Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• We went to see Top Hat yesterday. Was fantastic definitely recommend
  • Saw "we will rock you" a few weeks ago as have to say I was totally underwhelmed by it.
  • cafckev said:

Saw "we will rock you" a few weeks ago as have to say I was totally underwhelmed by it.

I've heard it rumoured that it has a story line :)

• Went to see Metamorphosis at the Lyric Hammersmith last week. An Icelandic Theatre company, but in English with great accents (dialogue very well delivered), a teriffic set, and excellent physicality. easily a 7, and for my money a better experience than most. Have seen three things in recent times at the Lyric, all memorable and a bit experimental.
    Saw an amdram Hedda Gabler in beckenham, also last week, which was decent enough.
  • Oh forgot to add my recent outings on here.

The 39 steps - brilliant! Loved it! Didn't know what to expect as has done no research but thought it was great.

Viva forever - hmm. Story was worse than mamma Mia but it got better as it went on. I just regret paying so much for top price seats and being the only one in the row. Could have paid half and then moved. Half full. 2 of the slide girls were there and there was a lot of hysterical screaming which was annoying. They are changing it apparently. They need to include more hits from the beginning and cut out some of the lines. Voices great though.
  • In Jan I went to see Starlight Express on tour in Brighton. Having seen the show in London many times in the 80s, i was really looking forward to it. The songs were ok, but the dancing and 3D part of the show was really bad. Its gone from having around a mile of track to a very small stage and using videos of the races. If you are thinking pf going, save your money!
  • Les Miserables for us, seen it many times never disappoints. Got it on film, cd, forget the inference of the title, it is wonderfully entertaining.
  • saw Billy Elliott a few weeks ago, amazing show......taking the kids to see Milkshake at Dartford this saturday
  • edited February 2013

saw Billy Elliott a few weeks ago, amazing show......taking the kids to see Milkshake at Dartford this saturday

Me too, hoping a couple of the fit presenters are there!
  • saw billy Elliot a while back great show would recommend, language bit rich nothing the kids havent heard before i suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• saw Billy Elliott a few weeks ago, amazing show......taking the kids to see Milkshake at Dartford this saturday

the only reason I've agreed to be dragged along!

Slip away after 10 minutes and meet in the bar?
  • Going to see One Man, Two Guvnors tonight.

Slip away after 10 minutes and meet in the bar?
    sounds a better option!

• Plaaayer said:

Going to see One Man, Two Guvnors tonight.

Be interested to know what you think. I saw it a couple of years ago at the National with James Corden in it. It was good, it was funny but having read plenty of reviews before and after I wonder if I saw the same show as others. The reaction to it was so over the top. Funniest play EVER!!! Blah, blah. As I say I enjoyed it but no more than many other plays I've seen.
  • Went to the Almedia Theatre last night and saw the World Premier of a new play called 'Chimerica'. The play is written by an American playwright Lucy Kirkwood, and deals with the relations/comparisons with China and America, and amongst other things hangs the story around the 'tank man' of Tiannamen Square.
    Pretty filmic, lots of scene changes, doubling up, costume changes, and although a serious subject it had a lot of laughs. Interesting staging with a revolve to help each scene and a lot of use of projection. I thought it was a pretty good play, new and current, thought provoking if you are interested in the subject matter, well acted and directed. About an 8 in my book.
  • Went to see The Audience with Helen Mirren on saturday. She was absolutely brilliant. Funny in parts and poignant in others. Highly recommended. Catch it while she is still i it though - an incredibly brilliant actor.

On the other hand if any of you are considering going to see the Lumberjacks show (three pretty shite Canadian comedians) currently touring, the please please don't. Saw it in Bracknell last night and was sad to have wasted over 2 hours of my life. Crass, un-funny bullshit. Playing St Albans tonight and christ knows where then. Maybe Dartford........be warned!
  • Am putting on a Play next week at The Progress Hall Admiral Seymour Road SE9.Thursday,Friday and Saturday kick off 7-45 A Woman in Mind by Alan Ayckbourn.Well worth seeing.
  • dickplumb said:

Am putting on a Play next week at The Progress Hall Admiral Seymour Road SE9.Thursday,Friday and Saturday kick off 7-45 A Woman in Mind by Alan Ayckbourn.Well worth seeing.

Are you the director?

• went to see Chorus Line a couple of weeks ago. It was great!

Anyone booked to see The Committments musical out this autumn?
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Plaaayer said:

Be interested to know what you think. I saw it a couple of years ago at the National with James Corden in it. It was good, it was funny but having read plenty of reviews before and after I wonder if I saw the same show as others. The reaction to it was so over the top. Funniest play EVER!!! Blah, blah. As I say I enjoyed it but no more than many other plays I've seen.
    Apologies, only just seen this.

It was certainly very funny, but as for funniest play ever I'm not so sure.

Rufus Hound was very good and in parts as I say it was very good, would certainly recommend it anyway.
  • £73 for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory anyone?

One presumes that includes a Golden Ticket?

£73? Greedy wonkas
  • Plaaayer said:

Riviera said:

Plaaayer said:

Rufus Hound was very good and in parts as I say it was very good, would certainly recommend it anyway.
    Daughter/son in law and son/daughter in law going tomorrow night.

• Plaaayer said:

Riviera said:

Plaaayer said:

What did they think Fanny?
  • Seeing Charlie & The Chocolate Factory on Friday. Paid £35 each about 3 months ago. Supposed ti have amazing effects etc. Would not have paid £73 each though. Will let you know what I think.
  • went to see Chorus Line a couple of weeks ago. It was great!

Anyone booked to see The Committments musical out this autumn?

yep - got tkts for Sept sometime
  • Plaaayer said:

Plaaayer said:

Riviera said:

Plaaayer said:

What did they think Fanny?
    They reported that it was excellent, Plaaayer.

Rufus Hound played the part that James Corden made his own and there were no complaints about his performance.

So, when are you taking me ????

• meldrew66 said:

Seeing Charlie & The Chocolate Factory on Friday. Paid £35 each about 3 months ago. Supposed ti have amazing effects etc. Would not have paid £73 each though. Will let you know what I think.

Keen to hear what you think of it as we picked up a leaflet when we went to see "Thriller" a few weeks back with a trip for the grandkids in mind.