Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Neil Redfearn

One of the biggest flops ever transfer wise I guess. Was he our record signing at the time when we bought him from Barnsley - a million quid I think?

Without looking it up, my only real memories of him were scoring a goal at Selhurst against Wimbledon & missing a crucial penalty against Forest when we still had a bit of chance of avoiding the drop at the end of the season. Might be wrong in these recollections but he was pretty anonymous that season.

That's about it.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I remember him scoring in the 5 v 0 against Soton and thats about it really.
  • Great at Barnsley, utter shite at Charlton.
  • Scored in that 5-0 win against Southampton.
  • Rizzo said:

Great at Barnsley, utter shite at Charlton.

I remember Barnsley at the time had an Eastern European striker who caused outrage up there by declaring all the local women were munters compared to the ones back home!
  • To be fair to him Oakster, he was talking about Barnsley!
  • To be fair to him Oakster, he was talking about Barnsley!

Barnsley girls are ugly, says Hristov

Barnsley's homesick striker, Macedonian Georgi Hristov, says he is finding it hard to get a girlfriend in England because local girls are not pretty and drink too much.

Hristov, 21, who joined Barnsley from Partizan Belgrade for £1.5m last summer, is reported to have told a Belgrade sports magazine: "I'm finding it difficult to find a girlfriend in Barnsley, or indeed settle into a decent way of life.

"The local girls are far uglier than the ones back in Belgrade or Skopje, the capital of Macedonia, where I come from.

"Our women are much prettier. Besides, they don't drink as much beer as the Barnsley girls which is something I don't like at all."
  • His goal at Wimbledon was class, one the best i've seen.

He made his name as an attacking midfielder at Barnsley, was brought to Charlton and played in a different way (defensive).

• I had his name on the back of my away charlton shirt that season lol

He made his name as an attacking midfielder at Barnsley, was brought to Charlton and played in a different way (defensive).

Remember that, at Selhurst I believe? Lovely finish.

• Yes he was a flop at The Valley but in fairness to him the role he excelled in at Barnsley was far from the role Curbs asked him to play. He couldn't do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:

His goal at Wimbledon was class, one the best i've seen.

Went downhill after that...lost 2-1 and had to endure that silly music.
  • Oakster said:

To be fair to him Oakster, he was talking about Barnsley!

Barnsley girls are ugly, says Hristov

Barnsley's homesick striker, Macedonian Georgi Hristov, says he is finding it hard to get a girlfriend in England because local girls are not pretty and drink too much.

Hristov, 21, who joined Barnsley from Partizan Belgrade for £1.5m last summer, is reported to have told a Belgrade sports magazine: "I'm finding it difficult to find a girlfriend in Barnsley, or indeed settle into a decent way of life.

"The local girls are far uglier than the ones back in Belgrade or Skopje, the capital of Macedonia, where I come from.

"Our women are much prettier. Besides, they don't drink as much beer as the Barnsley girls which is something I don't like at all."
    What I meant was - He was quite right!!!
  • cafcpolo said:

His goal at Wimbledon was class, one the best i've seen.

I remember that game, we took 12,000 to Selhurst that day. We had the whole of the Arthur Waite and the whole of the Sainsbury's end as well.
  • Rizzo said:

Great at Barnsley, utter shite at Charlton.

I once spoke to a Barnsley fan about him, and we agreed that he was the sort of player who looked brilliant in the 1 minute round up you used to get on MOTD instead of proper highlights, as he would do something good in every game, a goal or a decent shot, that made him look the key player in the team, when for the other 85 minutes he would go missing
  • Fuck me, where did Barnsley get 1.5 million pounds from?
  • He was a yard or more slow.
  • Made Andy Reid look lean!

Interesting post, but what would be more interesting is who you thought was in the Directors box last Saturday worth taking a pic of.
  • He is still a fan and will be at the Valley tomorrow hoping for 3 points.
  • Not a great fan of the player, I am sure professional players do there best, but I expected a lot more from him, and got the feeling he wanted out. I think he was one of the first away was he not at the end of the season?. I think 'disappointing' is my recollection. Harsh comment......, possibly but the passing of time does not make me feel he was 'one of us'
  • Sponsored links:

• I seem to remember a Barnsley fan coming on to NetAddicks and saying something along the lines of we got exactly what they expected. He may have scored eye catching goals for Barnsley, but the fan was adamant he was one of the reasons they went down as he didn't track back and didn't have any positional discipline.

