't coming from broken pipes is it?

i think the broken pipes were in the toilets in the Arthur Waite....coincidentally next to the Charlton away support!

• Fishead said:

It is almost certain we cannot move to a new ground but that Selhurst would be redeveloped. And this would be a slow process, working on it stand by stand. Also, there is some issue with the Holmsdale and flooding, so it may be that would have to be re-developed too.
    In any case, we all know the ground is a dump and seriously needs work.
    A special thanks to you lads who started the dismantling process back in Feb... ;>)

Personally I think you'd be better off starting again with a new ground, with 2 stands that need replacing, one decent stand that is sinking, and the other end complicated by a supermarket BUT I can imagine the planning issues in trying to find an appropriate site.
    Bob22 said:

The thing about Palace getting promoted is that they are going to have to spend a shedload of money on upgrading Selhurst and making it into a modern football stadium.

Stop hanging around the blokes bogs!!!

You'd have to be desperate to hang around the toilets at football grounds!