Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Neil Warnock - director of football?

edited April 2013 in Rumours
According to the Sunday Mirror, us and Plymouth are 'poised' to make offers.
Think he lives in Cornwall so hopefully he'll go for Plymouth.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football//8623247

Comments

• Just Football. He's that good.
  • I pressed 'send' before finishing that. Updated.
  • No money but pay 3 managers wages
  • We dont want him!
  • What a load of bollx. Do they think we are stupid?
  • Actually Warnock away from the touch line is a very nice knowledgable man. I can see him doing a very decent job in a Director of Football role. Met him once at a function at a hotel in Leeds when he was managing Sheff Utd. Spoke to him for about five minutes and the lasting memory is of a charming man who's said that Charlton are a great football club. Get him near the touch line and his head is completely overruled by his heart.
  • if our owners are willing to stump up extra cash for a DoF then it shows good intent - doesn't it?
  • Not a popular view I know but I quite like him actually.

On the question of whether we need a director of football, whatever that role actually amounts to, I guess the issue would be whether Chrissy thinks he could work with him or would he be the sort to undermine the manager. I don't think he would be the kind of man to do that so you could perhaps see it happening i.e the board bringing in someone as a sort of go between/buffer (money issue aside).
  • being the Mirror its probably bollox but the guy has a track record of getting teams out of this league. Maybe the owners have money for us next year and he would be there to advise on who we need to get out of this league in the correct direction ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Never trust a man with no eyebrows.
  • No thanks! Would rather have Curbs as DOF.
  • They said on Gillette soccer Saturday he was at the Plymouth game
  • Given the style of football we (The Fans) I think having Warnock would be a negative move, not that I believe the story.

Not quite sure what a diiector of football would do now, if this was at the beginning of CP's reign then it would not be a bad idea for one, although not NW, but we are passed that, unless we are looking to reduce CP's control of the team and recruitment.
  • Actually Warnock away from the touch line is a very nice knowledgable man. I can see him doing a very decent job in a Director of Football role. Met him once at a function at a hotel in Leeds when he was managing Sheff Utd. Spoke to him for about five minutes and the lasting memory is of a charming man who's said that Charlton are a great football club. Get him near the touch line and his head is completely overruled by his heart.

Yeah agree with this, a very knowledgeable football man. He's been there and done it, whether or not he'll fit in at charlton is a different matter
  • He was on Five Live this morning saying that he didn't think he was going to be looking for another managerial job, but rather a part-time role - and suggested that it could be as a link between a board and a manager.

Also said he enjoyed working in London (Palace and QPR).
  • edited April 2013
    DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks! Would rather have Curbs as DOF.

Yes please!

He knows the club inside out , he 'gets ' Charlton , could also act as a mentor for Chris , would love it too happen , could be our best signing of the Summer?

• Can't think of one example of where having a director of football has been a success. Not in this country anyway.
  • I'd rather the board spend the money on getting players in than other managers.
  • He'll go to Plymouth. He has said that his last job would be there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't think of one example of where having a director of football has been a success. Not in this country anyway.

Not sure that's his title but Lenny Lawrence has fulfilled this role with some success for years.

• He'll go to Plymouth. He has said that his last job would be there.

Probably but can Plymouth afford him ? I doubt it.

• edited April 2013
    Anyone read the Leon Cort interview in the Bolton programme?

No thanks Neil.
  • DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks! Would rather have Curbs as DOF.

Yes please!

He knows the club inside out , he 'gets ' Charlton , could also act as a mentor for Chris , would love it too happen , could be our best signing of the Summer?

Totally agree

• No thanks scp needs no help other than players and decent ones at that

• The geezers a knob.
  • SCP doesn't need a Director of Football.

A Director of Substitutions might be useful though :-)
  • Yeah, I mean when was the last time he put on a substitute who went and won us a game?

Spurs.

Comolli brought in Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Corluka, Assou Ekotto.

Most teams abroad use it to great success as well, also I'm pretty sure it wasn't Di Matteo who bought Hazard and Oscar this season.

I think it is a good system but relies on a great relationship between the two, Warnock doesn't really strike me as a DoF though.
  • Graham Poll wrote an article in Saturday's Sun, not only slating Warnock, but also claiming that a London club were considering offering him a position as Director of Football.