Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Urgent help required - Apple Mac

I have been writing a piece of work for about two hours now, like a fool not saving as i was going.

Then up pops the spontaneous restart - my world sank.

I haven't touched the Mac yet, it is telling me I have to restart it and won't let me do anything else, is there any way i can recover the work?

Or is it gone? Late night for me if so.

Comments

• What application is it in, some may save in the background
  • Just on Text Edit, I was going to transfer it to a proper application when at work to lay everything out correctly.
  • Ouch

Haha, something I could have done without, put it that way.
  • The built in notes app (faux brown leather and faux yellow note paper) saves automatically. In fact if you're using latest version of osx and one of the built in apps they all pretty much autosave.

Of course that may not be true if its either an older app or third party app.
  • You may be lucky if text edit has auto save..... Lifted this off the net.....

Apple introduced an automatic save feature in the previous version of TextEdit, but that feature just made a copy of the original and saved it in the hard drive next to the original one. With AutoSave, all the saved versions of your document are saved in the background, where you can review and retrieve them like you do with documents and files in Time Machine.
    AutoSave currently works in the TextEdit, Preview, and the Pages versions of Lion. Down the road, 3rd party developers will add the feature to their document applications.
    AutoSave Options
    Now let’s see how to use AutoSave in TextEdit. Nearly all the options associated with AutoSave can be found in the title bar of a saved document. When you put your cursor to the right of the title, a little triangle icon appears giving you a drop-down menu of options: Lock, Duplicate, Revert to Last Opened/Last Saved, and Browse All Versions.

So seems like it has?
  • If you've got the new OS hold in the off button and turn it back on, it'll recover it. If not, I think you may be fucked mate.
  • Okay thanks ET and RA, I'm going to take the plunge and restart it and hope for the best.
  • I've got version 1.6, which seems to have an autosave feature in the system preferences - so as long as yours isn't much older hopefully you'll be OK!
  • Good Luck A2TR
  • Sponsored links:

• Ouch - all gone.
  • bad luck matey
  • Rob said:

bad luck matey

Who needs sleep eh?
  • Just put it down as a learning experience :-)
  • It happened to me a few years ago during my undergrad days..,opened up a file that I had emailed myself, was just clicking save (not save as) and then the laptop crashed...8 hours of work gone....i was so pissed off, although I found that 2nd time around it was easier as had done thr research and probably produced a better piece of work because of it
  • Rob said:

Just put it down as a learning experience :-)

Yes ... Ive learnt that I'm a complete idiot! I'm going to give myself 15 minutes to cry before I crack on with it! Haha.
  • Sorry to hear it didn't work A2TR, I thought the usual thing it does was to put the recent ones in the drop down file menu or under file/open. Hope you got it re-done in time!
  • Sorry to hear it didn't work A2TR, I thought the usual thing it does was to put the recent ones in the drop down file menu or under file/open. Hope you got it re-done in time!

No worries ET. I was thoroughly editing something and when I got back on the Mac it just had the original with no edits. Anyway, I'm running on less sleep, but no harm done - got it all completed.
  • I found a really old looking mac pc today in a store room that we are clearing

It looks like a monitor with a red see through plastic back no stand up unit so i gather its all in this huge monitor looking thing

Is it worth booting it up does it have any value?
  • like this NLA.....
    looks like an original i mac.
    Value ? probably very little,
    I would suggest you use it as a back up , but the operating system will probably need updating.
    Probably wrong, but I think the keyboard was generic to the colour?..... but that is probably myth?
    computer fair might be worth considering?
  • Sponsored links:

• Thats it mate but its red the key board with it is a see through red as well

It just looks cool might just put it away in the loft for 50 yrs
  • Didn't ever happen with a quill and parchment.

True. But fires did.

True. But fires did.
    That's true. Fire is no problem to Mac. It's got a firewall for a start.