Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Skirting Boards

I need to fix on some skirting boards.
'No More Nails', which I have used elsewhere in the house, won't work, as the wall isn't completely straight, and the boards themselves are a little warped.
What I really need to do is screw or nail them in. However, I can't find information about it ANYWHERE.

Is there anyone here who can help point me in the right direction, as to what type/size of screw or nail I would need?
The only information I can find when googling, is forums where people continually debate whether No More Nails (or Gripfill) is better than nails or screws.

Comments

• 1 1/2 X No 8 with red rawplug.
    I normally counterbore the hole (1/2'' X 3/8 deep) and fill with wooden pellet.
  • Just the one screw CK?

Won't it be bit wobbly?

• Bring back the guttering thread.
  • If you need to ask the question then you shouldn't be attempting it.
  • Inch an half 8s, red plugs, 5.5 masonry bit
  • Big Rob and Charltonkeston, thanks for the advice, it's really useful.

Stupid, unhelpful and pointless thing to say. I've put on door-handles and put up shelves, by reading instructions and looking up techniques/advice/information to help me. The idea that one can only do DIY if they are born with an innate knowledge of what to do in every situation is ludicrous.
  • If you wanna do a proper job, put some spacers under the skirting before fixing so that you've got an even 2-3mm gap all the way along. Torn up bits of cardboard should do it
  • I need some doing when you're done.
  • Also when you come to butt the ends of the skirting, cut a scarf joint. (45' cut on both ends) makes a much better finish
  • Sponsored links:

Stupid, unhelpful and pointless thing to say. I've put on door-handles and put up shelves, by reading instructions and looking up techniques/advice/information to help me. The idea that one can only do DIY if they are born with an innate knowledge of what to do in every situation is ludicrous.
    Completely agree. I was, and still am to a certain degree, a complete DIY noob but over the course of helping my stepdad completely renovate our house I've managed to pick up a number of skills that I never thought I would have.

• Also dont do internal mitres, your walls will not be 90 degress. Cut one end straight into a corner and then on the other board cut a 45 and back cut it using a copping saw. If your walls are out of plum use a bevel guage to scribe the correct angle.
    Best watch a you tube video, there are loads of them. I'm not the best at explaining things. It really isnt that hard once you've done a few.
    As Big Rob says and finish along the top with with some decorators caulking. (and in the corners if you've made a bit of a mess of the joints, only if your painting them)
    Addickted said:

Just the one screw CK?

Won't it be bit wobbly?

One screw and large amounts of gripfill but not in my house ;-)
  • Ok, are you fixing to a masonary wall or stud?
    Is the masonary of a sound construction?
    If using screws aim to miss the mortar.
    Are the floorboards wooden?
    If so you may wish to use a form of batton on the floor (nailed) and use this as leverage to insert a batton to hold the floorboard against the wall whilst the gripfill/no-nails goes off.
    If using gripfill/no-nails hoover the area of masonary prior.
    This will remove any dust/loose masonary that will prevent adhesion.

My point is that it takes time to learn carpentry skills, and rather than having something that looks crap (and wasting good money on timber - especially hardwood), its sometimes easier to call a favour in from someone who knows.

Have you a good mitre saw?
  • Ok, are you fixing to a masonary wall or stud?
    Is the masonary of a sound construction?
    If using screws aim to miss the mortar.
    Are the floorboards wooden?
    If so you may wish to use a form of batton on the floor (nailed) and use this as leverage to insert a batton to hold the floorboard against the wall whilst the gripfill/no-nails goes off.
    If using gripfill/no-nails hoover the area of masonary prior.
    This will remove any dust/loose masonary that will prevent adhesion.

My point is that it takes time to learn carpentry skills, and rather than having something that looks crap (and wasting good money on timber - especially hardwood), its sometimes easier to call a favour in from someone who knows.

Have you a good mitre saw?

I understand where you're coming from. To be fair though, I did say in my original post that I had fitted skirting boards already using adhesive, and I just needed to know the size of screw to use.
  • At last, a proper Charlton Life thread!
  • Yawn......
  • edited May 2013
    I had to fit some skirting and flooring in a friends place a few months ago. she had just moved into a flat which had fitted carpets, so there was tones of that smooth edge track strip stuff. which not only was nailed down but also glued to the floor! the whole experience was time consuming and painful. never again.