My recurring memory of Redfearn was a player who banged in great shot after great shot during the warm up and then did very little in the actual matches.
  • edited April 2013
    Not worth the money and not one of Curbs better signings I'm sad to say.
  • Yes he was a flop at The Valley but in fairness to him the role he excelled in at Barnsley was far from the role Curbs asked him to play. He couldn't do it.

Is the correct answer.

Barnsley played him in the hole in between midfield and attack in a 3-4-1-2, Curbs played him in our 4-4-2 as a central midfielder and he was not mobile enough to do it.
  • Fecking pie merchant. Could have been a player of he had some fitness

Is the correct answer.

Barnsley played him in the hole in between midfield and attack in a 3-4-1-2, Curbs played him in our 4-4-2 as a central midfielder and he was not mobile enough to do it.
    I think that's the issues the barnsley fans were highlighting though. It wasn't supposed to be a 3-4-1-2, it was supposed to be a 3-5-2, swamping the midfield in order to let them compete with technically more gifted sides. Redfearn's inability to track back and make that 5 in midfield meant they were overrun and eventually went down, conceding 82 goals in 38 games for a -45 goal difference.

Maybe Curbs thought was if Redfearn was put in a position where he couldn't delegate his defensive responsibilities to 2 other centre midfielders then he'd hold his position better, but it failed for us too, though not as badly as it failed for Barnsley, we only conceded 56 goals for a -15 goal difference.

Ultimately 2 different managers tried to get the best from Redfearn at premiership level and both failed because he wouldn't or couldn't put in the necessary work. Maybe in a much better side with 2 defensive midfielders you could afford to let Redfearn wander were he willed, but in all likelihood if you had that better side you'd have a better attacking midfielder than Redfearn in that role.

• remember that goal against wimbledon was brilliant.Didnt we sell him to Bradford for peanuts when we went down.
  • There was a craze at the time for the midfielder of the relegated team who'd scored a few. He was atrocious and was never a dm for us, he was the one to score whilst Kinsella or Jones had to do all the work.

When you read multiple journos stating that he rarely missed from a long shot at Barnsely, and then saw him... Well he hit a shot from all over the place and was more innacurate than Alan Pardew. He was let go by Palace and Oldham after promotion. Terrible player, who at the right club was effective in div 2. Barnsley like Swindon before them played attacking football, and many of their midfielders neglected defensive duties.

Ormiston 3-4-1-2? What rubbish. Is that why they played with Nicky Eaden, and Darren Barnard as first choice players? Both were full backs, and both pushed up as wing backs when they decided to have three at the back. There was no inetween the lines false nine. They just rushed up like madmen from midfield all the time, whilst Bullock and Redfearn were nowhere to be seen in the breakdown.
  • ColinTat said:

There was a craze at the time for the midfielder of the relegated team who'd scored a few. He was atrocious and was never a dm for us, he was the one to score whilst Kinsella or Jones had to do all the work.

When you read multiple journos stating that he rarely missed from a long shot at Barnsely, and then saw him... Well he hit a shot from all over the place and was more innacurate than Alan Pardew. He was let go by Palace and Oldham after promotion. Terrible player, who at the right club was effective in div 2. Barnsley like Swindon before them played attacking football, and many of their midfielders neglected defensive duties.

Ormiston 3-4-1-2? What rubbish. Is that why they played with Nicky Eaden, and Darren Barnard as first choice players? Both were full backs, and both pushed up as wing backs when they decided to have three at the back. There was no inetween the lines false nine. They just rushed up like madmen from midfield all the time, whilst Bullock and Redfearn were nowhere to be seen in the breakdown.

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge of Barnsley's Premier League tactics in 1998.

Congratulations.
  • Only remember him for the goal at sellout and for breaking in JFH shorts.
  • I had his name on the back of my away charlton shirt that season lol

now that's a brave admission Dave!!!!