Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life End of Season Thank You's - 2012/13

Alas, it is that time of the year when the corridors of CL Towers fall silent to the summer exodus. In the Preview wing, Henry Irving and WSS have already skipped away holding hands in search of the tranquil Mykonos sands. Now the adults have fled, Young Stubbers is finishing packing his last crusty copies of Zoo and Nuts mags that he’s had hidden for the last nine months. In the Numbers wing, Shirty has fled clutching the point scoring system for his Magaluf lads holiday, while Lancashire Lad is busily putting the finishing touches to the Statbank before catch the steam train to the Norf. All that is left are the ageing unkept caretakers AFKA and Lookie scratching their heads and not knowing what to do with the barely conscious Suzi, who stinks like a French Vineyard after her and Curb It polished off the CL cellar after finally chasing the last of the sponsorship winners.

As you can see from the waffle above, a big team effort goes into ‘keeping things ticking over’ and we are grateful to all that go out of there way. Additional to the above there is RedM and the matchday crew who bring so much pleasure and togetherness, particularly to distant Addicks. SISS was a real standout moment this season. Then there are those that helped provide regular article content, particularly those who filled the summer months with brilliant Euro game previews and Championship team previews. We published in access of 150 articles and previews over the past 12 months. Was a real team effort and loads put some great work in. Thank you all. Well done also to Sadie for all the efforts she puts in with the Poker Club.

The Statbank is now four years young, and remains unique amongst these sort of sites. Still can’t believe this hasn’t been replicated through other clubs forums by now, but i’m sure someone will pinch something similar for next season. Lanc Lad does a brilliant job compiling all the player stats throughout the season and we are very grateful for fulfilling what is an onerous task so well. We’re already looking into ways to jazz it up next season, and look out for the Bumper End of Season statbank in the next week. Similarly Shirty, and the great work he does every week with the predictions.

A lot of people will always have the view that forums are full of negativity, but very rarely highlight some of the good things that can occur. We have always gone out of our way with CL to try and emphasise the potential for how forums can be utilised positively. The Shirt Sponsorship scheme was a great success again, allowing the sponsorship of 7 players. Through its members, CL has now sponsored 25 players over the past few seasons, assisting the club financially to the tune of £10,000 through this scheme.

The Auction scheme has also continued to be a great success. For the second year running, we were able to make a contribution to the Academy in access of £3,000, which was used to acquire additional minibuses. We were also able to raise £665 for the RBL through the Poppy Shirts, and our current fundraising effort for the Upbeats Programme is also in excess of £800.

Henry and Suzi deserve tremendous thanks for their efforts with the above, but also everyone of you who have donated or bid for items, or supported the sponsorship scheme. These are helping have a real positive impact and are not one offs, they getting repeated every year thanks to people’s time and generosity.

And finally, a general big thank you to everyone.

In some respects it has been a difficult year, and at a time when managers only seem to be in a job for five minutes, we took a very strong stance on here. Amid a backdrop of mixed results, suggestions that Jiminez didn’t rate Powell, and strong calls elsewhere to sack him, we have tried where possible to show our strong support for Chris Powell and to back him as positively as we could. The introduction of the 100% SUPPORT banner in November when things were dicey was mocked by many, but we wanted to make a clear statement. The majority on here embraced it, and i’m convinced that the strong support giving to him and the team in the stands when behind in that Cardiff game kept him in a job. When we went through a similar spell in February and the same calls were emerging, we were clear in our backing that if we had our way, we would make the banner twice as big if we could. Again, the majority once again backed what we were trying to do.

Yes, there will always be someone who winds you up on here, and forums by their nature can be reactionary. But there are a hell of a lot of wonderful, sensible, balanced Charlton fans that use this forum, we are very grateful that you do, and we hope it can continue long into the future.

Have a great summer

Up the Addicks !!

Your Admin Team

Comments

• Splendid stuff - and thanks to you and Lookie of course AFKA! Your efforts are appreciated.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks to everyone at CL Towers ... Life wouldn't be the same without Charlton Life
  • edited May 2013
    One of my most visited sites and some of the funniest stuff I've read all year has been on here and that's not even mentioning all the great fundraising that goes on too, amongst lots of other things. Even things such as writing preview threads and compiling the Statbank/Prediction League must take hours and hours over the course of a season. The match threads are fantastic too... so so many great contributors. I know I'll have missed something out, that's the wealth of this forum and everyone should give themselves a pat on the back.

Thanks a lot for continuing to provide CL. :-)
  • Well done AFKA for some well-chosen words of wisdom, and thanks to everyone who contributes to Charlton Life. I sometimes think that I am spending too much time reading the numerous comments on here and that maybe I should get-a-life. And then I think about those that administer and make this site possible and I wonder how they have time to manage a job, a family and anything away from here.
    To all of you on the other side of the screen, have a great Summer and I look forward to more of the same next season.
  • Fantastic.... Thanks AFKA ... and everyone this is a fantastic site and helps me stay in touch and often fills me with jealousy not being able to go to games, being so far away ... and a special mention to Red Mid from me your match threads being re read through a hungover glaze on a Sunday have been Fantastic ...
  • Thanks to everyone involved, even though AFKA cannot be trusted to remember his own name after a few at the Lib :) In the event Adam came through like a trooper and I am now able to log on and even post again.

