Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My bad day at the office

I had a tough day at work on Friday. I work in software development and had a difficult challenge to overcome. I had worked on a similar project in September and hadn’t done a particularly good job, but I’m still in business and have enjoyed some really successful business over the last six months.

Perhaps, I got up in the wrong frame of mind on Friday morning; I can’t really explain it. I had handled a really difficult piece of work a few days beforehand and everything went right. In fact, it went ten times better than I had imagined. On Friday, I felt lethargic. I planned in my usual way, but something didn’t seem quite right.

At some time during the latter part of the morning, I kicked my desk in anger. I realised I had got frustrated and went off to the tea room. All my colleagues congratulated me on being good at my work as I marched disconsolately to the tea room. I just knew today was going to be a bad day.

The afternoon was no better, although it could have been worse, I suppose. All the things that I could do wrong seemed to happen on the same day. People would wonder how this could happen after completing such an inspired piece of work a few days earlier.

I decided not to over-react. There’s always next week. I am not out of business. I have my head above water. I’m doing better than the last couple of years and I have had some successes over the last six months. I think I just had a bad day at the office. It will come right next week especially if everyone shows the right amount of support.

Comments

• Thanks for sharing Chris.
  • Hey, hang on a sec.... is this.... is this a- a metaphor?!
  • Great philosophy, tma.

" After all, tomorrow is another day " as Scarlett famously stated..

Using your story as a parallel to yesterday's performance in SE7 ( which I'm assuming was your intention?) I believe most of us on here want to remain positive and move on towards the next game with renewed hope.

The difference is that we, the fans are not in control of "our" destiny - we indeed can play a significant part in the outcome of each match ( Cardiff) but it's primarily the players and the management that are responsible for our feelings of success & wellbeing come 5pm every other Saturday.

" It will come right next week especially if everyone shows the right amount of support ". Let's hope that everyone takes note of this both on & off the pitch when Burnley come to town.
  • Thai Malaysia Addick out. He's a clown. He's taken the business as far as he can.
  • Off_it said:

Thai Malaysia Addick out. He's a clown. He's taken the business as far as he can.

LOL

• edited February 2013
    Off_it said:

Thai Malaysia Addick out. He's a clown. He's taken the business as far as he can.

Heck, how did you know that a work in a circus and not in software development?

• problem is Thia, my son, is that I've seen you work a lot this past 6 months and there has frankly been too many "bad" days for my liking and you don't seem to be learning from your mistakes.............one or two bad days happen, but I've not seen you put in a good perforamce in the office on a Saturday at all this year.
  • Listen to Golfie Thai. He knows you know.
  • problem is Thia, my son, is that I've seen you work a lot this past 6 months and there has frankly been too many "bad" days for my liking and you don't seem to be learning from your mistakes.............one or two bad days happen, but I've not seen you put in a good perforamce in the office on a Saturday at all this year.

I am not sure about being your son, golfaddick. Anyhow, the thing you are forgetting, Dad, is that I usually work well when I am away from the office.
  • I blame the office carpet Thai. :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Did 15000 people come from all over the country to see this piece of work you did ?
  • Thats all very well , but do people think your a world beater on your good days, doomed and heading for bankruptcy on bad days or will they wait and access your performance over the year and continue to support you throughout the ups and downs?
  • Just say Solly, Thai.
  • I blame your midriff, it's all over the place and not helping you move forward :-
  • best thread of the day.I laughed more reading this than I did at Seabourne v Ipswich.
  • timken said:

best thread of the day.I laughed more reading this than I did at Seabourne v Ipswich.

You laughed at me having a bad day!
  • Hope you have a better day today Thai, try getting one of those 'stress balls' or something. ;-0
  • I laughed most at "OFF-IT" suggesting you be sacked as you had taken the business as far as you can.
  • I hear through the grapevine that TMA had a cracking day today. Against all the odds he brought a project in on time and under budget, even though the team he has around him are clueless and operating at a level up from where they should be. Also, I understand that the board haven't invested in the business for a while now, so he's having to make do with old kit and the like.

However, I still think he's rubbish and has got to go. I could do a better job, even though I live miles away and know f all about IT.

• Off_it, many thanks for your concern.

I got up as usual on Monday morning. Some people were beginning to say that the reason for my bad day on Friday was that I was really from a lower standard and struggling to compete with the second tier of companies.

Further, there was talk that one of my team, who was sought after by one of the top companies, was totally inept. I understand why people say such things, but I can honestly say that I do my best.

Anyhow, Monday was a different day. Early on, I won a decent contract and then around mid-morning, my confidence came back such that I could stop at lunch and look back and wonder how I had performed so badly on Friday. By late afternoon, I had had so much success that I could afford to relax. Some people saw this as a bad sign. I admit that I was tiring by the end of the afternoon and I probably should have let some other people in the company handle my work, but it all finished OK this time (unlike a few weeks ago).

As I left the office for the day, there was a buzz around the company. It seems that everyone thinks we can now compete at the highest level even if it means doing some extra work at the end of the year.

On Friday, it was felt that a lot of extra investment was needed in the company, but today the sheer effort of my team has convinced everyone that we are a great unit. Sometimes, I think that my colleagues are fickle, but then again software development is a funny old game.
  • Sponsored links:

• good while it lasted but milked to death now?