Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone been to Milan?

I have to go to Milan in the near future. I'm not much of a European traveller, so can anyone tell me if it is the sort of place to tack on a weekend of tourism with my good lady wife or is it dull?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Took my missus there and had a nice weekend last year.

Enough touristy stuff to do for a weekend. Didn't manage to get to the San Siro :(

The ice cream is amazing so find a local parlour and tuck in!
  • It's an incredible city...but the shitty bits are really shitty. Very cosmopolitan with the friendliest and most helpful people you could wish to meet. Doesnt quite eclipse Rome but I know where I'd rather live.
  • The square (Doumo?) is nice and your missus will love the shops if she is like most women

I went there with the lads and didn't think that much of it though, very industrial outside of the tourist bit plus we were young and on a budget and the price of a lager was ridiculous

I'll still go back when we get them in the champions league though
  • Went there with some mates and, due to the underground closing down (not sure if this was scheduled or emergency) we had an opportunity to see the city on foot, albeit somewhat briefly as we ran from one end of town to the other to get our train. It is a lovely place in general and I'd like to go back. We also did the tour of the San Siro, which was very interesting but not sure your missus will appreciate it.
  • It's allright, not the most exciting place in Italy though, as very much the commercial City of Italy
  • Lovely, lovely city. Infact, I would say one of my favourites.

Do the San Siro tour, think its only 12 euros? The roof top tour of the Duomo Catherdral is a must and I recommend a little joint called L'Immagine Ristorante Bistro. Best restaurant in Millano, they spoil you rotten with free food and wine.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d1629070-Reviews-L_Immagine_Ristorante_Bistrot-Milan_Lombardy.html
  • Very commercial but I was working every hour god sent while there so didn't get to do any touristy stuff.

Strongly recommend the Hotel Pierre though - lovely little place and food to die for
  • edited February 2013
    Been to a lot of places in Italy and Milan is my least favourite town or city. The duomo and square is brilliant, but otherwise I'd recommend elsewhere to be honest. Tuscany would be good with the missus, you can fly for cheap to Pisa and although it's crap, Florence and Siena are nearby.

If you are set on Milan, then get a train up to Lake Como. Should take less than an hour. Beautiful place hemmed in by the Alps, and if you're up for it you can hop over the Swiss border through Chiasso for the afternoon.
  • Thanks, all. Some excellent advice. Taking the train up to Lake Como sounds good. I am not sure I will be able to sneak off to the San Siro for a few hours!
  • If you do go to Como, then make sure you go up the fernicular railway, you get a great view over the Alps into Switzerland. Also a nice bar up there for sunset.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll let you know in 10 days time: going to see AC Milan v. Lazio Rome a week on Saturday.
  • I have to go to Milan in the near future. I'm not much of a European traveller, so can anyone tell me if it is the sort of place to tack on a weekend of tourism with my good lady wife or is it dull?

Dull and over-priced, the Duomo (Cathedral) and surrounds (which include La Scala) are worth a visit as is the Last Supper painting and there are plenty of cafes to hang around if you like that sort of thing but there's not much else to do. Milan is very urban and the centre of finance in Italy so a bit like the Square Mile in London it's great if you have money.

You can hop on a train and be in Verona in under a few hours and/or you could head to the lakes north of Milan as alternatives.

• The old town of Bergamo is also recommended. Needs two separate ferniculars to get to the top!
  • Years ago i lived in Milan for a year. Nice city. There actually is enough to see in the city itself without going outside to Como/Maggiore etc. Nice bars and restaurants plus enough to see over a weekend. Plenty of advice already given.
  • Rob said:

Years ago i lived in Milan for a year. Nice city. There actually is enough to see in the city itself without going outside to Como/Maggiore etc. Nice bars and restaurants plus enough to see over a weekend. Plenty of advice already given.

Rob, how far away from the city is Lake Como?
  • RobRob
    edited February 2013
    Hmm. It's about 1 hour from Milan to lake Como. Train is the best option. It really is beautiful up there.
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah, just checked and most of them from Cadorna (metro station) are 50-60 minutes, and put you right by the lake.

Bergamo I liked but is one of the most unfriendly places I've been anywhere. 'Bergamasco pezzo di merda!' as the song goes.

• La Scala is worth a look.

The German beer house has an impressive range of glass shapes for serving beer.
  • Nice food, but not a very nice town imo. For a weekend with the missus, I'd say Rome, Florence, Venice or Palermo (my personal favourite).
  • Really nice city. Check out La Scala
  • Sponsored links:

• Once again, thanks to everyone for all the advice. Lake Como sounds a nice option with a bit of Milan thrown in.
  • when I went with 3 non football loving people (2 boys and 1 girl) I dragged them all to the san siro first before they started all that shopping nonsense, and they loved it. I dont see how anyone would not enjoy it. its massive!
  • Only experience of italy was through backpacking way back when i was a student. Memories of milan are limited to one night sleeping on the floor of a train station with my belongings chained to me. Don't go to pisa, as the locals told us, it only has the tower (we then found that out for ourselves!). Lake como is lovely.
  • Go regularly we have an office there. Great city and plenty to do for a weekend would suggest taking a trip to Bergamo that is really picturesque. Mind you take plenty of dough it's not a cheap place
  • I don't think Pisa is a likely destination anyway: it's about 175 miles from Milan!
    If I've got my brain in gear, I think Bergamo was the place we flew into when we played Brescia in the Anglo-Italian and we got a few hours to wander around. It was a nice town.
  • Depends what you like but if you are getting the train to Como I recomMend the eastern side of the lake. Stop at Varenna and you can get the boat very cheaply to menaggio and bellagio from there as well. The trains are good and not too pricey. Have a look and see if Albergo Milano has any rooms. Good value and if the missus doesn't like the breakfast terrace with the lake views get a new wife. Varenna is IMHO the best little town on the lake
  • I went there on business for an overnight and stayed just off the main square. As Charlton_hero has said, the Duomo rooftop tour is excellent and there is also a very good rooftop bar opposite it on top of a department store, where we had a mini Prosecco frenzy with free nibbles/canapes. There is apparently a statue somewhere in the Cathedral where football fans offer up prayers - maybe you can offer up a few for our home form.

The other place that I really enjoyed was the nearby Brera Gallery, which has some great paintings.
  • The cathedral (Duomo) and the adjacent galleria are truly jaw dropping as is the san siro, even if you're not into football. I think you could do most of the touristy things in Milan in a weekend, if you want to do the Last Supper book in advance as they ration the number of people going in.

After dark the canal area (Porto Genova on the metro) is good although there seems to be a lot of antique shops replacing bars at the moment.

As others have said there are good rail connections to places like Como and Bergamo which are both really nice, Verona is about 1 1/4 hours but well worth the effort. Depends how much stamina you've got!

• Doesn't apply to you really but Italian women are gorgeous and well up for it. Went to Siena and Florence last summer. Was absolutely awesome.
  • Depends what you like but if you are getting the train to Como I recomMend the eastern side of the lake. Stop at Varenna and you can get the boat very cheaply to menaggio and bellagio from there as well. The trains are good and not too pricey. Have a look and see if Albergo Milano has any rooms. Good value and if the missus doesn't like the breakfast terrace with the lake views get a new wife. Varenna is IMHO the best little town on the lake

Take this advice...got locked in a car park east side and had to stay all night watching a firework display the other side of the lake, stoned off our tits! Fooking brilliant.