Well done all, lets have a great Summer and look forward to next season.
  • JWADDICK said:

Thanks to everyone involved, even though AFKA cannot be trusted to remember his own name after a few at the Lib :)

I did warn you where that day was heading ! Glad you're sorted now
  • Not to forget that both Michael Slater and Richard Murray spoke about reading CL this season, the Trust got off to great start in part due to the platform given to it by CL while Bromley Addicks, Eltham Addicks Ashford Addicks and NWK Addicks all tapped into the resource that is CL.

100% Support was a great rallying point (well done Stig)

I imagine controlling the rest of you must be like herding cats so well done AFKA and Lookie.

Onwards and upwards as one lurker said.
  • NugNug
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to you all, spend way too much time on here, appreciate all your efforts. Enjoy your summer everyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Holding down a full time job.
    Father of young twins.
    Runs the best football forum on the internet.

Epic man crush.

Thanks also to all contributors to this site.
  • I would like to thank all Charlton Life contributors to helping my boredom.

I would like to thank JT for entertaining me on a daily basis with his perect use of GIF's in numerous threads
  • stonemuse said:

Thanks to everyone at CL Towers ... Life wouldn't be the same without Charlton Life

THIS .. 100%
  • Well done to all who give us such a wonderful forum. My day wouldn't be complete without my daily fix of Charlton Life. It is the site that I visit more than any other. Thank you everyone.
  • Thanks AFKA & Lookout - This site provides relief, distraction, education, comfort, reflection and much much more! you should be extremely proud.
  • Cheers....Love this site. 100% Charlton Life
  • Thanks to AFKA and Lookie for running it and those like Red Midland, Shirty and so many others who enhance it.

The positive influence of Charlton Life far outweighs the negative irritations and it would be much missed if it wasn't here.
  • Just finished my first year as a Lifer and have been informed, amused, excited, entertained, teased, infuriated, gobsmacked and touched by all the great stuff on here - but most of all I have loved feeling part of a big, almost always happy, passionate Charlton Life family. Thanks to everyone who makes it happen.
  • As ever, thanks for the opportunity to write previews on here! And keep up the great work guys, love this site so much! Oh and no need for Nuts/Zoo these days...the internet is the way forward hahaha!
  • I may not post as much as I used to but I read it & wouldn't think of cheating on you guys!
    Love CL & thanks to it I have met some cracking people!
    X
  • Sponsored links:

• My thanks to AFKA and Lookout for providng the forum, and to all who contribute. The match threads are something I look forward to doing and long may I be able to do so!! I'll have a summer rest and be back refreshed to start with one or two of the pre-season friendlies. It's interesting to see how many people follow the matchday threads on here, when there is also the ones on twitter and of course all the audio. Thanks for folowing me and making it a pleasure to do the match updates......have a great summer.

Cheers RedM
  • My thanks to AFKA and Lookout for providng the forum, and to all who contribute. The match threads are something I look forward to doing and long may I be able to do so!! I'll have a summer rest and be back refreshed to start with one or two of the pre-season friendlies. It's interesting to see how many people follow the matchday threads on here, when there is also the ones on twitter and of course all the audio. Thanks for folowing me and making it a pleasure to do the match updates......have a great summer.

Cheers RedM

nice to meet you on Saturday Redmidland. Even though when I asked who was doing the match thread I'm sure you replied 'couldn't care less' or 'i dont give a $hit' ......

Thanks for all you do when you do 'give a $hit'. It really helps! :-)
  • RedM has already found himself a summer job....... ;)
    Thanks for all your work at CL towers, even Redmidlands commentary has helped me out this year.
  • RedMs Midlands accent must be getting stronger. I'm sure he said Call Centre Manager but it turns out it was Car Park Attendant !
  • Seconding the thanks to everyone who makes this such an enjoyable community, both the contributors (even if we don't always agree) and the mods who try to steer the Charlton Life ship to civil and productive waters.

Oh and can I add LordRomford to the specific thanks? The E# thread made working out the whole relegation and play-off likelihood a whole lot easier to get my head around.
  • RedMs Midlands accent must be getting stronger. I'm sure he said Call Centre Manager but it turns out it was Car Park Attendant !

Just bigging himself up ;)

• thanks everyone, it's been a pleasure
  • Sincere thanks to everyone on here for making it the best place on the net.
  • Thanks indeed. My family sometimes wonder what I'm laughing at when I'm reading stuff on here. I appreciate the efforts of all involved, this is one of the most positive forums I've ever been on.
  • rananegra said:

Thanks indeed. My family sometimes wonder what I'm laughing at when I'm reading stuff on here. I appreciate the efforts of all involved, this is one of the most positive forums I've ever been on.

Wow, you must have been on some REALLY negative forums! ;-)

Thanks to all the admin team and regular contributors for making work-time more bearable....nice work guys n gurls.