Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Albert Einstein

Ok, he may have hit upon e=mc^2

I only have one problem...

He wasn't really that good at maths and didn't really dominate the public image of modern science.

Can anyone say that they are really happy with Einstein's contribution?

Dara O'Briain's quite good at maths and it will be interesting to see which other lifers would agree that he would be a good choice to come up with the next major advance in modern science?

Love from dippee

Comments

• Rachel from countdown has been responsible for many major advancements...
  • And his hair...what was all that about?? Dara doesn't have that problem for starters and Rachel certainly has a number of outstanding points already to her credit!
  • Dara also isn't German.

But problem is he's Irish...
  • You are absolutely correct Dippee. I think that Einstein is a bit like Leaburn; full of promise as a youngster, but thrown in deep too soon and couldn't handle it. He's done nothing for the past 60 years. There's no plan B, I don't think he could put out a new theory if he tried.

He's not the only one though. Take Newton, he might have invented gravity, but he didn't have a clue about quantum mechanics. I mean, what's the point of coming up with something as usful a gravity if you don't understand the mysterious shimerings of sub-atomic particles - they're gonna get you every time. Embarrassing.

The there's DaVinci. Calls himself a great artist and inventor. Have you seen his notebooks? My kids can produce neater looking reports.

And that Hawking's useless. I bet he's not been near the training pitch in years. You can't build that reputation just on being a great dribbler and having nothing else to your game. And as for Archimedes, what a waste of space; I've never know a scientist screw up so much.

• Stig said:

The there's DaVinci. Calls himself a great artist and inventor. Have you seen his notebooks? My kids can produce neater looking reports.

I went to see his cartoons at the National Gallery.

Didn't laugh once
  • Stig said:

He's not the only one though. Take Newton, he might have invented gravity, but he didn't have a clue about quantum mechanics. I mean, what's the point of coming up with something as usful a gravity if you don't understand the mysterious shimerings of sub-atomic particles - they're gonna get you every time. Embarrassing.

Scored a good goal against Ipswich in the play off semi though.
  • The problem I have with that equation is that he uses light as a constant and it isn't.
  • Watched a progamme the other date about Issac Newton...now he was a real maths genius for his day which was well before Einstein.
  • Ian Dury told you all

Einstein can't be classed as witless
    He claimed atoms were the littlest
    When you do a little Splitterness
    Frighten everybody shitless

• There ain't half some clever b'stards.
  • Sponsored links:

• OK. Albert Einstein may have been clever but only half as clever as Albert Zweistein
  • I'm not even happy with my own contribution.
  • Loco said:

The problem I have with that equation is that he uses light as a constant and it isn't.

Now if he'd been English, he'd have known that!
  • Einstein was not a handsome fellow
    Nobody ever called him Al
    He had a long moustache to pull on, it was yellow
    I don't believe he ever had a girl
    One thing he missed out in his theory
    Of time and space and relativity
    Is something that makes it very clear
    He was never gonna score like you and me
  • Loco said:

The problem I have with that equation is that he uses light as a constant and it isn't.

Why do you think that?

And what is the original question? I think it's a great equation and Dara won't be making any breakthroughs.

• When did Charlton life turn into a Millwall forum?
  • Just thinking that feesh. Discussions on Einstein, poetic tribute...

Melts
  • Loco said:

Why do you think that?

And what is the original question? I think it's a great equation and Dara won't be making any breakthroughs.

Isn't it light in a vacuum though which is constant?
  • cafcpolo said:

Loco said:

Why do you think that?

Correct. All electromagnetic radiation travels at C in a vacuum.
  • cafcpolo said:

Loco said:

Why do you think that?

Not when the bag's full.
  • Sponsored links:

• Has e+mc2 got any practical uses in day to day life?

Atomic energy!
  • cafcpolo said:

Loco said:

Why do you think that?

No light get slowed down accelerated and bent by gravity and magnetism, the point of the equation works because it produces an unquantifiable number but in reality it's wrong.
  • Does the equation mean that a small amount of mass has a shit load of energy??
  • fattmatt said:

Does the equation mean that a small amount of mass has a shit load of energy??

Solly
  • 1.5 million HP can be produced with a baked bean can full of plutonium...the calculation to know this is like the hardest sums I've ever had to do.

• 1.5 million HP can be produced with a baked bean can full of plutonium...the calculation to know this is like the hardest sums I've ever had to do.

Horse Power!!! That unit has seldom been used for energy since the 1960's apart from motive energy. You're either a Yank, very old or your're getting confused with HP Baked Beans ;-)