Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carlton Cole has been released at 29

It looks like a sign of the times that Carlton Cole, at 29, had been released by West Ham.

It was only a couple of years ago that they were hanging out for more than £11m to sell him to Liverpool, if the stories were to be believed.

It makes it look more and more likely that the new FFP rules are going to cut players wages.

He was in the England squad not that long ago and at 29 you can hardly suggest that he's finished.

Having said that, I suspect that he would be too expensive for us but I'm not sure he'll get another Premier League club to take him.

A real sign of the times.

Comments

• Wouldn't welcome him back tbh. Was a frustrating player and rarely entertained.
  • It looks like a sign of the times that Carlton Cole, at 29, had been released by West Ham.

It was only a couple of years ago that they were hanging out for more than £11m to sell him to Liverpool, if the stories were to be believed.

It makes it look more and more likely that the new FFP rules are going to cut players wages.

He was in the England squad not that long ago and at 29 you can hardly suggest that he's finished.

Having said that, I suspect that he would be too expensive for us but I'm not sure he'll get another Premier League club to take him.

A real sign of the times.

Or perhaps he's just shite?

Soz, ur probably right, but by 29 I think he's had plenty of time to reach his potential..

• He's been released?

I didn't think he ever got convicted.
  • Cardiff or Hull?
  • Never rated him.
  • Lazy & not very good.
  • Decent player on his day, however his day is about 2-3 games a season.

Will probably sign for a newly promoted side.
  • Lazy & not very good.

that's unfair, I thought Off-Its joke was very good

• We need to sign players who want to be here not those who think they're doing us a favour.
  • No thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• He was always late for training (according to Curbs). He'll end up at QPR or Brighton I reckon.
  • he's a busted flush .. Cyprus, Turkey or USA for CC
  • A decent player who thought he was too good for us when he was here on loan.

However, still more than capable of doing a job in the Prem and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Palace should they sneak through on Monday
  • No Thanks
  • We can do better - IIRC we stood by him when he was accused of participating in a rape and then he promptly buggered off back to Chelsea.

He's got some talent, but not the application to use it properly.
  • please no... JUST NO
  • never been impressed with him
  • We can do better - IIRC we stood by him when he was accused of participating in a rape and then he promptly buggered off back to Chelsea.

He's got some talent, but not the application to use it properly.

I think he went back to Chelsea but then went on loan to Villa for the next season, he played at our place and got a lot of stick.
  • Hated him when he was with us (in the loosest sense of the term). Time and distance have done nothing to change my opinion. He can do one.
  • Salad said:

Lazy & not very good.

Thank you kind Sir. It's nice to know it didn't go totally unnoticed!
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I wasn't suggesting that we sign him, merely that he'll probably still command higher wages than we pay.

I was really trying to link the financial position to players of his calibre (past valuations) being released.

I think our decision to release the likes of Danny Haynes is not going to look quite as much of a gambe in a couple of months time.
  • He'll go to QPR
  • Wigan
  • Off_it said:

He's been released?

Believe he did. Impersonating an energetic footballer.

• If the unthinkable happens it'll be Palace...and they will deserve each other.
  • If the unthinkable happens it'll be Palace...and they will deserve each other.

Good choice :-)
  • Off_it said:

He's been released?

Neat joke, Off-It. Not convicted, but he was one of a group of players investigated by the Old Bill in connection with an alleged case of "roasting" in a Mayfair hotel.

• We need to sign 'hungry' players.
  • Salad said:

Lazy & not very good.

Please don't encourage him.
  • Off_it said:

He's been released?

Neat joke, Off-It. Not convicted, but he was one of a group of players investigated by the Old Bill in connection with an alleged case of "roasting" in a Mayfair hotel.

Ah yes, if I recall a chorus of "You only sweat when you're roasting" awaited him on his return.