Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do crowds matter

Championship 2012/2013 Total Average Crowds

1 Brighton & Hove Albion 603,438 26,236
2 Sheffield Wednesday 553,794 24,078
3 Derby County 534,245 23,228
4 Nottingham Forest 530,893 23,082
5 Cardiff City 528,971 22,998
6 Leicester City 507,251 22,054
7 Wolverhampton Wanderers 501,148 21,789
8 Leeds United 496,157 21,572
9 Charlton Athletic 425,500 18,500
10 Bolton Wanderers 416,173 18,094
11 Ipswich Town 403,106 17,526
12 Hull City 399,484 17,368
13 Crystal Palace 397,450 17,280
14 Middlesbrough 386,263 16,794
15 Birmingham City 384,163 16,702
16 Huddersfield Town 349,014 15,174
17 Blackburn Rovers 344,920 14,996
18 Blackpool 320,083 13,916
19 Watford 309,431 13,453
20 Bristol City 307,010 13,348
21 Burnley 297,349 12,928
22 Millwall 242,867 10,559
23 Barnsley 234,762 10,207
24 Peterborough United 188,952 8,215

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschauer/eng-championship-2012-2013/1/

Comments

• Options
    9th in the division, 9th biggest average crowd ... if we get over 25k next season it means automatic promotion ;-)
  • Options
    Anyone else suspicious that our is the only one that's a very round number...?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

9th in the division, 9th biggest average crowd ...;-)

If only the spanners were true to form.
  • Options
    DRF said:

keep it quiet will ya or HMRC will be poking their noses in again.

• Options
    DRF said:

Well, we do have a lot of 'very round' fans!! ;o)
  • Options

Still amazes me that more than 1/4 million people turn out in the rain to watch second tier football every week but we are told there is no viable TV income (for clubs) from it because fans only want to watch the premiership on TV.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the makeup of the crowd rather than just the number.

Millwall's attendances are low but if they were to sell out and create the same atmosphere they did against Charlton on a weekly basis, I reckon they would be a force to contend with.

But they don't, so they aren't.
  • Options

Still amazes me that more than 1/4 million people turn out in the rain to watch second tier football every week but we are told there is no viable TV income (for clubs) from it because fans only want to watch the premiership on TV.

That coupled with the fact that most (not all) Premierleague games on tele are complete w**k.

• Options
    Look at Millwall's crowds, what a shithouse club they are.

Look at ours, huge thanks to Rick Everitt and co for years of hard work on rebuilding our fan base after the "lost years" of 85-92.
  • Options
    Now if only we had made all our home matches 'football for a fiver', we'd have had the best supported team in the division.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I supose its all to do with the total base. I image a high percentage of championship fans go to games where as a low percentage go to premiership. Is there an 'armchair' army unable to get to champ games? And the chicken and egg, do they go to games because they're not on telly, they aren't on telly so they don't build a fan base bigger than their capacity, tickets are (more) affordable so there aren't fans who really want to go who can't...
  • Options
    Do crowds matter? Ask a lynching victim!
  • Options
    I would love more Championship games on TV. Especially on the BBC. That way, more people will watch Championship football and will take an interest in it. In the short term, it would bring in less money than what Sky are bringing in now, however, as a long-term investment it's a good way to build up a fan base.
  • Options

Look at ours, huge thanks to Rick Everitt and co for years of hard work on rebuilding our fan base after the "lost years" of 85-92.

And the years before that.....we had shit crowds before we went to Selhurst Park.
  • Options
    Don't our crowds go up with the better we play and in higher divisions?
  • Options
    A better league table would be on revenue generated. My guess is we might drop down the table on that basis.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

And the years before that.....we had shit crowds before we went to Selhurst Park.
    Correct. 2600 for the likes of Carlisle at home during the 84/85 season goes to show how bad our gates were before we left.

• Options

Don't our crowds go up with the better we play and in higher divisions?

Yes, that was and always be the key factor long term. As Rick himself often said, it is the one factor the non-playing side ie Club Development, Target 40k couldn't influence.

But initiatives like kids for a quid, valley express, football for a fiver etc did and do bring people in for a taster, a few of whom get the bug and come again. They also make people realsie they can go to live football with easy travel.

What that means is when success comes on the pitch there is a well of potential support, known to the Club and used to coming to the Valley, to draw from.

And in the short term FFAF etc make the gates look better for selling the Club and for bragging rights over Spanners and Glaziers. : - )
  • Options

Correct. 2600 for the likes of Carlisle at home during the 84/85 season goes to show how bad our gates were before we left.

I think that one was the away game at Carlisle (Lee Harmsworth's debut...) but Sheff Utd at home was only 3,200 and the 84/85 home average was 5,104.

Our first few crowds at The Valley in 85/86 were awful too and that was despite the club signing seven new players, which was unheard of at the time....4,178 for Barnsley, 4,045 for Middlesboro' and only 6,637 for Crystal Palace.

Probably the worst though for me, was when only 7,600 turned up to the Grimsby game in 1984, two days after we'd been saved from extinction! It always puzzled me that so many people were galvanised by the saga of losing The Valley in 1985 and yet, relatively few seemed bothered about whether the club existed or not back in 1983/84. There must be a reason for it but I've never really been able to work it out.

Whatever the reason, it seems to me that the way things have worked out since, it was almost as if leaving The Valley was the kick up the arse that the fan-base needed to get interested in going to matches again. The attendances since the return have been consistently good.
  • Options
    By swapping cardiff, wolvesand brighton (hopefully) for QPR, Wigan and Reading we are likely to move up to 6/7 next year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why am I suddenly getting an email everytime someone comments on this thread? Anyone else getting this?
  • Options
    You've got mail Peakie :-)
  • Options

Why am I suddenly getting an email everytime someone comments on this thread? Anyone else getting this?

Did you bookmark it?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Football crowds have risen as well from the early eighties as well cos of the Sky hype, ground improvements, trendyness of footy...
    I bet almost 100% of all clubs in relatively the same position as they were 30 years ago will have much bigger crowds(if the stadium size allowed)
    Imo i think attendances have peaked, our crowds will only get smaller, in time, if we tread water and only a promotion to the Prem will see significant improvement
  • Options

Did you bookmark it?

I must have done it by accident - cheers.
  • Options
    10,559. including away supporters ?
    Ha !
  • Options
    Birmingham, Middlesborough and Blackburn are much lower than I would expect (and they hope)
  • Options

Football crowds have risen as well from the early eighties as well cos of the Sky hype, ground improvements, trendyness of footy...
    I bet almost 100% of all clubs in relatively the same position as they were 30 years ago will have much bigger crowds(if the stadium size allowed)
    Imo i think attendances have peaked, our crowds will only get smaller, in time, if we tread water and only a promotion to the Prem will see significant improvement

I think there are a couple of exceptions, Brighton being the obvious one. They were never a 28K home gate team, it's down to the hard work they've put in alongside the new stadium. Suspect if the new stadium was anywhere easier to get to it would be even higher. But they also have an advantage in that they are looking for new fans in an area that is big, growing and a fair distance from the nearest club (which is now Crawley, but would have been Pompey or Palace until recently). A lot of armchair big 4 supporters will never get to see "their" team, but can be persuaded to see live football if it's shown to be a convenient and possible.