Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

International Caps

Whatever happened to the tradition of awarding "a cap" a real one to a player making an international appearance ? It used to be the photo you always saw of a player either holding or wearing his cap or standing alongside his prized collection of caps. When did it stop ?

Comments

• It still happens...
  • I think they still get them
  • Never see them now though do you ?
  • I guess they still do
  • Never see them now though do you ?

I did an image search on google for England Cap and added the names of Chris Powell, Luke Young, Darren Bent, Paul Konchesky and Scott Parker. I couldn't find an image of any one of them with their cap. Sad.
  • Stig said:

Never see them now though do you ?

I did an image search on google for England Cap and added the names of Chris Powell, Luke Young, Darren Bent, Paul Konchesky and Scott Parker. I couldn't find an image of any one of them with their cap. Sad.
    In cricket newly capped players are publically presented with their caps before the match starts, usually by an ex-player of some note. I think that the caps that England footballers get are specially made with the matches/date stitched in and are then mailed on to them some time after the game, hence the lack of photographs.

Perhaps next time we get an England international that player could be publically presented with his cap at the next home game?
  • I think they only get one actual Cap now on their debut rather than physically receiving one for each international game they play as was the case in the days when footballs and boots were made of leather.
  • edited April 2013
    Does 10 minutes in one game as a substitute warrant a 'cap' ?. Perhaps there should be some kind of award after (say) 10 games
  • Does 10 minutes in one game as a substitute warrant a 'cap' ?. Perhaps there should be some kind of award after (say) 10 games

I think so, hence Becks being the most "capped" outfield player despite quite a few of those being cameo appearances towards the end
  • For trivia fans Franck Jurietti, a French international, holds the record for the shortest ever international career which lasted five seconds.
  • Sponsored links:

• For trivia fans Franck Jurietti, a French international, holds the record for the shortest ever international career which lasted five seconds.

Stewart Ripley came close to beating that