Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roberto Martinez

Has been given permission to talk to Liverpool. I hope, if he signs on the dotted line, that this Club give him the time and resources he deserves because, if they do, I'm sure he will be a success.

Comments

• Has been given permission to talk to Liverpool. I hope, if he signs on the dotted line, that this Club give him the time and resources he deserves because, if they do, I'm sure he will be a success.
    I totally agree. I have long admired him. The work he did at Swansea was carried on by Brendan Rogers and Wigan this last month or so have finally started to get the results of his work.
  • Deserves a crack at a club with a realistic chance of doing more than just 'surviving' each year. Not a fan of Liverpool as a club, but if ever there was a sleeping giant it's them and someone, at somepoint is going to bring back their glory days. Martinez comes across as a dignified man with integrity and boy do his teams play attractive football so it'd be nice to see someone like that handed a crack at a big club after working his apprentiship in England instead yet another manager being imported because it's de rigueur.
  • although he did manage the worst team in the premierships for the first 29 games of the season.
  • The best odds for him to be the next Liverpool manager are 2/1 .. other bookies have him at 6/4, 6/5 and a few at odds on. I have just staked £50. My gambling losing streak has just GOTTA change !!
  • edited May 2012
    although he did manage the worst team in the premierships for the first 29 games of the season.
    Amazing isn't it. If Wigan's season was the other way round and they had a fantastic start and terrible end he wouldn't be considered for this job. Why is it that every year they seem to have a dreadful first half, everyone says they are certs to go down yet they always stay up? Got to look towards the manager, both for getting them into that position in the first place and then the ability to drag them out of it. I have no idea how it will go for him at Liverpool, my gut feeling though is that it is a bit of a car crash waiting to happen.
  • although he did manage the worst team in the premierships for the first 29 games of the season.
    Amazing isn't it. If Wigan's season was the other way round and they had a fantastic start and terrible end he wouldn't be considered for this job. Why is it that every year they seem to have a dreadful first half, everyone says they are certs to go down yet they always stay up? Got to look towards the manager, both for getting them into that position in the first place and then the ability to drag them out of it. I have no idea how it will go for him at Liverpool, my gut feeling though is that it is a bit of a car crash waiting to happen.
    They lose most of their best players each summer and have to rebuild on a shoe string so there is inevitably a certain amount of settling in involved, especially when you insist on playing in such a specific way.
  • He certainly sets his teams up to play football how it should be played but being given the time to change the ethos and playing style and the support for when his impact is not instantaneous is something I doubt the fans and board will allow him. Pity.
    They lose most of their best players each summer and have to rebuild on a shoe string so there is inevitably a certain amount of settling in involved, especially when you insist on playing in such a specific way.
    Good point but last season the only significant player they lost was N'Zogbia, fair enough for them that's a fairly big loss but essentially only 1 player and they did get a decent fee for him.
  • Just wondering if Dave Whealan has pulled a mster strok here. By announcing that Liverpool are taking to him it has put them in an embarassing situation by there targets being public knowledge. I wonder if Whealan has tried to put them off and trying to attracted attention away from Martinez as know the speculation is about who else Liverpool will approach
  • Hopefully he will get his chance at Everton now.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Wigan stay up I reckon there will bigger/better opportunities than Everton.
  • he'll go to Citttteeeeeee .. after they sack Rooooberrrrtoooo
  • If he keeps Wigan up another year and stays with them for a season, can see Arsenal come knocking when Wenger's contract runs out.
  • If he keeps Wigan up another year and stays with them for a season, can see Arsenal come knocking when Wenger's contract runs out.

you could be right .. whatever, he'll be in even bigger demand than before .. plus .. he seems to be a genuinely nice man
  • I think he'll stay even if they go down. Will be in Europe next year and as said above will go bigger than Everton. Arsenal is a good shout.
  • Perfect fit for Arsenal.
  • Second nicest man in football. Good luck to him.
  • Just left Wigan according to ITV Sport.
  • Got to be Everton, can't see him at Stoke.
  • Good luck to him

Makes a cracking pundit too
  • Sponsored links:

• Everton or Malaga ( probably the former, as Malaga is a bit of a basket case ).
  • Is he really that good? Yes he kept Wigan up every year (just) but it was him who got them in a relegation battle in the first place. I think Everton should be aiming higher.
  • Massively overrated manager.

Wigan had the chance each year to build on their late revivals but each time ended up in trouble and finally got relegated.
  • Curbs first half of the season.Martinez second half. CHAMPIONS
  • edited May 2013

Massively overrated manager.

Wigan had the chance each year to build on their late revivals but each time ended up in trouble and finally got relegated.

A little harsh imo.

The players that usually kept them up he had to sell the following season. Moses, N'Zogbia, Valencia....

Shite crowds and limited money, he done a good job. Plus an FA Cup isnt too bad on the CV.
  • Is he really that good? Yes he kept Wigan up every year (just) but it was him who got them in a relegation battle in the first place. I think Everton should be aiming higher.

To judge that you have to take into account what sort of financial state he has left the Club in. Look at Q P R for example and their absurd transfer dealings (plus wages) and then examine the comings and goings at Wigan. The last three seasons they have sold:

Moses - £9m
    N'Zogbia - £9.5m
    Vallencia - £16m

All three players were massive influences on Wigan's survival. How long would we have survived had we had to sell a Darren Bent every season? And we struggled to get beyond the third round in the F A Cup let alone win it but we would still argue Curbs would be a good move for some of the Premier League jobs Martinez is being touted for.

To judge that you have to take into account what sort of financial state he has left the Club in. Look at Q P R for example and their absurd transfer dealings (plus wages) and then examine the comings and goings at Wigan. The last three seasons they have sold:

Moses - £9m
    N'Zogbia - £9.5m
    Vallencia - £16m

All three players were massive influences on Wigan's survival. How long would we have survived had we had to sell a Darren Bent every season? And we struggled to get beyond the third round in the F A Cup let alone win it but we would still argue Curbs would be a good move for some of the Premier League jobs Martinez is being touted for.

Good point and you could add Rodallega to that list too.
  • edited May 2013

Is he really that good? Yes he kept Wigan up every year (just) but it was him who got them in a relegation battle in the first place. I think Everton should be aiming higher.

Moses - £9m
    N'Zogbia - £9.5m
    Vallencia - £16m

Good point and you could add Rodallega to that list too.
    ..and Diame.

They've lost a lot of talented players.
  • Swisdom said:

Good luck to him

ESPN (the US version) used him as part of their Euro 2012 pundit crew. Came away highly impressed.

• KidFlash said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck to him

ESPN (the US version) used him as part of their Euro 2012 pundit crew. Came away highly impressed.

He's on the La Liga show all the time and does come across well. Presented by our very own Scott Minto too.